Help with Tachometer hook up please!

Username: Nickintx

Kilgore, Tx US

Post Number: 4
alright you wiring geniuses, here is what we have. I just recently purchased an aftermarket tachometer, I will be hooking it up in my '98 CHEVY CAVALIER, now keep in mind I DID NOT PREVOUSLY HAVE ONE OF ANY KIND, that means I dont have one in my cluster, ok now that we are on the same page. I have 4 wires from my Tach, Red and Black of course the obvious. Now I also have a Yellow wire(which as described in directions belongs to my battery), and also have the infamous GREEN wire, now this is where my troubles begin. I can hook up my other 3 wires, but am not sure on how, or even where Im going to need to hook up my green wire??????? I mean it says an sucessful ignition wire, but Im not sure how to tap in or exactly where to do all this. Ok so Im not sure where my coil is at? so can someone please enlighten me on how I need to go about this proceedure???

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 846
On your distributer cap there should be a terminal marked Tach. It is where all the wires go in to the bottom of the Distibuter cover. Just plug it in to the terminal. I just jammed mine in there with a small nail.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11592
I hope this isn't on an automatic transmission hahaha

ignition wire @ the distributor, or steering column.
www.the12volt.com has wiring color codes for your car in their database.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 861
Whats the matter with hooking it up to an automatic? I had mine installed on an automatic with no problems. The Accel cap/coil had provisions for the Tach.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 862
This was the car it was in

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11600
because with an automatic transmission you don't *need* a tach.

pretty to look at though I suppose.
Only reason I have one is for dragracing, since my auto trans has a manual valve body, and I can manually shift it through a sequential gearbox.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 863
Ya, mine was just for show. I had put in a B&M Starshifter, so it was good to watch it max out @5500 rpm. But for raceing, its a must. Nice car by the way GlassWolf.

Username: Nickintx

Kilgore, Tx US

Post Number: 6
sorry about my late post but mine IS a manual tranny, 5 speed, I just not sure how to hook up my igntion wire from the tach to the car, I know I gotta go through the coil, but not sure HOW to go about it, My Cav. is a 5 speed, Ive got a body kit on it, exuast, intake and such, just need a tach so I dont blow it haha

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 670
"Ive got a body kit on it, exuast, intake and such"

(im waiting for glass to call it a ricer so i can laugh)

Bronze Member
Username: Yeah_toast

BIG SB South Bend, IN USA

Post Number: 36
'87 saleen with a stock tach. Look for the positive wire I believe going to the coil. The coil square looking, better yet go to your distributor and follow the middle wire.
I have a body kit, exaust, intake and such. . . .
dose that make my car rice? :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us