BIG PROBLEM!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1610
I was just driving, and my front right speaker just crapped out on me...

I pulled over and checked all connections and everything is good. It just stopped playing, then started making crackling noises. It's not blown, because it sounds like a signal problem.

Just before I left I had taken one of the fuses out of my 4 channel amp to look at it (car was off), and then I put it back. Started driving, volume around 23-24, and poof, just ONE speaker...I don't think it's blown though, PLEASE HELP!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3550
It sounds like the RCA cable went bad or isn't making a good connection at the amp...especially if you had to move the amp around to get to the fuse. Check the speaker wiring at the amp terminal as well...

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1611
Ok, I switch speakers from channel 1 to 2 on the amp. Channel two is giving no signal, except some occasional static...

Is the channel blown?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1612
Bumpity bump bump.

I tried switching out RCA's Jexx, and that didn't help. All channel 2 does is make crackling noises. I switched fuses, and checked all the speaker wiring, and they weren't the problem...

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1613
EH HEM lol...Someone must have a clue...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3555
It sounds like so far, the problem is in or beyond the amp-especially if you know for sure that both of the pre-outs from the head unit are putting out clean sound and you have good RCA cable. What kind of amp is it, and how long have you had it? It's possible it might have gotten damaged...

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1614
Audiobahn A6004T. I've had it installed less than 6 months. My A8000T has been in for over a year now, and no problems...

My box slides around a little in the trunk, but the amps are mounted down...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3557
Do you have a DMM?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1615
Nope...I have a volt meter, and that's about it...

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1616
You know, it's got a red and black stylus type thing...I think it's a volt meter...I've got like 2 of them though...

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1617
Wait, I have something called a multitester...

It's not digital though, it's an analog style...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3558
If you can measure ohms with it, it should be fine, and even better if it has a diode-check function.

You're probably going to have to test the output transistors...I don't know if I should recommend it or not as it still might be a problem with something besides the amp.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1618
It says it's a 50,000 Ohms-per-Volt Volt-OHM-Meter Multitester...

Where are the output transistors? And what else could it be?

It's got a dial on it with all kids of stuff on it as labels...I don't know what half of it means, so what should the dial be set at?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3561
It should be set at the omega symbol: http://peaceworks.missouri.org/monitor/2002/novdec/images/omega.gif

The output transistors are mounted to the heatsink. They have three legs and look like this: http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/be/df/88_2.JPG

Basically, the best thing to do is check between legs and see if any have anything close to a 0 ohm resistance. If they do, you'll need to remove them from the pcb and test them more thoroughly per bcae1.com: http://www.bcae1.com/ampfail.htm (I know I'm probably going to use this a lot, I just found it and it's a great guide for testing mosfets).

If you swapped speaker connections and all of the other troubleshooting procedures, then yeah, the amp probably is bad...I've repaired a few amps before, so I'll help you where I can, but I can't guarantee I can tell you exactly how to fix it...if it seems like it's going to be too much work, you can try taking it to an electronics repair center or send it to http://www.audiotekx.com/ and have Jason take a look at it.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1619
Or say screw it, wait a month or so, and buy an ED Nine.4 (or whatever the model is lol).

The amp was only $85...I think it's just a matter of time before the A8000T craps out too. I'll probably just go full ED amps after that...

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1620
Would an ED be more reliable and powerful (not to mention at 12.5V) than my Audiobahn amps?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3567
I'd say so.

Though remember that most new amps have regulated power supplies (PWM) so no matter how many volts they get, they still output the same amount of power.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1621
Well the 12.5V would be great so that I wouldn't need a constant 14.4V like with the A-Bahns. Man this sucks, I didn't plan on spending $235...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3569
$235 for the new amp? Does it have to be a four channel? For that price there are some really nice two channels out there-especially if you're willing to buy used on ebay.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1622
Four channel is just easiest for me to hook up without running my speaker wires through the doors in parallel. Makes life a little simpler...

Actually, I have a friend...who's really stupid...
I'm tempted to tell him I got the amp fixed, and just sell it to him broken. I know it's morally wrong lol, but it'd get me some quick cash...

He already installed most of his system wrong (even down to the HU), so he'd never be able to tell...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3582
Don't do that man lol what if he finds out? and you don't want to start him off in the car audio world with bad equipment :-)

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1624
You mean like his JL Audio sub, his really really cheap Alpine HU (cheapest model), a 60W MAX amp for the JL sub, and some cheapy Pioneer speakers?

Alright lol...

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 472
tyler dont really know whats up with your amp iv had my 6004t for over 6 months my directed a802 is comming soon! but havnt had problems at all with it. but a bahn amps are rated at 12.5 volts too. or so iv seen in specs. good luck with getting it fixed/finding a new amp

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1625
Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a Cerwin Vega XL 300.4.

It doesn't look as cool, but I can depend on it to last and put out some true power at least...I have CV products and have always had good luck with them, so I hope this works out...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5599
If you want to be 100% sure, then get a portable cd player and attach it to the amp's rca input. If it plays without any problem, then it's not the amp. You can also test the speaker itself by attaching it directly to a portable radio.
It is possible that your speaker wire strands are loose and grounding out.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1626
I dunno, when I did the install on that amp, everything was VERY tight.

I had a grounding out problem like you said, with my HU, and the HU would shut off, so you'd think the amp would go into protection (and it does) when the speaker wires are removed and touch something else while the amp is on...I'm going to say I blew a channel.

I have an old Kenwood receiver (KR-6600) and it has a channel that was blown at one time, and it made the same type of noises...Still does occasionally after being fixed.

I decided on the ED amp...It should be worth it to spend the extra $$$, instead of going cheaper again...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5600
It doesn't matter what you buy, unless you fix the problem, it can cause more damage. I'd personally would do the test.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1627
Ok, I did the test, and I used my Ipod (that will work the same of course right?). And the channel still doesn't get a signal, except the static.

What would cause a channel to blow? I had everything set properly...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3602

quote:

What would cause a channel to blow?

If you had everything wired properly...bad parts or poor manufacturing on the amp's part. Electronics fail all the time where it's not the consumer's fault.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5601
Now you have to do the 2nd test. COnnect the speaker directly to a portable radio. If it produces sound without distortion, then the amp is blown. If not, you have grounding issue.
Most of the time, when an amp blows, it's caused by wire strands shorting out or signal overload from HU (incorrectly set gain/level).

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1632
I don't have a portable radio, and the ED amp has already been shipped as of 1:30 :-(...

I know the wiring was done properly, as I had an HU problem a while back, and they checked all the amps wiring at the local install shop (and I had a friend who's taken all the training for this stuff check it out) and the amps were all done very well.

I went through all the wires in the car, and they're all good. Was a pain taking off panels and crap again...But everything is secure...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us