Will It Push It?

Username: Beforeiforget87

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 8
Will a 500w amp push a 1100 watt sub or should i sell my 500w amp and get a 1000w amp??

Both are Sony xplod...i believe the amp is two channel how the hell do i hook it to my sub, i want it to push my sub if i even can...

SUB
10" Subwoofer
1100 Watts Max
300 Watts Continuous (RMS)
5-sided Polypropylene Cone for Lower Distortion, Louder & Deeper Bass
Stroke Stabilizer Rubber Surround
Single 4 ohm 6-layer Voice Coil
Gold Plated Binding Posts

AMP
2-channel car amplifier
200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
low-pass crossover (50-300 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
variable bass boost (0-10 dB at 40 Hz)
MOSFET outputs and power supply
speaker-level inputs with signal sensing for automatic turn-on
preamp inputs and outputs
fuse rating: 40A x 2
4-gauge power and ground leads recommended -- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
15-7/8"W x 2-1/4"H x 10-7/8"D

How tf do I hooke the amp to the sub...if possible, i have the wires I just need instructions

Also I Have a Sony Xplod AM/FM CD Player w/ MP3 Playback, CDX-GT20W HU How the hell do I set the clock!?!?!

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 9
RCA and Speaker Level Inputs
Built-In High Pass and Low Pass Filters
Speaker Level Input
Speaker Line Out
MOSFET Power Supply
Bass Boost
Correction^^^

Gold Plated Connectors
100W x 4 @ 4 Ohm
100W x 2 + 250W x 1 @ at 4 Ohm
Frequency response: 5 - 80kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005
Dimensions: 13-7/8" x 2-1/4" x 9-1/4"

the 500w amp is four channel with these specs ^^^^

Bronze Member
Username: Saoxcore

Post Number: 32
first off, your sub doesnt push 1100 watts. thats the max. which means NOTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHING. your sub only pushes 300 watts.
if you do the second option for your amp (500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)) then youll have enough power to supply your sub.

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 10
so does that mean get a 1000 watt amp?

Bronze Member

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 13
so does that mean i need the 1000 watt amp?

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 230
Bill, your sub can handle 300W of continuous power (RMS). If you tried to hook it to an amp that pushed 1000W RMS you'd blow the sub up in a hurry.

Which post has the correct specs for your amp? I'm guessing the second post, and if that's the case that's not the ideal amp to run your sub with.

Idealy, you want to match the RMS number of your sub with one of the RMS output numbers of your amp. You's like an amp that will push in the area of 300W RMS x 1 at 4ohm. If that second post is correct, then you could probably use that amp to power the sub and a pair of speakers if that's what you wanted to do:

"100W x 2 + 250W x 1 @ at 4 Ohm "

Meaning you'd have two channels that would go to your speakers, feeding them 50W each and then the other two channels would be bridged to your sub giving it 250W as long as those are RMS numbers.

Silver Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 132
always give a 100W more, which means your amp should have 100W higher than the subs

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2663
that sub and amp is fine, the amp does not push what it says and the subs can not handle what it says.....

Bronze Member

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 14
so.....what i have will work as long as i hook the amp both to the sub and my two rear 250's (rated)

Bronze Member

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 15
OK bottom line, I wanna push just the 1100w sub (300 rms) how powerful of an amp do i need (tell what it would say on the box bc i'm dumb)

and if anyone can give me a straight answer I would also like step by step instructions

i have the red 6ga wire running from the battery to the back of the car, a clear 6ga wire and rca jacks (i bought a wiring kit from auto zone for liek 40 bucks i think)

Username: Boyofdecay

Post Number: 1
Here's a simple answer...

The rms power of the amp needs to match the rms power of the sub to fully push the sub.

Since your speaker is rated at 1100w(300rms), you should buy an amp rated the same rms.

The peak power(the 1100 watts) doesn't really matter whether or not it matches-it won't damage your speaker if it's more or less.

The box and owner's manual should specify the peak power(max power)and the rms power(rated or continuous power).

As for the power wire, you should be ok although I haven't heard of a 6 gauge power wire. You should at least have at least 8 gauge(handles approx. 350 watts rms). For best results and to be safe just go with a 4 gauge(the lower the gauge-the more power it can handle).

Key point-rms is the most important rating when matching speakers and amps. Another important thing is that the ohms ratings of the speakers and amp should match as well.

I hope this helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 88
nicely stated michael

Silver Member

California

Post Number: 137
i agree, most important is rms match and the very very . ohms matching , if you dont do it right it wont work the way it suppose to, but regarding with the sub, i say you should push it with a 50w more power amp, lets say if sub has a 300w rms then your amp should have 350w rms in that way it will be solid bass without distortion at high volume, ok satisfy

Bronze Member

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 16
i was thinkin i could hook them up bc the rms of the sub is 300 and the max of the amp is 500 is theorically it could work right??

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 322
Honestly. ... the best thing to do would be get rid of the Sony stuff and save up your money to buy some better quality equipment...Sony is TERRIBLE as far as car audio goes

Username: Boyofdecay

Post Number: 2
No. Do NOT run an amp with an rms value higher than the sub or you will eventually fry the voice coils in your sub(trust me i've done it before).
I am a qualified electronics technician in the navy so i know a little bit about what i am talking about. The rms values must either match or you can run a amp with less rms than the sub's rms power. The max power-1100w from the sub and the 500w from the amp does not have to match and will not damage either component if the values are more or less.

Now, if you want the peak power of your sub to reach it's full potential so you can reach the full peak of the sub(when your sub "hits" or "bumps") then try and find an amp that has 1100w or more max power but DO NOT run an amp that has an rms value above the rms power of the sub or the sub will blow.

So, i would recommend just getting yourself an amp rated at 300w rms or less and save yourself alot of trouble and grief.

Hope this helps!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4080
It's not a definite 'no-no' to overpower speakers, in fact, most of the time the speakers will produce better sound when overpowered slighty.

Best example is all of the people that run 1000w rms JL amps on the 12" JL w7's which only have an rms power handling of 750...and they never blow. Many even report better sound than running at 500-750 rms watts.

I'm overpowering my component speakers by 50 watts and they sound magnificent...the highs are perfect, and I was never able to acheive such good sound by powering them at their RMS rating (even with the same brand of amp in the same series).

There is always the option(if the amp does seem to be too much power) of turning the gain down and reaping the benefit of having an amp that runs cooler, or just self control at not leaving the speakers at a high volume for too long.

Silver Member

California

Post Number: 141
true

Bronze Member

Towanda, PA USA

Post Number: 17
ok now

i've got a 1200w rated amp on the way to my house as i type, i know the RMS is 100w over the rms of the sub so i should be good there, correct?

how can i bridge a two channel amp so i can just run my sub on it? is it one wire on each channel or what?

Silver Member

California

Post Number: 142
ok your amp should have a bridge sign on it just connect the + and the - then same thing to your subs but make sure their the same ohms because usually when bridging the sub, it has to be 4ohms now if you you have a mono amp then it should go at 2ohm to your sub

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4113
^Yep.