Do you think this will work?

Username: Furyous

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Greetings. I have been having some difficulty with the amplifiers on my boat. They are both Coustic brand, one 4 channel (running two clarion components and a bridged subwoofer) and one two channel (running another subwoofer). The problem is that even though I ran really good (Stinger expert series 4 awg) power and ground cables, the four channel amp's thermal protection comes on at higher volumes, and the two channel feels very close. I have 16 feet of 4 guage power running to a distribuition block sending two 4 awg (about 3 feet each) to each amp. The ground was 4 awg running the same lengths but using 8 awg out of the distribution block. I changed the distribution block so that I could run 4 guage and it goes louder without thermal protection, but still does it. Obviously a load problem. My question is should I bother running 0 or 1 guage to the distribution blocks or would a stiffening capacitor solve my problem? If I should use a capacitor, should I have one before the dist blocks, one before the amp that is cutting off, or one in front of each amplifier? Help me- I love my music loud especially on the boat!

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2662
ohm load is prob to much, the sub has to be not less then 4 ohm bridged and the other componets, can only be ran stereo together on the other two channel. wire is not going to fix this problem, nor a cap, it is most likely beinbg overworked.... with the lower ohms...

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 5
That's how I have it set up. The subs are both single voice coil 4 ohms each, and the amps that power them have 2 channels bridged. Even if I just run the component speakers and not the subwoofer with the four channel, it shuts down. Would changing to DVC subs instead of bridging help?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2667
no,subs are subs.... you most likely have a power supply problem, not enough power in charging system., take sub off the 4 channel and see if it still does it,

Bronze Member

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 11
Thanks, Ty. I have identified it as a power supply problem because of just that- the amp overheats whether the sub is connected or not. I have been told that bridging causes a slightly more load, though. My friend had the same problem on his boat until he ran 0 gauge wiring to the amplifiers, and now they barely get warm. I think I might be able to remedy the situation with a capacitro- I just got a used 1.5 farad on Ebay, so I might as well givce it a try. if it works, it will be a cheap, quick fix. If not, I will have to spend an afternoon running 0 gauge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us