Blown Amp; Replace or New System?

Username: Rangetop

Post Number: 1
I just inherited an eighteen inch mb quart subwoofer (800 watts RMS, 2ohm DVC), along with an mb quart RAA1000 amplifier(1000 watts RMS @ 1ohm). Problem is, the amp went into protection when i put it in my car. I opened it up and found a capacitor(i guess?) had burst and leaked all over the main board of the amp. My question is, should i find the sub a new amp, or would i be better off selling the sub and starting a new system, one that fits in my trunk better, as the one eighteen in a sealed box takes up all useable trunk space in my 94 Cavalier. Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3563
I'd sell both, personally. Would it be too difficult to replace the cap? Then again, the cap might have been destroyed beyond recognition and you'd need a schematic to find the right one...

Post Number: 2
that's what i figured, any ideas on starting a system in the $700 range? i want high sq, with enough spl to bump a good rap song when the mood is right;)

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 348
Try this:

Sub:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6492.html

Amp:

Alpine: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3732.html

OR

SoundStream: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5433.html

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 471
i wouldnt go with that^^^^you could go niceer for the price

maybe an arsenal 15 and another mb quart raa1000 or another amp that puts out around 1000-1200rms@2ohm never mind mb amp is 1000 at one ohm so it wouldnt work whatever youget the poitn im to stoned to look for soem amps but have fun

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1623
Sounds like tonight isn't a good night for amps in general :'(

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3581
I'd get a 12" JL w6v2 with a 500/1 amp from ebay.

Post Number: 3
I'm liking that sub...hadn't even considered pioneer, though i think i heard that those spl models were alright...i have a lot to consider. Anyone else have input on this woofer?

Post Number: 4
oops, missed those last few comments. Alright then, ill look into the other stuff. Any other suggestions appreciated!

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 49
dude id stick with the eighteen. how many people can say the have an 18 inch sub? plus that would get LOUD with the right power.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1425
yeah, just is right, that thing can get loud but you can get 1 15 if you want to save space, i don't like the pioneer sub cuz is only loud. Check Crystal comp X, SI Mag...

for 700$ you can get a good bass system, but i'd personally stick to the 18 and buy a new 1000w rms 1 ohm amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I already got two 12" assassins and a q logic box i scored for 10 bux on ebay on the way. i wanted to do something different(and had no trunkspace). Oh, and that was a typo on the sub, it's a fifteen, PWE 352. One reason i don't stick with it is cuz it's not recommended for ported enclosures(that's what mb quart says neways). Plus i've heard it with the raa1000 in my friend's car, and i wasn't thrilled.

Oh and juliob, my parents are from DR, too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1495
cool bro, today is father's day here haha.

Talking about subs haha, i'd look the SI mag, that thing will pound with any amp you put, even with 1000w rms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
id love a mag, but they're way outta my price range. And id save up, but i feel like im gonna die from lack of bass, as i only have two 3.5" drivers up front with the bass cut at 600hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1501
haha that's sick!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us