Trouble hooking up 2 amp's

Bronze Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 44
Ok, I have 860mp, hooked up the sub preout sub works perfectly. Then I decide to use my 4ch amp, this is when things go bad! 1st I try to hook up the remote wire on the 4ch to the 2ch amp, well this turned off my sub amp, but my 4ch amp came and stayed on! Don't know if it was a bad connection or not. Oh, 4ch is using the 1st two channels to power my rear (6x9s). Ok, w/o the sub on, my rear was playing loud and clear, but no bass. Yes, I had the high pass on, but turned it off to get some bass, and it sounded like complete crap so i turned it back on. Well, then i un hook both remote wires an hook up the remote wire from my 4ch amp to the back of my radio, where the other remote wire is. Well, for some reason my rear make this screaching noise and wouldn't play music, and keep in mind this is with the amp NOT grounded. So how could my amp come on w/o it being grounded? It is under my seat, so the only thing i can think of is the amp was touching metal?? No the ground wire wasn't had it under my mat. Sorry so long guys, almost done. The thing is when i grounded the 4ch amp it would then play music but with the noise :-( So i just unhooked the remote so now it's completely off. Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? And my 4ch amp is on my rear high preout, should i have put it on the midbass preout? I would like some bass out of my 6x9s, if possibly. Any help is greatly appreciated, i would be trying to figure it out but it's like 1:25m am over here and don't want to mess anything else up

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2408
you should NEVER try to run the amp when its not grounded, because the amp could ground itself through the RCA's and fry the amp

all the amp needs to be turned on is to be hooked to the power atenna from the HU

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
yea, i know the amp should only come on if my radio is on. How can I prevent it from becoming grounded through the RCA's? What about that noise I hear? Is my amp fryed? will have more info tomorrow when i check it out. please leave any advice on things i should check?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
ok, update i only get the noise when the key is in the "ON" postion. it gets worse when the car is turned on. :-( But here's the better news, I found out the noise is comming from the engine area, didn't sound like the alt, but who knows. I get the noise when it's in the on position with the radio off. Would a ground isolator help with the noise? I don't hear the noise after i turn it up to 10/40. And would that make the ground for my sub be crappy? As in it starts to clip when i hear that noise.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3428
Make sure you have a good ground. Like bassman said, NEVER run the amp without it being grounded. It will ground itself through the head unit and fry itself and possibly take the head unit with it. You prevent it from grounding through the RCAs by making sure it is grounded. If you have to disconnect the ground, disconnect the RCAs first, always. It's possible you already lost the amp by the sound of it.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2484
hey jexx, do u have aim??

and it does sound like ur amp may be gone :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
well, i know you are like a guru on here Jexx, but I don't think my amp is fryed, b/c like i said i hear the system noise when nothing's hooked up and the car is in t he "on" position. I recently had my engine replaced and i think he screwed something up. Like the car won't be running i put it in the "on" position and there is a buzzing sound coming out my engine bay. no it does not come through my speakers at this time. IT DOES come through after i hook up the amp and the car is in the same position. With the amp hooked up and the car in the "acc" position i get NO noise coming through the speakers. Would my amp still be blown if it's like this? If it is, i have another one i can test on the speakers but i don't wanna blow them, it's a bigger amp. Any ideas guys? Before I went waste some money on the ground loop isolator i wanted to get some help. Oh, same goes for the amp on the subs, only hear it when car in the "on" position. No sound through the subs, but the amp clips slighlty, could just be a bad ground i'm hoping. I can get rid of the clipping or rather not hear it by simply turning up the radio. Last but not least, b4 i got my engine replaced, i had no noise when the car was in the "on" position, or that clippin problem. The sub amp gain and bass boost is at min. The 4ch amp the same thing with high pass filter on. If you need any more info let me know

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3431
bassman:Yeah, I have AIM, well I use ebuddy.com for it haha. It's illuminator32, but I have to add you first so that I can see you on my list.

Icepick:It sounds most like when the engine was replaced, the 'big 3' wires weren't secured correctly. http://forums.carreview.com/showthread.php?s=8d7c7487dda8c1c2858a71cfdf0be4ae&t= 678

It might even be worth replacing those wires if the old ones are corroded or just too small.

In addition, just be sure the paint is scraped away from where you have the amp grounded, and that it is clean from all debris etc.

So just to be clear, is it just the sub amp that isn't outputting sound? And then the 4ch amp has a lot of noise?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
yeah i noticed i had an even smaller wire going from my engine to chasis :-( I was like wtf! So i'm most likely going to do the big three soon. Oh, well i think i may have it figured out, was caught up fixing my AC today, finally works again! The wire i was using on my 4ch amp was a 10G with NO fuse, wait b4 u scold me i was just testing it out to see if i had it hooked up correct. Well, i put the key in the "on" & "acc" position and NO noise, this is w/o the 10g with no fuse on. tomorrow i will do more test it's late now. my q is, will i get noise it the power wire has no fuse?? I think my mechanic put smaller wires than i had b4, could that cause noise? Tomorrow i will hook up my amp with the 10g and see if it makes noise, then i will hook it up with my 8g going to the sub and see if it makes noise. and yes i scrapped away the paint going to the sub amp, not for the 4ch, but was only testing that's y.

Ok.....to be clear....Sub amp sounds good but clips a little no noticeable unless my back seat it down and volume low. Keep in mind i'm using the same ground as before i got another engine with no clipping b4. At higher volumes like 10/40 you can't hear the sub amp clip.

As for the 4ch amp....i get a lot of noise when at low volumes (9 or below out of 40) then the voices overpower it so i don't hear it anymore. I tried switching RCA cables with known working ones, same noise. don't know if it matters, but i tried the front and rear outputs for the 4ch, noise with both.

will update 2morrow, thanx 4 the help @Bassman3 & Jexx

oh, almost 4got...can this cause noise to the speakers- I ran my wire from my 4ch amp to the speakers a little short, and added about a feet, twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape.

sorry i kno this is a lot, but i'm getting 12g speaker wire, will this improve my bass? I have a 1000w amp 2ch going to 2 subs, it's a cheap amp so i know it's not putting out a lot of power but it has 18g speaker wire on my subs now. Am i restricting current to them? i also have the same 18g going to my 6x9's off a 600w 4ch amp, should i use 12g speaker wire to them also?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2525
your power wire will not be inductin noise or any sort of noise. at least it shouldnt be. there are myths that when ur RCA's are ran along wit power wires, it can induce noise or engine noise into ur car. this is just a myth tho, but if you do not have good quality well sheilded RCA's, this could happen.

speaker wire wont improve bass either. the general rule for speaker wire is 12-16 awg is fine, and anything bigger than that is jus for looks. for the 6x9's, 16awg is fine, and 18awg is a lil small for subs.

it's late, peace

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
ok, sry for the late update.....it was the crappy rca's and i got a ground loop isolator. No noise at all, lol problem is i went to walmart got some more rca's (i know not the best place) opened the box and the shielding was crap noise even with the gli. So will go tomorrow and get some real rca's. Oh, can anyone explain what might be wrong...When my rear speakers are connected to my 4ch amp i get no base. Yes, i checked the preout it's on the high front. (thats for highs i know) but then I tried the rear mid and still no bass, yes i turned off the high pass filter on the amp. bass it fine when hooked up to factory wiring. Not really important since i have 2 12's, but was wondering why....does anyone recommend some reasonably priced rca's? that i can get in a store

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2588
ebay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us