Help Please OHM Load from Componets

Bronze Member
Username: Spidercoder

Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post Number: 70
When you have a 4ohm tweeter and a 4 ohm mid range driver running to a crossover then the crossover to the amp what will the ohm load be. Will it still be 4 or does it go down to 2 ohms for the load for that channel for the amp. Thanks I need to know what my ohm load will be per channel from componets so that I may choose the proper amp.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2786
whats the components?? they should give an over all impedance rating. either look for that or hook the drivers to the crossovers and use a meter on the amp input on the crossovers to see.

Bronze Member

Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post Number: 71
Thats what I was going to do. I still need to put the meter on my subs to make sure that I am getting 2 ohms and not 8 ohms.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2789
yeah, if you cant find out from the component's manual or something, then check yourself. even though the individual drivers have a rating written on them usually, you still don't know how they are wired through the passive crossovers or what kind of load the crossovers place in the mix either.

Bronze Member

Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post Number: 72
Yeah it gets pretty involved with the componets. I was wondering how it all works together. Do you know of any good links that tell exactly how the componet system works together. I never even thought before that your actually wiring two speakers and that could effect your ohm load. I guess the rating they give you for the driver in the specs is the actual combined ohm load for the componet set. Interesting new stuff learning how everything comes together.

Bronze Member

Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post Number: 73
I just found out that you could actually get an eight ohm load from two 2 ohm dvc subs I thought you would just get 2 or half ohm. I need to check my subs and make sure they dont have an eight ohm load. I have had problems with my install that was done @ stereorama in clearwater florida

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2794
well, you can get an 8 ohm load from 2 dual 2 ohm subs, but you don't want it wired that way. you can wire the sub VC's in series, but you don't want the drivers wired together in series. you can get some odd results that way. one will actually receive the power first, then the second. one will see more power then the second....ect...odd stuff and not reccomended.

the ratings the speaker companies give is the over all load, but of course it'll rise or fall some depending on frequency. don't really know any sites that explain crossovers other then BCAE1.com. theres some info on crossover function.

Bronze Member

Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post Number: 74
No I dont want it that way Im making sure the shop that did my install didnt wire it that way so id get less power from my amp. I want a two ohm load that is what the xtant x1001 gives full power at

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 979
it will remain 4 ohm nom.
At frequencies below the crossover point the woofer is the load - 4 ohms (nom).
At freq's above the x/o point the tweeter is the load - 4 ohm (nom).
near the x/o point each one loads it partially, but the nominal impedance will remain 4 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 980
you can't just run your amp at 2 ohms with a standard set of 4 ohm components.

You'd either have to get a set of (hard to find) 2 ohm components, or get a second set and wire them parallel, but in that case the power would be split between the 2 pairs which would basically defeat the purpose.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3377
i'm not really any good with the ohm load with componets, but i belive if you have a 2-channel amps )and ur 2 speakers are 4 ohm, which i think all of them except a alpine one or somthin is) you hook the spaker to each channel and it wil put a 4 ohm load.

so 400 x 2 @ 4 ohms

for (2) 4 ohm speaker per channel will be a 4 ohm load per channle giving 400 watts to each componets.

and if its a 4-channel amps, and you hook it to each channle with the amp 400 x 4 @ 4 ohms it will be 4 oh m per channel again, but if you bridge that 4-channel amp to 2 speakers, its a 2 ohm load.

like i said, i havent really EVER dealt with componets but i think this may be how it is, please ocrrect me if i'm wrong

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2169
what happened mr PHD man hehe

you're right

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3382
what you mean what happened? :-)

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2174
"i'm not really any good with the ohm load with components"

haha we know you're lying...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3386
lol. no, i am really not to tell you the truth. i havent ever even hooked up a componets set before or even studied or heard of how componets hook up to amps. just did some thinking, and figured thats prolly how it is. i know the basics of how to hook one up, just never got the chance :-) :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us