Best place to ground a HU?

Username: Auroradrvr

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Post Number: 2
I have an Oldsmobile Aurora, with a Alpine 9855 HU. I have a bit of an alt. whine problem and was wondering where the best spot would be to ground the HU? The thing is that, I tried grounding it to a large metal brace for the factory radio that ties into the dash/firewall and the Alpine wouldn't turn on. I then connected it to the "-" wire in the OEM radio harness and it worked and I left it.

I have no idea where the '-' wire runs. Should I make a new grounding spot on the metal floor (paint removed, etc) or is using OEM the best?

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 940
what about the wire on the harness for the HU

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Post Number: 3
That's the wire I am currently using. I wanted to know if that was the best wire, or to ground the HU to the bottom of the car.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1302
The "Best" way to ground your HU, would actually be a slightly oversized wire directly to your battery.

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Post Number: 4
Sweet, thanks, gonna play with it tomm. I have a bunch of 14ga speaker wire, I'll just split and use. Is there any harm with running the ground with the main power wire down the right side of the car? My battery is located under the rear seat in my car.

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 184
nah no problem just make sure you fuse the positive wire with a fuse the matches your headunit.

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the help. I redid all of my grounds, HU, active crossover, speaker and sub amps, all to a distr. block, then to the battery, then all directly to the battery with no avail.

The found the source of the noise was my crossover, Clarion MCD-360. Dunno why. Plugged the same input RCAs in my speaker amp and no whine at all. I'm still using it to for my subs. It's was a bit redundant for the speakers anyway with the features of the 9855.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us