2 channel bridged amp driving a 2 ohm load? Pro Help Needed

Anonymous
I recently bought an older Alpine 2 channel amp that claims to be 450w bridged into a mono mode. I plan to hook up a single Fosgate 10" HX2 DVC sub to this amp (can handle 500w rms 2ohm). My question is whether or not I will damage the amp by running a 2ohm load to a bridged 2 channel amp. I've read somewhere these amps operate at 4ohms when bridged, so will I damage the amp if I put a 2ohm load to it?

Derek
You mention that the Fostgate 10 has "DVC" in its name. That usually means you have Dual Voice Coil. I would imagine the 2 ohm rating is "per coil". Wire them in series and you have 4 ohms (and double the power handling). Sounds like you should have exactly what you need.

Jon
Derek,

The 10" HX2 has dual 4 ohm voice coils, I don't know how to wire these to get my amplifier to see it has a 4 ohm load. All the wiring diagrams I've found only shows how to get that sub into a 2 ohm. Do you have any suggestions? Will I blow my amp if I hook up a 2 ohm load to it when it's not rated to handle 2 ohm bridged?

Derek
You probably wont blow it up. I have a 12" Kicker DVC (4 ohms each) and have it wired for 2 ohms. When I turn it up too loud, my Sony 760 simply turns off. I have to turn the stereo off and back on to get bass. When I get a chance I will break the bridge and run one channel to each voice coil. I already have two line levels audio runs to the amp anyway. I suggest you do the same. The amp has higher damping and is more stable when it is NOT bridged. You get the same power (225x2 is still around 450 watts total). So you are not loosing anything. Alternatively, you could wire the voicecoils in series and present an 8 ohm load to the amp. The amp will be VERY happy to drive such an easy load but doubling the impedence cuts the power in half. You will end up with about 225 watts x 1. If you want the amp to see 4 ohms - break the bridge.

Sven
Hey Derek... I keep running into you.

I have a question about a nice amp I found that is a monophonic amplifier with 300 W RMS at 8 ohms and provides 1x XLR input + 1x Cinch input wählbarselectabel. I need a power amp to feed 2 front speakers... so can I >>DE-bridge<< a mono amp and power fron left & right speakers? Will I be able to play them in stereo or pro logic II sound if I use a reciever with pre-outs and this mono amp?

Sven
Oh yeah, the amp I'm talking about is a Vincent SP 991 Class A type amp with a toroidal 1.500 W transformer, a total capacitance of 120.000 mF for energy storage and 24 power transistors from Toshiba... whatever that means. The Class A power is 1x100 W RMS at 8 ohms. Though this is a nice amp, my main objective is powering 2 power hungry dynaudio towers with a sensitivity of 86 dB and an average impedance of 5.3 ohms. So is it worth the hastle of trying to get this amp to feed 2 speakers (if it's even possible) or find another amp... a stereo amp?

Thanks

Similar advice.
Run your HX2 in parallel to each of your channels on your 2 channel amp. Do NOT bridge it. There is no need to wire your sub in series. When you wire it in series you don't double the power handling, you just cut the power in half by doubling the resistance. That just means it will only get half the power from the amp. Yea its safe but half as loud. If you bridge your stereo amp you'll be at 1ohm. Few amps can run at 1 ohm, but some can. Running it parallel to two channels is safe for the amp and sub.

junglejuice
Sven ths amp will feed 2 speakers but the result will be mono as it is a 1 channel amp.....
If you want stereo buy a stereo amplifier...

i have a sony 1000w amp and 2 sony xplod 12's both the subs can take 900w each if i bridge this amp and run the subs in series will it make a safe 2-ohm load?

Dave
Stile,

Uh no...

If you bridge the amp and run the 12s in series you'd be running at whatever the total ohmage of the 2 speakers is combined, (probably 8ohms if there both single 4ohms), if you run them in parallel though, then you'd get a 2ohm load.

I have a sony 760w amp and (1)JL audio 12w4(dual voice cone). i ran the wires to the speaker in parallel (2 ohms) and when i turn up the volume my amp shuts off. i have not wired it in series (8 ohms) yetand through this message board I learned that I will lose alot of power if i do it that way. So is there any way to wire 1 speaker to get 4 ohms off it and if not what would be the best thing to do to get maximum power out of my amp?

Brian
i have a 300 w amp and i would like to connect 2 subwoofers in the same bridged channel what will happen if i do that??

Anonymous
I have a amercan pro 600Watts is that agood amp plus i brige to speakers togeter will i hurt my system

i have a memphis 250d rms class d amp......and it can be brigded at at min.2 ohms stable......i have 2 12 profermance tech subs that are a 1000 watts a piece..(dvc). the sub are also wired for 2 ohms. the questions is can the subs be brigded to the amp or are they better off ran on separate channels?

How do you bridge a 2 channel amp to 1 speaker? I have the speaker and amp, but i can't bridge it. The speaker, and amp work at 4 ohm. I also need to know what size fuse to use on a Jensen XA-92 88w amp

I have Dual 15" Audiobahn 1000W 4 ohm.
What amp do i need with that?
How to bridged that?

i have an orion hcca 12d and an fosgate 800a2 amp. the orion is a dual 2ohm sub, how should i wire it so that it outputs the most power?

I have 2 dual 12" p miller subs and a mono block rockford fosgate amp. How do I hook the subs up as a series?

mike
is the fosgate 800a2 stable at 1ohm?

Derek-

I have a soundstream spl 10 (DVC), (the old kind, before they sold out) and it has two 4 ohm voice coils. but the amp that i have is not 2 ohm stable, pioneer gm-x972, so what would be a better bet to wire it at 8 ohms bridged. or to wire one voice to each channel and not bridge the amp. Is it safe to wire one voice coil to each channel or will i damage the speaker? how can i get the best kick from this amp without damaging anything?
Please email me back

Hello! I am new at this... Can someone tell me the difference between a two channel amp and a four? What would determine which one I need.? I am installing a new cd player and speakers in my car. I am getting Infinity Kappa's 6x9's and they want more power fed to them than what a reciever 50x4 watts can give. I want to do this right.......the first time. Know-what-I-mean? I am not getting any subs. The Kappa's end up sounding like 8" subs are hooked up when fed more power from an amp...they say. Please help! I am a Chic. :-)

well, are you installing four new speakers or two? the number of speakers you want to power is the number of channels you want.

ie: 2 6x9s would be powered by a 2 channel amp.
4 6x9s would be powered by a 4 channel amp.

Thanks, Derek I.
I am installing 2 6x9's. But what about my two front speakers, not sure what size they are going to be, but is it okay to feed them additional power, too?

Thanks...

yes, you want your front speakers to have the same amount of power as the back, if not more, you either want it all even or towards the front. you dont want to draw your soundstage to the back.

Brandy
Gotcha, Derek.
My two 6x9' are 330watts each....not sure what the front ones will be. I will find the best, I hope. What watt amp do you recommend?
:-)
Thanks.
p.s. Thank you so much for your help. You are so very kind.

well, you will not need to be putting 300 watts to those speakers thats for sure.

if you are planning on getting a 4 channel amp, i'd recommend the USX-4065. you can find this at www.thezeb.com for a fairly good price.

as for helping, thats what im here for. i enjoy helping with whatever i can.

Brandy
DEREK,

Even though my reciever will only push 50 watts to each speaker? I couldn't use way more power? The speakers are 330watts each (6x9's) I want the most out of them. The two front ones are gonna be 135watts each. I just want each speaker performing at its full potential. I don't want any unused. Know-what-I-mean? So, for two 330watt speakers and two 135watt speakers, what wattage would I need from an amp?. I see you recommend the usx-4065, but I would like to keep my options open to other brands.

Thanks again.

well, before you choose any other brands, please run them by me first or look at my list of brands to buy/not to buy. I dont want you to buy a POS amp and regret it later.

here, i'll tell you something. if you look at most major brands that sell speakers, the wattage on them is usually from 50-100 watts, after that, it just gets to be too much, and you dont get the sound quality you want or need. this is why i recommended the 4065. it is handing out 65 watts to each channel, which will be more than enough for your application. in my cavalier i have an amp pushing 25 watts to each channel and it hurts my ears at some points, so im sure 65 watts will be fine. dont try to overdo it, it may sound worse than you expect.

Brandy
DEREK,

You are absolutely correct. I totally agree. I am just trying to find the BEST. I am only doing this once and I want it to be the best it can be the first time. I have done a lot of searching on the internet for customer reviews on speakers. There were nothing but incredible things to be said about these Infinity Kappa's I've bought. Any other brands that I looked up got moderate praise. So, that took care of that deal with "what speakers should I get?"

Now, the amp. I will, for sure, run them by you. I trust your judgement.

What in the world is a POS amp?

Oh, and does ID-3 tag on a cd player/reciever mean that it will read each song/artist/album and display it for you on the screen.?

What cd player/reciever do you recommend?
I have been into this Premier Pioneer one. The Deh-p550mp. Supposedly the Premier versions that Pioneer puts out is the "high class" for Pioneer. Not sure why it is better than their regular ones. Any input is welcome.

Thank you !!!

Pioneer head units are some of the best you can buy. I recommend any of them so you are fine in that respect. you may also want to look into alpine and eclipse. clarions higher line head units are good. the JVC Digifine series is great as well(SH-707 or SH-909)(SH-505 isnt the best but its alright).

yes, the ID will let you name your cds and songs.

kappas are the best speakers you can buy for the money, i have kappa 4x6s in one of my cars. Always go for the kappas if you dont have enough money for the real high end stuff. they will do well in most any situation.

Brandy
DEREK,

What are the high end speakers? What are the best in your opinion.....6x9's and 4x6's??? I ended up choosing the Kappa's b/c of the incredible reviews about them.

ID-3,,,,,Do I have to program the information into the reciever? Or does the reciever read any CD you put into it.??? I was under the impression that the CD's get read by the reciever and it displays it on the screen....

Oh, and I figured out what POS amp means. Sorry....I can be a little slow at times.!LOL.!
That is exactly why I am asking questions first. Computers are great! I can look up any product and look up sites that have great people like you wanting to help poor saps like me when it comes to this.

I think I will look up the JVC recievers and the other brands you mentioned, as well. I am shopping on eBay for all of my equipment. Except for the amp. They don't have that usx-4065 you recommended. It is nice to see I have my options open for other cd/recievers. I don't like to feel that I have to pursue one particular brand/model so hard.

If there are some incredible 6x9's out there, I want to know about it. I am trying to keep away from subs b/c I love my trunk space and I am more of a rock 'n roller than a bass junkie. I do like everything except for country and a lot of the B.S. rap that is out today. I want LOUD and CLEAR...

I hope I am not being unlogical. I am spoiled by my home Cerwin's says my hubby. We live in an apartment...so, I can't crash the building with them suckers...I want to be able to get into my car and blast off...know-what-I-mean?

Thanks a bunch! AGAIN! You are great!
Thanks for being caring about all this.

no problem, when i get a person that is mature about things and handles things like an adult, im more than happy to help. i am a moderator on another forum so i have plenty of experience with both sides of the coin. Anyways, the USX-4065 that i suggested was at a website(www.thezeb.com). with the ID head units i have seen in the past, you had to program the titles n such into the receiver. They may have come further in that arena since i've worked with that type of thing so i dont know at the moment.

for 4x6s, the best i've seen are the infinity kappa PLATE 4x6s(a plate 4x6 is a 4" round speaker and a tweeter next to it on a plate that fits the speaker area in your car) oval speakers are not as good as round speakers in any case, especially for your front sound stage, its hard to explain so i'll just say they're better just because lol.

for 6x9s you have a lot of options, in one of my cars at the moment i am running Polk 6x9s, so for 6x9s, i'd go with infinity kappa, mb quart, CDT, JL audio, Polk, Focal(if u really wanna get expensive)

heres a link to the focals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039160380&category=14942

nakamichi

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039458055&category=14942

there we go.

hehe, i love helping people, actually, if u really wanted to talk to me and get things done a little quicker you could email me and i could give you my home phone. if you feel more comfortable in this type of situation, its understandable, but it may be easier and quicker as well.

-Derek
(click on my name at the beginning of the post to email)

Brandy
DEREK,

Hey, You are right about the 4x6 kappa plates. I went to some website and put in the make/model/year of my car and that is what they gave me as my choice---plates. So, I then went to see if Infinity had those, and sure enough,,,,yep! How cool is that? The site never gave me any other option for 4x6's..guess it is b/c they are going in my front dash?...I've got a 1990 caprice interceptor. I love this car.

I will check into the other speakers. I already purchased my 6x9's so I guess I'll just stick with them. But I will check out the other ones. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Do you think with some great 6x9's, 4x6's, and a good amp, I will be able to achieve the loud crisp powerfulness? I know I am not gonna sound like some of these numbnuts running all over town with what sounds like a thunderstorm instead of music. I just want hard hitting loud and crisp sound.

I can't wait to have all this done! I am a music junkie! It will be so great to FINALLY jam out.!

Thanks again.
If I need to call, I will. I am slowly coming up with questions, so, this may be better so I am not ringing your phone off the hook..LOL
Brandy

haha, its all good, i could actually give u my cell number to call me if its after 9:00 or on the weekends cuz i get free night n weekends. but back to the discussion. yes, the setup will sound good with the 4x6 plates and the 6x9s, but i'd still recommend maybe a small 8 inch sub and a maybe 150 watt amp. that will fill out the low end that you will be lacking from the 6x9s and it wont sound like a thunderstorm either. just nice clean bass.

heres the amp that i recommended for a small sub:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039791367&category=18797

heres the sub i'd recommend:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039363251&category=18802

this would be better if you can:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3038584361&category=18802

dont worry about your trunk space with a sub this small, it will barely take up anything, i recommend a small sub, but if you want to go without it, you should be fine.

Brandy
Derek,
I have this discussion on favorites so I can refer back to it if I find I want more than what I have. Thank you so much.

I was talking to a friend and he said I could possibly get "whining" in the sound system if the amp is not grounded properly???? What the hell??? His whines and he said our audio store out here, "Mobile One" couldn't figure out where it was coming from. He then said he thought it was his amp b/c that is all he could figure and the amp was given to him....hence....he doesn't know the history or conditon of it, really.

What are the chances I would get "whining" and what causes it?

Oh, and what watt amp do I need to push everything? Is the usx-4065 enough watts even if I decide to add an 8 inch sub?? Or should I get something more?

Thank you once again!

this "whining" is called alternator whine, it is caused sometimes by an improper ground, but most of the time it is caused by running the RCAs right next to the Power wire, this creates interference and thus the whine.

the USX 4065 will not be enough for the sub and the speakers at the same time. you will want to keep that on the speakers and get a separate amp for the sub. i gave you the link for the sub amp above.

Brandy
Derek,

Right, gotcha! I thought so! Just wanted to make sure that I had the amp thing right! I will stick with just my stuff I've got lined up right now....I have a Feeling that these speakers are gonna be incredible. I ought to send you some customer reviews from all the people out there that have them. I am really excited!

And for the whining, Gotcha on that one, too. I'll let my friend know.

You have been so wonderful! Thanks for all your help! I know I'll have another question, soon!

Enjoy your weekend!
Brandy

I have a question for you guys..
i recently got a new amplifier (a qsc usa 1300 btw) and i hooked up my front speakers to it.
just the other day i assembled a sub of stuff in my basement 2*12 gas the thing is i want to bridge my reciever in order to power this sub mono. will my precious collapse?
and also, the filter in the sub is 4 ohm and the subs are both 8ths bridged.. what is the total resistance of the subwoofer?
thx guys! peace

Brandy
HELLO!

Can anyone tell me what is up with cd player/recievers that say they can store music files off of your cd's--up to 10 hours worth. Does that mean it downloads the songs and you can play them without the cd in there?

can you show me an example? it may mean that, i'd have to take a look at the receiver you are speaking of to be sure.

Brandy
Hey, Derek! Where have you been? Nevermind the mp3, cd reading thing. I have a more important question! What is better for preamp output's? 4 volt, 5 volt, or 6 volt? Or,,,does it really matter? This guy/acquaintance that is hooking up everything in my car said that 5 volt is best, 6 is too much. ????? Any input? I want to narrow it down to the perfect cd/mp3 player for my car. There are too many specs to check for! I am going nuts!

haha, sounds like ur having a common problem, but anyways, 5 volt is good, i usually go 4 just because its the best for the price. some of the jvc digifine units put out 4, do mp3, and look great as well, but for your situation, it doesnt matter all that much, 4 would be fine. you arent going into a sound quality competition.

hope i helped Brandy
talk to u later

ps. do you have a messenger service ie: aol instant messenger, msn messenger, or yahoo messenger? that might also be an easier way to communicate quicker.

my aol screen name is xplicitblitzboi so you can contact me there if you want.

teflondog
hey brandy, the cd player/receiver that you were talking about in the previous post is the pioneer deh-p90hdd. it has a 10 gb hard drive that stores songs using a memory stick. if you forget your cd's at home, you can still listen to them if you saved them on your memory stick. the best part is that if your friend has the same receiver, you can just lend him your memory stick instead of dozens of cd's. cool huh? i just installed one yesterday and i'm pretty impressed. these headunits cost an arm and a leg though.

Brandy
Hey, Derek.,

True, I am not in a sound quality competition BUT I want everything to be the best it can be. It just gives me inner peace. he he he.

I put your name on my buddy list. I'll talk to you whenever I catch ya.

Thanks so much.

Brandy
teflondog,

Thanks for the info. I thought it was too good to be true that so many of them could store music now.

You are right about the cost on that deh-p90hdd! My gosh! It costs BOTH arms and legs!

Well, congrats to you on having and enjoying it! It is sweeeet.!!! Maybe one day....I'll get one.

Thanks a lot for your input and info! It is greatly appreciated!

Brandy
Hey, Derek,

How can a 6-volt preamp output be too much?

Question for you guys.....

I have a 2 channel Kenwood amp that claims to be 2-ohm stable (KAC-728s). I'm trying to run an Audiobahn 12" DVC sub off this amp(AW-1200Q), the coils are 4-ohm voice coils. Doing the math, I think I still don't understand the whole impedence - thing. If I bridge the two channels of my amp - that drops the impedence to 2-ohms, right?? Then, if I run the voice coils on the sub in parallel, they too are down to 2-ohm?? Does thaat mean the end result is a 1-ohm, mixed-mono load on my amp?? If that sounds about right, then I'll probly smoke my amp quick running that configuration. Can anyone suggest a better alternative to get max power out of my amp?? I'm stumped - I figured I'd better ask some people with more experience than me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, On a side note....

Has anyone ever installed/used BATCAPS? Do they work similar, if not better, than say a 1-farad cap one would normally put in a car?? Any feedback about experiences with BATCAPS would be appreciated also.

teflondog
hey steven, if you wire your sub in parallel, it will present a 2 ohm load to your amp. bridging your amp does not affect the impedence at all. you will still have a 2 ohm load no matter how your amp is hooked up to the sub. as for capacitors, they're a waste of time. since your amp puts out about 700 watts, just change your stock battery cables to 4 gauge wire. this will allow more current to travel through your electrical system to your amp thus eliminating the need for a cap.

teflondog
hey brandy, about your preamp output question...6 volts can sometimes be too much but it all depends on the amplifier you have. take a look at the instruction manual and look at the specs of your amp. it should state what the acceptable signal voltage range for the low level rca input is. many amps can accept up to 6 volts but some may not. either way, it's always better to play it safe and go with either 4 or 5 volts just for assurance.

Brandy
teflondog,

Hmmmm....interesting.

I've bought a U.S. Acoustics USX-4065.

I guess my friend was right. I believe the amp is like a 320 watt amp. The only reciever I can find with 5 volts that I like is the Panasonic CQ-DFX983U. It is nice looking. And has all the specs I am looking for. Do you have any input for this particular unit? I cannot find any reviews on the internet about it.

teflondog
i haven't had any experience with that particular model but panasonic makes pretty good receivers in general. they might not have all the fancy looks that other receivers have, but are pretty reliable and offer good sound quality. with a 5 volt preamp output, it will provide your amp with a good clean signal.

Brandy
Teflondog,

This reciever is supposedly a high end one from panasonic. I am not going to buy a cheap one. You get what you pay for. I don't know of any other 5 volt recievers. Alpine is the only other 'high end' one I've seen and it is UGLY.
LOL. The panasonic I am looking to buy is very cool looking to me. I like the dirt bikes and the race cars it has for screen savers. And the fact that it is a silver/gun metal with blue lighting is great too.

teflondog
that's good that you like it. most people just settle for stuff that they aren't too happy with. i agree about alpine receivers. they aren't much to look at but they sound great. that panasonic deck seems pretty cool. if it has screen savers then that's a good sign that it's not cheap. good luck and tell me how it goes.

Brandy
Thanks, teflondog!

I sure will. I wish the volt thing for the preamp didn't matter. I sure do like a couple of Pioneer's. But...I want the most out of my 'small' system. I'm only having 2 6x9's and the two front 4x6 plates. I'm running them off the amp instead of reciever and I want to do the best and get the best that I can to insure my infinity's are all being fed properly. I can't wait.

Now if only today weren't saturday. I could get a response from the guy I want to buy that Panasonic from. Oh well....I'll just have to wait.

hello all,

can anybody tell me if there is a way to wire 2 dvc 4 ohm subs so my amp can see a 2 ohm load. A friend told me I can "double wire" everything and that would lower resistance from 4 to 2 ohm, but I dont think that works.

If you know please help!

Matt
I just got a premier DEH-P550MP in an older car, any suggestions in the settings to get best possible sound quality from only 2 4" front speakers?

BRANDY
Ola! HI, Derek & Teflondog.
I got my system all hooked up. It is freaking incredible. Those infinity speakers are amazing. Oh, and I took your advice on the amp, Derek. I got the U.S. Acoustics amp. The guys I had doing my car, are very impressed with everything! I am totally blown away. The Panasonic head unit I have is absolutely amazing,too! It is the most quality made head unit I've ever seen...it's sooo user friendly and just beautiful. CQ-dfx983u is the model # in case anyone is curious.

I DO HAVE ONE PROBLEM! MY CAR STARTED THEN KILLED THREE TIMES TODAY AFTER I TRIED STARTING IT. I DROVE AROUND MY CITY A LITTLE BIT, NOT THE HIGHWAY, THOUGH. I WAS HITTING RED LIGHTS A GOOD LITTLE BIT. I parked my car, got out, filled my water bottles at the windmill. When I got back in it, and tried starting it, it started and killed three times! I took the face of my stereo off and then the car was fine. What the hell? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS IS HAPPENING AND WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN?

teflondog
make sure your car's alternator can handle the power of your amplifiers. check to see how many amperes the alternator puts out. also, don't play your stereo while the car is NOT running. that's a good way to kill your battery. i had the same problem like you once. it turned out my battery was runned down from playing music while the car was parked.

Brandy
Teflondog,

Yeah, I don't play music when my car is not running. That is why I don't understand why my car did what it did. When I got out of my car for the ten minutes, everything was off. I've got an interceptor police package Caprice. I just assumed that b/c the trans and the engine were massive that everything like the battery and alternator matched up for the task of running the car. I've never had one mechanical problem, ever, with my car. Only red lights were when the car was not moving and music playing. But I don't think that is something that would pose a problem. Who knows? What do you recommend I have checked out? If anything....

teflondog
it might be a coincidence that your car is acting up at the same time you got your system. i once blamed my system for car trouble when in reality, one of my battery cables was sliced. i'd check out the battery, alternator, and distributor. make sure proper energy flow is going through your system. the battery should read 12.3-13 volts when the car is off. it should read about 13.8-14.4 volts when the car is running. anything less than these readings means that you have a flaw in the electrical system. keep me updated.

teflondog
by the way, it puts a lot of stress on the alternator when you use a lot of electrical components at the same time. for example if you're driving at night with your headlights on, air conditioning/heater, and radio...it would be a bad idea to bump your bass really loud because depending on your alternator, it might not be able to handle these things all at once.

BRANDY
Teflondog,

I'll get my hubby to check those things out for sure. I'll let you know what the diagnosis is.

Yeah, I figured the a/c running and starting the car up with the stereo face on was stressing the alternator. Even if my stereo is "off" when the face is on, it is still firing up the display on its off mode. And the amp? That is why, I think, when I took the face off, the car started and stayed running.

I made a rule for myself to start the car and then put the face on. That seemed to be perfect all day yesterday.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Jay
I have two 10" in a loaded box with it's own speaker cup what do i do to bridged in to a 2ohm
for a 2 channel amp.

Jim Strong
Steve Miller,
I have a BATCAP 400 in my car. I also have a replacement 140 amp alternator. My amps ALLWAYS get 14.2 volts. I have put the DMM on the positive leads and checked several times, at all volume levels. I have 2400 (true clean) watts running through my system and it doesen't ever dip below 13.9VDC at the amps. I also have a 1f cap on the sub only. I had it so I kept it in, don't know if it even helps. Anyways the BATCAP will actually start my car. I have unhooked the main battery and it started right up, on the BATCAP alone. It IS a battery but is just has an awesome discharge rate.

I have a legacy 1600 watt amp and I have 2 concept 12's 6 ohm i would like to know how do I wire it to be like 2ohm or 4ohm? Beacause I have it bridged and its not beating like the 4 ohm I had before i got them in there. What do i do?

teflondog
you'd be lucky if that legacy put out even half of those watts. how many times do i have to say this; only look at rms ratings. peak power is b.s.

TrapKing03
He that Legacy amp is beating i had it beating in 2 volfenhag competetion 12's and I got a heavy chevy and my tunk was rattling like someone was in it hitting it with a bat or something that amp is good. But could you just tell me how to hook the 6ohm speakers up in 2 or 4 ohm mode please.

teflondog
well, you can't hook a 6 ohm speaker to 2 or 4 ohms. you can either double the resistance or reduce it by half. you can only hook it up to either 3 or 12 ohms. go to rockford fosgate's website and look at wiring wizard. it will teach you how to hook it up in series (to double the resistance) and to hook it up in parallel (to reduce the resistance by half).

Jim Strong
Don't buy flea market stereo equipment.... You are getting just that. Junk. Look around on Ebay and find quality equipment for the same price.

hey, i just got one Rockford Fosgate - 10" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer that i am planning on puting in my single cap pick up truck, it says its Capable of handling 400 watts (peak) and 200 watts RMS (continuous) and i dont know how powerful of an amp or what kind of amp i should get i would like to stick with Rockford Fosgate, also im not sure what bridging is all about.

Anonymous
What is the difference in running it 2 ohm or for ohm, and what does it mean when im running my subs 2ohm but getting a 1 ohm load...?

Mike Hunt
I have two Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD, and i bought this lame legacy 1200 watt amp stable at 2 ohm's. The subs impendance is 4 ohms, do i need to alter my amp in any way or can i just wire it up?

Anonymouse
Hey My C*unt,take it to a pro.It sounds like you cant replace the batteries in a walkman without fu*kin something up.

Mike Hunt
lol

I Have a Question 4 you guys. i have 2 single voice coil audiobahn subs and a 2 channel amp(which is 2-ohm stable). To wire my subs in parallel do i bridge the amp(will this damamge it. or do i need to use one channel

Mike and Ron, new questions should be a new thread please but I'll try to help.

Mike, the RFD series subs are available with either dual 4-ohm or dual 2-ohm voice coils. Knowing which you have is key to answering your question. There is also a 4-channel Legacy amp of that power and a 2-channel amp of that power...need to know which one. Drop me an email and I'll help you out as much as I can but I won't check this thread again :c)

Ron,
I assume that your subs each have a single 4-ohm voice coil. Bridging them together in parallel (pos to pos, neg to neg) will get you a single 2-ohm load. If your amp is 2-ohm stable in MONO mode (doubtful) then you can do this but most 2-channel amps are stable at 2-ohm stereo and 4-ohm mono.

Your best bet is to run the amp in stereo mode and put one sub on each channel.

THIS THREAD MUST DIE!!!!

Hey, I have a legacy 2000 watt amp and it only has 2 channels. both channels are a 2 ohm load. I'm tring to hook up 2 DVC 4 ohm subs. (2 ohm on each voice coil.) I have searched and seached for a wiring diagram but have had no luck. please help!!!

you all can suck the big black cahuna

Drew, your question has been answered a dozen times... try looking around. If you can't find your answer just email me and I'll send you a diagram.

Anonymous
I have a orion hcca amp I need to know how to bridge it

hi i have a memphis 16-1000d class amp and i'm having problems finding the diagrams to repair it when i hook up the main power it smokes i've change the chips that had burned and when i hook it back up different chips burn can you send me schematics or wiring diagrams or some advise to try to fix this problem.

Hi im a total novice at this sort of stuff.
I am planning to buy 2 x Sony 12" 900W Subwoofer, XM 1502SX 760W 2 Channel Amplifier. How do i wire this stuff up.

Anonymous
Adam, Go to www.rockfordfosgate.com, once there browse around and im sure you'll find a wiring diagram

Username: Gon_krazy

Post Number: 1
i have a zapco 3.0x rated at 75x2@4ohms stereo,150x2@2ohms stereo,300x2@1ohm stereo,300x1@4ohm bridged and 665x1@2ohm bridged.I've got 2 stroker single voice coil 4ohms 12's rated at 500 watts rms, 2 mtx thunder 8000 15's rated at 500 watts rms and 2 planet audio z-15 rated at 400 watts rms . what would be the best combo to put in an 86 cutlass? i've also got an autotek 333 & 222.............

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 7
I would say that Strokers are definitely the best

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 33
Keep the CV Strokers.
Nice amplifier by the way (Zapco)
dump the Planet Audio junk (Boss owns that company. more garbage.)
the MTX8000 are decent subs, but mediocre performers. I'd sell those to someone looking to start out in car audio.
probably sell off the Autoteks as well. Nice stuff. Underrated a bit. The company was known for making cheater amps for quite a while, but Zapco are far better amps.

Post Number: 2
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. I ALSO ASKED AN INSTALLER ABOUT THE BEST SET-UP, HE AGREED THAT THE ZAPCO AND THE STROKERS WERE THE BEST SET-UP.HE ASKED ME IF I WERE SERIOUS ABOUT MY SYSTEM(DUH).HE CUT ME A DEAL ON 4 PPI DCX-152 DUAL VOICE COIL 2 OHMS 15'S AND A ZAPCO C2K-9.0XD.THE 15'S ARE RATED AT 1000 RMS AND THE AMP IS RATED AT 2X300@4 OHMS STEREO,2X600@2 OHMS STEREO,2X600@1 OHMS STEREO,1X2200@4 OHMS BRIDGED AND 1X2200@2 OHMS BRIDGED.

Post Number: 3
GLASSWOLF .....THOSE AUTOTEK AMPS ARE THE OLDER VERSION..........NOT THE STUFF THEY PUT OUT RECENTLY.THEY WERE GIVEN TO ME BY A COUSIN.THEY WERE MANUFATURED IN 1995.I'VE ALSO GOT A 1999 TAHOE(RECENTLY BROKEN INTO)I WANT TO GO WITH THE ORION 2500D AND THE H2 15.2 OR THE 15.4'S SUBS.I NOTICED IN YOUR PROFILE THAT YOU HAVE A COUPLE OF THEIR PRODUCTS.I HAVE'NT HEARD ANY RAVE REVIEWS ABOUT ORION LATELY(I HEARD THAT THEY TOOK THE SAME APPROACH THAT AUTOTEK DID.....WITH THE QUANITY OVER QUALITY ISSUE). I REALLY LIKED THEIR HCCA LINE..........I JUST HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR NEW LINE.

Post Number: 58
yeah if you can stick to the older stuff for Orion, PPI, AUtoTek, and RF.
all of them have amazing stuff from the early 90s era, but recent products just aren't as good. Mostly being made overseas now, and to lower specs.
All of my Orion gear is older stuff from the late 80s and early 90s when it was some of the best you could buy.

Username: Motoman22

Hear that GlassWolf, I just can't seem to let go of my Linear 5002 (birthday of December 1989)

I don't know why the quality manufacturers bought into the overrating/under engineering practices of late. The newer RF stuff blows in comparison to the old Punch HD days...don't even get me started on the new Linear stuff. Grrr

Post Number: 17
Why dont we all get together and make a sub that has better Sound Quality than a RE HC and also higher SPL then A JLW7.I would do it.

Post Number: 69
have you looked at Onyx Mobile Audio subs?
www.onyxmobileaudio.com
they are currently one of my favorites for subs.
They are exactly what you're thinking. Oldschool installers who decided to say screw the huge corporate buyout companies, and they created Onyx to produce lower production number, high quality gear again, like the good old USA companies of old.
Check them out and read their site about their company philosophies. Great stuff.
I'm looking at a pair of their LSM12.2 subs on Zapco's flagship 3Kwatt amp, along with a set of DynAudio System 360 compnents up front on a Sinfoni AMPLItude 150.2x amplifier for my next system. I can't think of much better hardware to use than that.

Post Number: 18
Ive heard of those subs before and I notice their equipped with dual 3" Voice Coils would you happen to know the Xmas on them it doesnt say on that site 459 bucks a piece OUCH!!!!!I know of some Speakers that would absolutely crush ur Eardrums Eminence Beta Series 8" midrange loudspeakers I installed 32 yes 32 of them in a guys Escalade and I have 8 of them hooked up to each amp for a total of 4 amps powering them It was soooo loud he turned the volume on 3 and it hurt my ears and his volume goes up to 35.

Post Number: 82
just for reference, it's Xmax, which is a shorthand term in Thiele-Small specs for Maximum Excursion. (which you knew already)
I don't have the specs handy for the LSM line of subs. I'll dig around for them.
I was never really into SPL systems myself. I go after things like soundstage and imaging, off-axis imaging, overall SQ.. it'll still get loud, but I like having control over it as well, and like to have it sound good while it gets loud.. not just loud for loudness' sake, ya know?

Username: Derek_i

hehe, keep it in the vehicle right kiki? until the person next to you is in for it, then you just roll down the window ;)

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 5
Hey... I know you guys arent' gonna believe this... but 6 months ago when i started gettin into car audio, i bought a Virtual Reality Sound Labs amp, (Wal-Mart), and it was easily competeting with my next amp, the lightning audio b350/1. the walmart amp was rated at 250 watts x 2 channels... not sure about the rms rating. The amps were powering a 10' Infinity sub reference series... but i was amazed at the output of that walmart amp... It was severely underratted. Anyone know anything about these "Virtual Reality Sound Labs" amps?

Post Number: 97
not familiar with the name, but those Lightning Audio amps aren't the greatest things around either so the comparison isn't too surprising.
We have a wal-mart locally. I'll have to see if they have a similar amp so I can check out who owns the company.

yeah exactly. I prefer to keep the sound inside the car. Less waste of energy that way, and louder inside the vehicle.

Post Number: 19
Yea Glass thanks for the Spell check lol

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 17
Hmmm a quick ?... Which is better? JBL or JL? I'm lookin at buyin a new amp, and i'm pretty much sold on one of those two brands... but i'm not sure which to go with.. JBL is much more budget friendly... but JL looks like it has more power. The amps i'm lookin at are the JBL 600/1 and the JL 500/1. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Post Number: 112
the JL Audio 500/1 is really by far the better amplifier, but the price will reflect that. The amplifier really puts out around 650WRMS from 1.5 to 4 Ohms. It's very underrated. It also uses a regulated power supply so that fluctuations in the input voltage will not affect output power.
Great amplifier for a class-D. Probably one of the better ones you'd be able to find, short of Zapco, McIntosh, or Sinfoni, two of which don't even make a class-D amplifier.

Post Number: 4
has anybody heard anything about the JBL 6000 GTI amp.it is rated at 2600x2@4 ohms,8110x1@4 ohms,7400x1@1 ohms. the dim. r 61/2x29 3/8x23.THATS A HUGE A@# AMP.($6000.00). i would have to hear that amp to believe that it puts out that much power.

Schuyler, the JL really is a better amp but most people wouldn't be able to tell by listening. If you have several subs or realy NEED the JL then get it but the JBL would be plenty to make any two 15" subs absolutely slam.

You always get what you pay for but both of them are good amps.

Username: Preludesi17

hey guys I have a Rockford Fosgate power 451s. Now if i bridge it i can get 450 watts rms. I wanted to see if i could hookup a Rockford HX2 sub or a HE2. They are dual voice coil subs with a 4 ohm impidance. I can run 450 watts rms at 4 ohms bridged, is there any wat to hook up one of these subs w/o using 2 channels?

Post Number: 151
If the sub is DVC, it needs to be 2 Ohms or 8 Ohms per coil if you want to run a single sub on the bridged amplifier.
that'd be a single channel, at 4 Ohms, with the coils wired in series, or parallel respectively.

If your amp is two channels, bridged to one, and the sub is dual 4 Ohm coils, you're boned.
you'll need two of the subs, wired together in a series-parellel configuration to obtain the magical 4 Ohm load you need.

micky smith
Unregistered guest
hi im need for help i just purchased two 12inch jlw6's ae's the older versions and an audiobahn amp model a3201t which claims to have 300watts per channel and it has to channels but im not sure if it is enough power for my subs.should i get a different amp? im lookin for bass. thanx alot

ANDRE GARCIA
Unregistered guest
I RECENTLY PURCHASED 3 12INCH JLAUDIOW6 AE'S AND IM LOOKING FOR AN AMP TO POWER THEM WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD AMP FOR THESE? THANK YOU

Anonymous

try boss amps 3000 watts

Unregistered guest
i have two punch 45amps.i would like to make a dual
bandbypass enclosure and run one amp per speaker
one amp left out and one right out . what speaker do
recomend and if dvc how should i wire them and the
amp,?should i bridge?need help.

Username: Albert

Post Number: 1
how can i bridge a 4ohm stable amp with (2)punch hx2's DVC subwoofers and (2)MTX8000 SUBS SINGLE VOICE COIL

Unregistered guest
I just got a new cd player for my car and i dont wanna spend crap loads of money getting it installed. Is there any easy way or website with pictured detail on how i could install the cd player myself?

Post Number: 876
people, PLEASE, start new threads for new questions!
you have a much better chance of getting them answered. If most folks are like me, they give serious thought to ignoring threads like this that are over 100 posts, and not going anywhere.

ish17: go to a car audio shop, or circuit city/best buy, or Sears even, and get a set of wiring harnesses for your car, and a mounting kit.
that's all you need, usually that and a screw driver, and you can put the radio in yourself if you can get the fascia for the dash off to remove the factory radio.
good luck.

Post Number: 72
That's it, I refuse to even look at this thread anymore.

It must die already!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us