Should I upgrade battery?

Bronze Member
Username: Tyler88

Post Number: 16
i have a stock 80 amp alternator in my 2001 honda accord ex 2.3L 4cyl. I'm going to upgrade to a 180 amp alternator. I was planning on upgrading the big 3 to at least 4 gauge if not higher. Do I need to replace the stock battery if i do this. I have heard of optima yellow top, are there any other options?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1332
i'd def. upgrade the battery since your getting a ho alt. you can run a yellow top, there really good batteries, and pricey, but i have a regular battery in mine and have no problem with it.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4108
It isn't necessary, I still have my Lead Acid battery and it's working great. Personally, I think Optimas are a waste of money, they're deep cycle batteries that put out their power at a much slower rate than Lead Acid batteries. The only benefit is they can be mounted however you want, and they can be discharged to within 80% of their capacity without damage. I would even venture to say they're not what you want.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4817
just upgrade the big 3 after the alt upgrade and you will be fine. unless your current battery is in bad shape, i don't see why you need to buy a new one.

Bronze Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 29
id say your runin running a pleanty big nuff altnator! are u really gonna need 180 amps output?? and if your battery is that old id say its bout time to replace it anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us