Wattage Question

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 397
Hey guys, I have some 6x9 speakers that I am probably going to be getting an amplifier for. They are 80 Watts RMS at 4ohm, SVC.

So heres the question: Am I looking for am amplifier that does 80x2 Watts or 160x2 Watts to power both speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2804
all you need is a 150-200w 2 channel

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1506
you need an amp that does 80 watts RMS times two @ 4 ohms

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 398
ok, well thats two diff answers. What would be best?

I ask this question because I heard when an amplifier to powering speakers, if it outputs, lets say 100x2, each speaker will actually be getting 50 watts. Is that true or is 80x2 good?

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 145
Example} 2 channel amp

50x2 at 4ohm
100x2 at 2ohm
200x1 at bridged 4ohm

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2931
what most people mean when they say like 100x2 is actually 100 watts output at each channel, not 50. but you have to watch that with some manufacturers.

i wouldn't put more then rated power to some coaxial speakers. cheap capacitor crossover won't be able to handle a ton of power like a nicer set of components with large external crossovers would.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 399
ok, well I have some Pioneer speakers. I do not remember the model number but, each speaker is 420 Max, 80 RMS and at first I was planning on buying a SoundStream amp that will do 160x2 Watts but, im just double checking if I should get an amp that will do 160 or 80 x2 watts.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 415
hey! (joey) you stole my specs! lol

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 416
you should replace the speakers... to be honest with you. pioneer coaxils dont last long on external amp power.. ive been there alot (back in my "pioneer is the sh!t days") or at least be extremely careful. If it says 80 watts RMS, run an 80 watts RMS x 2 channel amp.

Good luck :-)

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2806
well 150-200w amp will see around 75-100w@4ohms depending on amp...

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 400
"hey! (joey) you stole my specs! lol"

Huh? Specs?

"you should replace the speakers... to be honest with you. pioneer coaxils dont last long on external amp power.."

Well, I would replace them, but im not going to bother. You see, I totalled my last vehicle (the Jimmy S-15) and now ive picked up a 93 Olds Cutlass Ciera for free so im just switching stock speakers with what I have already. The car is in...pretty bad shape, so im not gonna go all out and put some expensive equipment in there and when the time comes, ill sell the Cutlass and leave the speakers in there to make it more appealing to people and I can probably jack up the price a bit on the car.

With my next car, I plan to get all Alpine speakers with either a Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, or Eclipse HU and two 12" Assasins to top it all off :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us