How to make 1 rca out from the head unit, run two amps?

Username: Hockeyz39

Post Number: 1
My headunit only has one RCA out, I have two 12" subs hooked up with there own amp. I am ordering component speakers all around and I want to install a separate amp to power them.

My question is how do I run the one RCA wire to both amps? The new amp I am buying for the speakers has a line out, but will that send the right signal to the amp powering the sub? The sub amp only has a "low out" so I am pretty sure that would not send the right signal to the speaker amp. I know about electronic crossovers, but I would like to know if there is a way to do this with out purchasing one, b/c $$$ is always an issue.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Noviceinstaller

Here, There

Post Number: 99
it is supposed to be low out itll werk fine

Bronze Member

Here, There

Post Number: 100
the signal going into yer amp from HU is low aswell, the hi level in is for head units w/o low level outs (RCA).

Silver Member

Here, There

Post Number: 102
another way (which is pointless if ur amp has outs) is to buy 2 RCA Y cables about a dollar

Post Number: 2
Ok so if I just hook up another set of RCA in my current amps "low out" rca jacks and connect it to the "high in" rca jack on my new amp it will power my front 4 speakers with the correct highs???

Post Number: 3
I was thinking just running an rca from my sub's amp to my speakers amp would make which ever amp was second in line run off the same signals (low or high)

Silver Member

Here, There

Post Number: 104
srry---some do--some dont, my kenwood doesnt---- but if u run it thru ur new amp 1st as long as u have the filter off it should werk that way, or u could get an external crossover 4 yer amp n the Y cables, their are a lot of low priced ones.

Silver Member

Here, There

Post Number: 105
will u b using the filters on yer new amp, i dont use filters for full range speakers, i dont think many people do hence the term "full range"

Post Number: 4
dont know what "filters" are for to be honest.

Here is the amp I am planning to purchase for the speakers up front:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=113KAC6402&s=0&cc=01

Will this one work for the line out going to the sub?

Post Number: 5
Never mind I just realized that amp does not have an out, the first one I was looking at is out of stock... :-( let me find another.

Post Number: 6
How about two of these? If I did rca from one to the other then to the sub?

Silver Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 201
alright well to be able to manage all your fronts rears and subs, you need 3 sets of rca outs on your HU. I suggest getting a different HU that has 3 preouts before doing anything else. save you lots of time and frustration

Post Number: 7
Well here is the thing, the headunit/sub/amp were all free. I am paying for the component speakers and the second amp, I do not have enough $$$ to buy another headunit. So if I get this 4-channel amp:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=489AP740

Would I be able to use the RCA out to send the right signal to the amp powering the sub?

Silver Member

Here, There

Post Number: 106
wuddayu mean "How about two of these? If I did rca from one to the other then to the sub?"

Silver Member

Here, There

Post Number: 107
u can run the rca to the "profile" 1st, then run another set 2 ur sub amp, that will werk.

Post Number: 8
Ok cool, thats what I will do. Just found out that AMP is out of stock, cannot seem to find another one that is 60watts X 4 with a rca out and is under $180

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11637
http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/activexo.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us