Need amp for 2 10" kicker comps

Username: Zeknock

Post Number: 1
hey i am getting my first subs. i am not looking for insane power mostly just a nice puch. i listen to hardcore so bass isn't the only thing i want to hear.. hope that makes sense. anyways, im looking for some direction on what kind of amp i should get that isn't too expensive. hopefully i can get something used. thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1254
Whats the voice coil configuration and power handling of you subs? Need more info before we can help you.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 314
JBL BP600.1 (300 watts rms x 1 @2ohms)ebay item # 250025805396, current bid is at $41.00

Kicker KX400.1/ZX400.1 (both are 400RMS @ 2ohms)both are about $160 on ebay

Alpine MRP-M450 (400 watts RMS @2 ohms) about $130 on ebay

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 315
That's assuming you have 4 ohm subs, which most people do because the 2 ohms are special order :-)

Bronze Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 31
The kicker comp 10" are 150watts RMS each and they only come in single 4ohm or 8ohm which ones do you have.

Post Number: 2
they are 4 ohm. here's the deal, i know practically nothing about car audio so i appreciate you guys helpin me out, there is a possiblity i will get 2 12"s. if i do that will the only thing more that i need in an amp be watts?

that $41 amp is nice on the pocket but i don't want to spend a too little money and have a piece of crap. im lookin for up to $200, ebay is a beast. thanks again guys

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
If you get 2 12" are they going to be kicker comps if so they have the same watts as the 10" do. 150 watts RMS each single 4ohm and 8ohm. But the 12" will be louder because of more cone area. More cone area meens more air beening being pushed. By the way what kind of box are you going to be using sealed or vented. There's a big differance between the to. Sealed boxes are compact sound vented boxes are louder but you sacrafic a little sound quaity. Personly I use vented boxes. Sealed boxes need a little more power than vented boxes. I hope this helps you out if not HOLLA BACK. Joey

Post Number: 3
i am buying from either a friend, or friend of a friend so i don't know everything yet. the 12"s are vented i am pretty sure but i doubt the 10"s are. they are in seperate boxes. and yes the 12's would be kicker comps. so i could run the 12"s off of the same amp as i could the 10"s? what if the 12"s were memphis or something, why does it matter?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Just let me know what your going to get then I can help you out.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2231
mick posted a great list for those subs

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 321
Thank you juliob..

The RMS wattage and impediance is what matters.. if you get a memphis sub, you will need to know the wattage. If it's the same as the 10" kicker comps, and the voice coil configuration is the same (single 4 ohm each) you can use any of the amps I previously listed.

If the memphis subs are 500rms each with single 4 ohm voice coils, you will need a 1000watt RMS @ 2 ohm amp. If they are dual 4 ohm voice coils each at 500 watts rms per sub, you will need an amp that puts out 1000 watts RMS @ 1 ohm.

Let us know what you decide to get, then tell us the model and configuration you purchased and we can go from there.
-->
I do, however, have experiece with the kicker comps and they are very decent subs, for the price. If you get those, invest in the JBL amp I listed above.

One last thing, the "41 dollar amp" I listed, was hundreds when it was new. It's used and not this years current model and therefor it's cheaper to purchase :-)

Post Number: 4
so basically if i get the memphis subs it will end up costing quite a bit more because i will need a much bigger amp? i don't need near 1000 watts so i will just stay away from all that. i figured the JBL was better than $41, and that is what you are saying i should get since i will be getting comps? i will trust you then. a guy on here sent me a personal email saying that he probably had good stuff for me considering the kind of music i listen to and what i am looking for. i will ask you guys about what he says he has. thanks a lot guys! this is amazing!

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 324
If that guy that PM'd you has for sale 2 12" MTX subs with a cheap MTX amp.. don't bother, you won't get much bass from that.

Anyways, what I was saying is that if you get the memphis subs and they require more power you'll need a more powerful amp.

The kicker comps are very nice budget subs, I liked them when I had them and I replaced 2 12" JL Audio W0 subs with them. They don't require alot of power and they hit nicely for the price.

If you get those, invest in that jbl, or if you get anything that needs 300 watts RMS @2ohms get that jbl, because it's an amazing price for an awesome amp :-)

Good luck!

PS: You can get the 05C12 Kicker Comp 12" subs and use that amp as well.

Post Number: 5
thanks, i will keep that in mind. how hard will 300 watts hit? like i said, im not looking for something crazy but if i want to turn on the radio and just have fun with them will it disappoint?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Mick Memphis Audio doesn't make a 500 watt RMS sub.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 327
Joey DeSalvo, It was an example... as I've explained many times :-)

Another great amp for your 2 Kicker Comps is the Phoenix Gold Xenon 400.1 .. ebay item #160026302808 currently at 99.99 starting bid and has no bids

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Mick that was a bad example use a example that actually exsist. Or people could get confused.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 329
I don't think you're in a position to tell me my example wasn't good.

I believe you're the one that made the claim that a 12" sub will be louder than a 10" "becuase it has more cone space".

According to you, a Sony Xplod XS-L121P5 will be louder than a JL 8W7. Same wattage, but the Sony is bigger.. I think you're reasoning is flawed. Disregard the fact that they are in different classes, because you made no mention of that.

All else aside, my example made perfect sense. :-)

500 watts RMS will require a bigger amp to push it than 300 watts RMS.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 330
PS: I've owned the 05C12-4 (kicker comp svc 4ohm) subwoofers, two of them. I've also owned the 05C10-4. There is absolutely no difference in sound between the two sizes, especially because they are not made for SPL. The SQ is exactly the same.

It's a budget woofer, you will not get anything more than a bigger price tag when you jump up to the 12".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Mick I'm comparing Kicker Comp 10" to Kicker Comp 12" and the 12" will out proform 10" with the same amp. Because of more cone area put them in there recommened box and you will see.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 331
Actually, if you would kindly read my last two posts you would need not have replied so quickly.

I've owned both speakers, both in the recommended enclosures. They "perform" exactly the same. :-)

Anyways, It's ideally up to him if he wants the 10" or 12" Comps, I'm simply trying to say that if he purchases the 12" he will be paying to look at a bigger speaker, not for a better performing sub.

I recommend 1 12' CVR over 2 12" Comps anyday, and yes I have also owned CVRs, 4 actually and I loved those subs until I discovered my Eclipses.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
He ask a question an I answered. The dude that lives beside me had 2 10" Comp and it did not shack the pictures on the wall. Then he got rid of those and got 2 12" Comps and then that shuck the pictures on the walls from the same distance with the same amp. And how is that not out proforming the 10" Comps. Both in recommended sealed boxes.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 333
I'm not entirely sure I believe you, but let's go with it anyways...

1.)The different acoustic variations within different vehicles.

2.) The amplifer (quality) used to power them.

3.) The type of board the box is made of(the amount of flex the box produces).

4.)The angle the sub sits at within the trunk.

5.)The amount of power driven by the amp used to power them.

6.) The equalizer settings on the head unit.

7.) The crossover settings on the amp.

8.)The gain (level) setting on the amp.

9.) The volume setting on the head unit.

10.) The kind of music being played.

There are 10 good reasons why "your friend's" 12" Comps could have been louder than the 10" Comps.

Unlike most people (you and your friend), I set my amp levels where they are suppose to be, I don't peak my subwoofer controls on my head unit and I never cranked every bass setting up until all I head was "loud".

Now, if you'll read my previous postings, I've stated comments about SQ not SPL. These subwoofers, compared to others, are NOT SPL subwoofers. They are budget woofers and the pricetag reflects that. If anything, they are more of a SQ woofer.

Between the 10 and the 12, I see no difference, you may have, but me being the type that enjoys SQ rather than SPL, I did not.

Have a great night :-)

Post Number: 6
can't we all just be friends? thanks for the other sugestion too. but how hard will 300 watts hit?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1654
two kicker comps. aren't going to hit that hard, better than your stock radio though. where you live and what you looking to spend though, plenty of people selling subs on this forum alot better than the comps. if i was you i'd try to save up some more and get better subs than the comps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2235
ctmike for example if a guy has never heard a "system" 300w are going to sound like the devil in person hehe lol! he's going to feel the difference when he gets those subs and change his stock system.

just get an amp putting 300w rms at 2 ohms. What's your budget???? you can even get audiobahn a80002T or V

Post Number: 8
so the comps wont hit hard? my friend has the two 12"s i am looking at and i thought they sounded great for what i will need them for and they def hit hard, for me at least. he will be the first one to tell you spent too much on an amp, but he has like 900w or something and you are saying that that won't change anything?

i live in indianapolis, and am looking to spend not more than $400, that is why i really want some stuff used. who has some stuff they wnat to get rid of?

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 346
You can get a set of COMPS on ebay for dirt cheap..

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-KICKER-COMP-12-INCH-SUBWOOFERS-SUB-C12-05C124_W0QQitem Z200023049388QQihZ010QQcategoryZ39777QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - ebay item #200023049388 - $108 for TWO 12" Comps shipped brand new

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-SEALED-CAR-SUBWOOFER-ENCLOSURE-SUB-BOX-U_W0QQitemZ14 0024674152QQihZ004QQcategoryZ14945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ebay item #140024674152 - dual sealed box brand new for the subs -$47.75 shipped

That's $155.75 for the entire sub/box combo brand new and shipped to your door.

That leaves the rest of your money for an amp :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-XENON-X400-1-400W-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER-NEW_W0QQi temZ140025915061QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ebay item #140025915061 - Phoenix Gold Xenon 400.1 400 watt amplifer. It will put out 400 watts at any impediance ( 1/2/4 ohms ) Excellent amp for those subs and it's about $135.00 shipped brand new to your door.

That's $285.75 shipped to your door for 2 - 12" Comps, a brand new sealed box and a brand new Xenon 400.1 amp.

That's $114.25 less than your limit :-)

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 347
and dont buy audiobahn when you can get a phoenix gold xenon 400.1 for 130 shipped to your door.. no offense juliob you understand though, right?

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 348
Oh.. and that Phoenix Gold Xenon amp will put out 400 watts not matter what voice coil configuration you put to it. I also believe that the Xenon series are a little under-rated.. so you might get 450 out of it.

Excellent amp, beautiful price :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2250
i understand what you said mick, i just said it in case his budget was low. I put it like any amp can do the job, even audiobahn.

And i agree with you about the PG, is gonna sound nice.

Post Number: 10
ok so you guys are my heros! thank you so much for all of you help, even the arguing is helpful :-). so the guy who PM me told me what he has, considering the 12"s you fond on ebay for me i don't think i am going to buy this plus it just sounds cheap. here are the links to the amp and sub, http://www.mdcaraudio.com/sidewinder12.html

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/caraudio_detail.asp?idcategory=100&id product=263#details

let me know what you guys think so i can get back to him. again, thank you so much!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
so mick, i just looked at the plethera of items you showed me and i likey! thanks again. so with that $115 i will need to buy wiring right? my buddy pait $115 for i think he said 4 gauge which was excessive. what kind of wiring should i get and how much will that run me? anoyone?

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 350
Check your private messages, don't pay that much for wire.. buy mine! :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2256
Andrew nice sub/amp combo... get the dual 4 ohm so you can put 500w rms to your sub. That price for 4AWG wire is sick... check www.knukonceptz.om

I hope you enjoy it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
so i got all the wiring, deck, box, subs, and amp with install kits and stuff. now i need a bose adapter for the deak. does anyone know what i am talking about? anyone have one they want to get rid of or know what it is called? also, a friend has installed subs and amps 3 or 4 times, should i do it with him or spend the money to get it done? i really don't want to screw anything up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us