Opened my orion

Silver Member
Username: Zulkir

U.S.A.

Post Number: 198
i opend my orion today because i wasent going to send it in to get it fixed..thay wated more then i payed for it...anyways it lookes fine but on the bottem(lid when turned over) it had a black spot at the + - remote connections...anyone know what it could be and wht i could try to do to fix the amp by myself. i do have 2 years of electronics behind me so i wana give it a shot. any ideas woudl be helpful seming i dont know alot about the amp...its a orion 1200d.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2764
where?

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Orion_1200D/inside1.jpg

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 199
bottem right.i also seen smoke coming from it from that area.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 200
well crap mabe it was top right...i think the black mark was above the coil of wire in the top right.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 201
ya the ting to the right of the black box in the right top corner.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 202
i would open it but my brother lsot the stuff so i cant right now

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2766
i'm not sure that that is. but you def. damaged somthin, and i would take it in to get it fixed. what did you do to it?

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 203
nvm ill repost when i get it back open....god ima go kick my brothers @ss right now. he loses everything

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2767
lol. what did you do to it??????? to cause this

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 204
thay wanty liek 250 to fix it n i only payed 285...no idea what i did it worked as i was driven to school and when i went back out to leav it just dident work.. so i checked the fuses..they were blown.. all 3 so i replaced them..and when i hocked back up the power it sparked(dident blow fuses again) and started smoking from the vent things above the + - terminals and that was it i took the amp out of my car. do u think it would be worth fixign it? and if so could i switch and run 1 type-r insted of 2? 2 is to much base for me and my alt.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 205
u have any idea y it would start smoking from the - + spots when i connected the power? i had it set to a 1 ohm load and used 0awg wire to a cap and then 4awg from there.and took the + of both speakers n connected it to teh + on the amp and same with the -.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2774
how was ur gain set?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3711
285 to fix it?? Try audiotekx.com, they shouldn't charge more than $150! Check this out:
http://www.audiotekx.com/services.html

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 206
my gain was 3/4

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1472
maybe that was part of the problem

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 207
what dose the gain actuly do?

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 208
i was told by a few people on here to do it about 3/4

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2776
lol. those few people were obviously noobs. the gain is THE most important setting on an amp,and it should be set accordingly to the preout V, of the HU

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 209
i have the 7700mp..i think it is 2v..what should the gain be?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2777
its control on the amp tht does not determine the maximum power that an amplifier can produce. As long as the signal level is clean,/ the amp can still produce the max power. The gain control are used to matych the amplifer's gain to the gain of the other amplifiers in the system (in the case of a multi-amp system). The gain controls also allow you to match the amplifier or amplfier's to the head unit. Not all head units have the same maximum preamp output voltage. Some head units are capable of producing 9 V out while others are only capable of 1.5 V out.

A head unit will resach its max output level (clipping) well before the volume control reaches the upper end of its range (usually at a point of 85-90% of its maximum range). Because of all of this, the gain is very important and should not be set to whatever, as it is not a volume knob (as it may seem to teenage human ears) lol -- just some info about gain :-)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2778
sry that wuz so long, lol. so since its 2v, ur amp should be set to 2v

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 210
how do i know if it is set at 2v? adn that was helpful info thanks..dident know that.

Bronze Member
Username: Feaiel

Post Number: 16
It could be something as simple as a cold solder joint or lifted trace. Either way, with 2 yrs of electronicx it should be an easy fix for ya. Are any of the components near the 'charring' look burnt or loose legs such as one of the transistors or caps? May have fried one of them as well. /shrug

Bronze Member
Username: Feaiel

Post Number: 17
btw transistors, inductors and transformers smoke like crazy when they go..didn't see a transformer near anything u were talking about in the posted picture..so mosfet maybe?? just a suggestion.

BOL

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 211
okay cool...school starts soon n ill just make a stop by my teachers lab and see if he can help me out.he has all the equipmentant and can use it to show his kids students. if i cant fix it iam try that place above. i sent em a mail to see if thay fix orions nd how much.
thx

back to setign teh gain so i dotn mess up again lol..how do i know if it is set at 2v?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2783
because you look in your amp manual, or sometimes they mark right on the amp itslef (around the gain) what the min v is and the max v is.

the min could be to 1v - 5v. or 200milivolts - 4 v. you just need to find out what the range is. when you know that, you just set where 2v would be in the sequence of numbers

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 212
kids/students**whatever u wana call em

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 213
what about all the other stuff on it? like the master/gain/copy switch or the phase switch or full/12/24 switch

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 214
sry so many questions..dont want this to happen again so i wana know all i can.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2785
dont worry about it. its best to get it right.

never heard of "master"

or "copy switch"

There is usually a

subsonic filter
Low pass filter
high pass filter
gain
x-over

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 215
the full(left)/12(middle)/24(right) is on 1 switch and the master(left)/gain(middle)/copy(right) is on another switch..ther is also a hp and lp filter and i have the hp turned off. i dont see a crossover anyplace. phase 0(switch moved left) 180(switch moved right).

lol no idea waht that stuff is but i wana know.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2787
the phase shift should be set to 0

i'm not sure what the other ones are though. your manual will have a good description.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 216
haha...great..noidea where it is..know if i can get a manual of the net?

wass alexited n dident read the book lol...had all the wires ran subs were in hu was great.. then my amp came i slaped it in and thay ran for a few months and well here i am now..

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2789
lol. yea. i cant find a manual on them online.

you can just create a thread on here askin if anyone has the orion, or knows how to set them.

you could do a search on google for amp settings or sumthin and see what it comes up with for those ones i dont know

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 217
haha...well thx for all the help. i am sure i will be back here soon to start that thread. wel time to get to bed..cya and thx again for all the help.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2791
peace

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1478
hahaha, you should get a PHD bassman hahaha

Gold Member