Playing with amps..at lower OHMS

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 318
So... i got bored and played around with an old amp i have... (ITS a POS) but its only 2ohm stable and 4ohm bridged... but anyways i connected a 1ohm load to it bridged and it was working for about 5 minutes before it got extremely hot and i turned it off, it still works fine, and i didnt really care if it did break.. the amp is like a 50$ amp lol. but is it possible for an amp to like instantly burn out from a ohm load that is to low for it... like .5ohm on a 1ohm styable mono

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 496
it will probly just go into protetion

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1267
I have ran my Kicker sx1250.1 on a .5 ohm load for a real long time actually, never got really hot either. I guess it depends if it is a quality amp or not. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2703
yes it does depend on the amp.

theoretically, if you run an amp 1/2 ohm load down, like if you had a 1000 watt amp @ 2 ohms, and you ran it at ohm, it will prolly put out around 1700 + @ 1 ohm. But the dangers of this is EXTREMELY high, becaue you have to remember that the amp isnt made for that low of an impedence.

amps like kicker i have seen ran at .5 ohm loads for months at a time, and still dont even get very hott

and yes, you can fry your amp to SH!T if you run it at too low of n impedence, the capaictors and the mosfets inside will burn and ur amp wont work.

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 319
is kicker a cooler running amp then a earthquake? i had one running at 1 ohm and it was too hot, i had a friend with a kicker 1600.1 amp and it never got hot either.. but could it like instantly burn out when you turn it on with to low of a imdependance

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2709
its possible.

i would pick kicker amps anyday

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1378
you will see smoke in a few minutes, not instantly jeje, an yeah kicker is better bc of the quality. I ran one legacy for experiment at 1 ohm, the thing lasted like 10 days and i was like WOW THIS THING doesn't blows jajaja, guess i was dreaming lol!

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 324
Good..... im going to see if my PA amp will give me 1000rms bridged at 2ohm :-)hehe.. any1 wanna place a bet on how long it will last?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1391
7 minutes.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2723
2 min, lol

Username: Killerzracing

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 5
do u think if u were to cool it down would it last longer.....LIke if u plumbed nitrous into it....that wouldnt be to much either 40$ for a refill a small bottle, lines, there u go....comps all day whut do u think

bout to do that 2 my Raa-1000 (yeah fu(kin right)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1432
hahaha that's sick, try putting some computer cooling fans

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 325
got my audioburns running 3.6 ohm on the PA 1920 amp bridged.. sounds decent for crappy sh!t i guess.. amp getting super hot... hook me up with some nitrous haha.. sh!t get hot and melt your tubes..and BOOM!!!! really get a explosion from your system haha

Gold Member

Post Number: 1452
haha that's sick!

nitrous oxide amp!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us