Amp in protect.... again

Bronze Member
Username: Eezom

Naperville, IL United States

Post Number: 41
ok this time it was working fine and then my subs started skipping beats then they just stopped working totally. I checked both the subs with a 9v battery and theyre fine. I also checked my inline fuse which is fine also. The protection led is on (but its really dim dunno if that helps) constantly and I dunno what else could be wrong. Help? Could my speaker wires be shorted out? How do i check?? Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1719
if the protect light is slightly on it means the amp isn't getting enough current. what is the amp and what size wire you running?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
its a a8000t and im running 8awg wires

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Youngstown, Ohio United states

Post Number: 596
try running 4awg

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2801
what ohm load are you running and what voice coil subs, hope not dual 4, unless your running 4ohm load on thaqt amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
everything was working before and i think because of all the rain in my area something happened or something. I did what bassman3 told me and took all the wires out and put them back in and it started working again. thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2295
^^^^ and also did you check the size of your alt cuz if yours i a 60A alt, you're gonna have some problems...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
theyre dual 2 ohm voice coil subs @ 2 ohms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
oh and I have a 80A alt, i havent noticed any dimming yet so i guess its fine

Username: Json_35010

Alexander City, AL USA

Post Number: 9
Disconnect everything but the power and ground. What happens? If it works, then reconnect the RCA's and try again. If it works, reconnect one sub. If this works, reconnect the other sub.

Do this until the problem reappears. If the unit goes into protect without anything connected, then you have an amp problem. If it only does it when the subs are connected, then you need to try and figure out if it is a bad channel on the amp or a possible bad sub. Most likely I would go with the amp.

Let me know if you need further help.

Jason
www.audiotekx.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
hey, dunno whats wrong but it works sometimes and other times it doesnt work at all. Jason, i disconnected the subs and the rca's and it the problem reoccured. It turned on and went into protect right away and the red protection light was really dim. What is wrong with the amp??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 471
Not enough power getting to the amp, is what it sounds like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
^^ but it was working fine until a couple days ago, why would it stop getting enough power all of a sudden?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
bump

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 188
The 8 gauge wire gets hot and it could possibly mess up the wire probably explains why it works somethimes and then it dont. Heat=power loss you really need 4 gauge with that amp. Try it in a friends car that has 4 gauge for a while and see if it goes into protect.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
i dont know anyone with 4 gauge wiring, ill have to change wiring and find out i guess.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
lol i also dont know anyone with a system right now since me and my friends all left for college in different places

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1365
Disconnect the amplifier. Then pop your hood, and use a short length of 4awg straight from your battery. Use the + from your battery as well, as your remote turnon lead, to turn the amplifier on.

Does it still go into protect like that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
what about the ground? where do i connect that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
and is it ok if its still 8 gauge or should i switch that to 4gauge before trying it out

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1366
Connect the ground to the battery neg, and actually, try using a very short piece of 8awg, and it should be fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
and do i need a fuseholder/fuse for the 4awg cable for the + from the battery?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
i didnt change anything and while on the way home toady i noticed that my subs were beating again. I was listening to music at around (11/40). The amp turns off when i turn the sound up too much now. It turned off at 20/40 then again at 15/40. My gain might be messed up, what else could i do?? Should i still try the 4gauge wire?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
this is pissing me off, nothings works now. im gonna switch to 4 gauge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us