NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 113
I just put in a brand new head unit in my girl friends 1997 Ford Probe (Yes Ford, I know...). I went online and found some speaker diagrams so I knew whats what and I wired everything up. I turned it on to see if it was getting power and yes, it was.

I turned on the radio and there is no sound comming out of the speakers. On the trouble shooting page of the booklet, it says that either one or more of the speaker wires are not connected or there are some wires touching eachother. I checked all the wires and everything in tightly in place, and nothing is touching eachother.

I called up a sterio shop and they said that there is a factory amp in the car somewhere thats causing this to happen. I don't want to pay $50 for them to find where it is and then pay another $50 to fix the problem.

So does anyone know where this factory amp is in a 1997 Ford Probe and what I would do to fix the problem?

(I also posted this in the Head Unit section but, I only got 1 reply so I was hoping that you guys would have more to say)

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 115
ok, I found a diagram of the Probe and you can see where the amp is. also, theres like some subwoofer assembly thing in the trunk? what is that?

anyway, now that I know where it is, what do I do with it? just take it out or something?

http://www.aus-cartalk.com/probe/images/Audiomap.jpg (the diagram of the car)

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2565
use the remote wire and hook it to the amp turn on wire in the cars harness or you may need to bypass the speakers at the amp.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 116
ok, well after 2 hours of ripping the pannels out, I finally got the amp out. After looking at it closely, on one side of the amp is where the speaker wires go in and on the other side is where the speaker wires come out and also, there are three other wires that come out as well and I don't know what there for.

There all green, accept one has a orange stripe and one has a black stripe. Does anyone know what they are?

Also, the speaker wires that come out of the amp have changed colors and I can't find any diagrams or anything online to what which ones are which. Does anyone know where I can find out this information?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us