Ammmppp????

Bronze Member
Username: Kbugg0041891

Post Number: 15
whut up, what brand of amp should i get for 2 12" kicker comp (cvr) .......and would a 1200 watt amp be enough watts for thos speakers or to much ??? or what size amp should i get to me them hit hard

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1171
1200 wrms is too much for those subs. You need something that does 800 wrms. Btw, what amp you get is contingent on what voice coil configuration your subs have. Do you have Dual 4 ohm or Dual 2 ohm subs?

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

IA US

Post Number: 1085
if you have dual 2 ohm subs, get the a8000v or a8000t.

if you have dual 4 ohm subs, get the a8002v or a8002t.

Bronze Member
Username: Furyous

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 15
I agree with Steven on this one. The audiobahn amps are a good fit. Although I disagree with Isaac. You can always overpower a sub and get good results as long as you dont crank the #@$&% out of it- the sub will begin to noticiably distort if it takes too much. Underpowering is certain disaster- overheating, fuse blowing, distortion.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1703
depends the way you handle the gain

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1172
Welcome to the forum Chad.

You are right to a certain degree.

"Underpowering is certain disaster- overheating, fuse blowing, distortion."

You will NEVER hurt a sub by underpowering it, but you can definately kill a sub by giving it too much power. In fact underpowering is very safe way to use your sub, as long as you know your limits with the gains and volume knob. I don't know how you would be blowing any fuses either when you are underpowering, that just does not make sense. Also, you will never be makign your sub over heat when it is underpowered either.

200 wrms over the recomemded rms of those subs is a little too much in my opinion. Doing that is a sure way to overheat the subs voice coils.

The a8000t and a8002t are good choices on a very low budget. However if you can afford more, I would definately recommend getting something better. What is your budget?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
prob 150 but if i get a 1800 watt amp and turn the gain down would it hurt because a got a good deal on a $350 kicker amp for $150 or should i not risk that?? my speaker are 800 watt rms 1600 watt max............

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1260
what kicker amp is 1800rms?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
im not sure of the model......would it hurt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
but the new zx2500 puts out 2500 watts so im pretty sure theres aan amp out ther with 1800

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1261
well the only kicker i can think of that'll do about 1800 is the 1500.1 cause of how they underrate their amps. and yeah you'll blow a pair of cvr's with that much power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
not rms ...thats the max ....it would be 900 watt rms

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1718
your subs are DVC 4 ohm or 2??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
yes

Bronze Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 47
I agree with Isaac...how would you blow a fuse by underpowering an sub?I'm curious to know how to do that.I thought the only possible way to blow a fuse would be a surge of power or power that is more than it could handle, not less than it could handle.If underpowering a sub and the fuse blows then the fuse should not be rated what it is rated, if it will blow at a lower power.

Bronze Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 53
I can drive speakers with a 100% clipped square wave signal all day long with no problems as long as the thermal and mechanical limits of the speaker are not exceeded. I can feed a speaker 100% distortion all day long with no damage as long as the thermal and mechanical limits of the speaker are not exceeded. I can exceed the thermal and/or mechanical limits of a speaker and watch it fail in short order. These are electrical and physical truths and anything else is a myth.

This is the origin of the "under-power myth. If your speakers are [accurately]rated for 150 watts and you use a 100 watt amplifier then drive it into full clipping, it is actually delivering more like 200 watts of effective power to the speaker when the speaker blows. "Oh," you say, "I used a smaller amplifier than the speaker rating and it blew. Therefore under-powering must blow speakers." No, what happened was idiotic amplifier setup blew the speaker. If on the other hand you are using a speaker rated for 500 watts and run the same full-clipped signal from the 100 watt amp, it will hum along all day producing horribly distorted clipped sound, but it will not care since you are not exceeding it's power capacity. Did that make sense? A blown speaker only comes from exceeding it's mechanical or thermal limits. Underpowering a speaker never hurts it.

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 51
Well said Grant.

Bronze Member
Username: Furyous

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 19
I stand corrected, guys. I read my post again after sobering up and realized what I had just said. The blowing fuses should never happen untless a short or a surge existed, but I meant overheating and distortion can come from trying to use an underpowered amplifier to drive a higher rated speaker at the volumes that most people think it will be cabable. There is certain danger to the speaker by running too much power to it and melting the voice coil, but I stand by my opinion that it is safe to go over the rated power of the speaker as long as it is not too much- no 1200 watts to a 40 watt coaxial. 800 watts RMS to a woofer rated at 600 watts RMS would be fine and less expensive than holding out for an 800 watt RMS woofer, don't you think. I just don't hold a lot of value to the wattage rating on most amplifiers but the rating of the speakers themselves hads more validity.

Thanks for setting me straight. I won't drink and post for at least another week or so (probably).

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 62
LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1306
I have also seen knuckle heads running an am under there subs rated power to cook it good. It isn't sooo much the power but the fact that his listening habbits got the best of him. By trying to get more out of an amp than it can provide is a good example. Running lots of bass boost with a high gain setting can easily pull wayyy more current then the amp can handle, and amp clipping is different than a clipped signal. Shoot a straight DC current to any sub and see how fast it smokes, lol. Now that said, I am a shear believer of overpowering ANYTHING, lol. I was running close to 2K on my RE sx15, I am now running 2800rms+ to my two SSI 10.22's and they are rated at 750rms each, lol. You have to have a little discretion when it comes to any sub but at least when you over power it you know the best it can be is already there and maybe look else where, either for a new sub or maybe a better enclosure. Oh one other thing, the quality of the amp used plays a big role for how much lee-way you can get away with in either direction... JMHO.. Polo. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
well dang lets stop arguing here and tell me what amp i need 150$$ budget i want the 2 12 kicker comp cvr to hit hard as crap what amp should i get haha they are duel voice coil//4ohm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
well dang lets stop arguing here and tell me what amp i need 150$$ budget i want the 2 12 kicker comp cvr to hit hard as crap what amp should i get haha they are duel voice coil//4ohm 1600 watts altogether... 800 watts rms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us