Amplifier power ratings

Bronze Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 15
Does anyone perhaps have a list of which amp manufacturers over-rate their amps and which ones give the actual power ratings? I have heard that some amps don't really produce their rated wattage without clipping, so I want to know which amps really are what they claim to be before I decide what to buy. Also, if an amp says it is certified CEA-2006 does that mean anything? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4230

quote:

if an amp says it is certified CEA-2006 does that mean anything?

Yep, it means the ratings are accurate.

Determining if an amp puts out its ratings if it isn't CEA compliant is a matter of quality...I haven't seen a list of amps that do/don't put out their rated power, but the Good/Bad/Ugly list by Glasswolf would be an excellent guide to picking one that will do its rated output.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1948
yes... what r you planning to run???

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6153
agreed with Jexx^ check out glass' list.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks for the responses, could someone post a link to that list please. I am planning to do a lot of upgrades to my current system, this is what the list looks like at the moment:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1fi2KLOit7c/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=113KAC7252
http://www.mbquart.com/en/produkte/car/qline/produkt.php?nr=qsd_213
Two of these (15" version):
http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=3500d

...and I'm not sure what amp to get for the subs, anyone have any sugestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1972
nice subs and components but i think you should do a BIG change... forget about the kenwood... too expensive for the job... try looking old school PPI/orion amps on ebay... they're so great.

Those subs are great and you should get at least a 2400w rms amp...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11572
stick to CEA2k6 ratings. they are done by strict standards to maintain accuracy between manufacturers.

www.caraudiocentral.net has the company list in the FAQ section.
you need to register with that board to view the thread. otherwise it's hidden from unregistered guests to disuade hotlinking and plagerism.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1986
guys put some eyes to infinity amps... they're CEA compliant/ cheap and underrated...

at least the 1211A

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
juliob, are you saying that the kenwood amp is not good quailty or that it is just too expensive, because I am planning to buy most of the equipment on ebay not from the links that I posted.
I also see that kenwood is in the bad section of the good/bad/ugly list, I find that hard to believe since I have heard kenwood equipment in other peoples cars that sounded great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us