Connecting two identical amps

Username: 01maxima

Post Number: 1
hi can anyone help me ...i have two alpine type r's in a dual ported box with two speaker outputs on the box......also i have two pioneer gm7200m 800 mono amp and a cap i would like to connect one amp to one sub, and the other amp to the other sub........the subs are identical and so is the amp.......please help if someone know how
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Youngstown, Ohio United states

Post Number: 630
what size (10",12",15"), impedence(dual 2 ohm, dual 4 ohm), and version (old or new) type-r? old type-r's have a smooth surround, new type-r's have an accordian-like surround.

Post Number: 2
hi they are brand new 12 inch subs new design accordian type 4 ohm dual voice coil i am going to run them both down to two ohm when i connect both right now i have one connected to one amp @ 4 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Youngstown, Ohio United states

Post Number: 631
well, you can atleast get the most out of each amp with each sub since they are the proper impedence. wire each to 2 ohm and connect each amp to each terminal. this will give each type-r 360w rms. ported, this may be enough for you...

but, those type-r's can take more.

Post Number: 3
yeah they are very power hungry i am confused about how to hook up the amps i am thinking to run my power to a distribution block and out to the two but as for the rca and the remote i am unsure ho wto split them......

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 984
do those amps have RCA outs? If so you can just get a short rca cable to go from amp 1's outs to amp 2's input. If not, a pair of Wal-Mart $3 rca y-cables will do the trick.

For the remote just connect a short wire to the 1st amps remote terminal to run to the 2nd.
Some people will suggest a relay, but there's really no point unless you're turning on several components.

For the power you're on the right track, but you should be able to use the cap as the (+) distribution point, unless you just WANT to add the d-block.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 985
upon further review I see your amp does NOT have rca outs, so you'll need a pair of y cables to get signal to the 2nd amp, and no, that won't decrease the signal voltage.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2335
don't use a CAp if you don't have a HO alternator... other thing is that the amp is not going to power those subs properly... you need at least 1000w rms at 1 ohm. Pioneer amps are not so good so you should expect like 500-600w rms at 2 ohms. If i were you i'd get a hifonics 1206d for the budget

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2815
you can not hook up those subs to a 4ohm load on each amp, unless you hook up just one voice coil.(do not do) so you must have ythem at a 2 ohm load and the specs on that amp say 360w at 2ohms, so that is not enough power for those subs..

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 987
360 is more than enough power for type r's to sound great. Plus, as long as you set the gains correctly you can be pretty sure they'll last a long, long time. Yes, you can run 500w to them and they'll get slightly louder. Yes you can probably run 600-700w to them and they'll get slightly louder yet, and in the process you'll have increased the likely hood of damage 2 or 3 times.

IMO - don't sweat it, 360w/pc is fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us