Sony amps with polk-mono subs? crazy set-up?

Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 1
Advice appreciated on the following set-up:

-Sony head unit w/CD changer (already owned)
-2 MM-12's, Polk-Momo 12' subs in enclosure 500W RMS, 1000W Peak, 4ohms SVC($99 each)
-2 pr's of Polk dB 650's for front and rear 60W RMS, 180W Peak 4ohms($150 total)
-1 Sony XM-2200GXT 2 ch amp to run 200W X 2 at 4Ohms for subs ($99)
-1 Sony XM-2200GXT 2 ch amp to run the four coax's at 250W RMS X 2 at 2 ohms, left front and rear in parallel, right front and rear in parallel ($99)

I bought the cheap amps as a temporary move until I can afford a better monoblock amp to run the 2 subs in parallel at 2 ohms for max efficiency.

I really just need a 4 ch amp for the four polk coax's, but, again, want to wait to afford a higher quality amp, rather than buy a mid-level amp now. I'll be careful to keep the gain way down at first to power the coax's. I fear this amp and speaker set up at 2 ohms will just blow the speakers too easy, as I tend to crank beyond the distortion point (in the past anyway).

I may be able to get the Polk single channel amp for about $250 to run the subs. Any opinions on that setup?

The coax's take 60W RMS and 180W Peak, so I don't really need a beefy, expensive amp. Any suggestions here?

By the way, the Sony amp specs are as follows:
200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

For the subs, it's clearly not 2ohm stable in bridged mode (with subs in parallel), so I'd run it 200W X 2 at 4 ohms. Is this wishful thinking that it'd be OK for 3-6 months until getting a better amp. I don't need the tightest, hardest bass, just good enough to crank with mostly rock type music, some rap.

Feel free to roast, I know the set-up's pretty hodge-podge. I do need help before I feel free to open boxes and start the install.

Oh, it'll be in a 96 honda civic and I've got all the wiring down, 4ga power cables, fuses, etc.

Thanks everyone.

City of Angels

Post Number: 2
By the way, I may be able to get a Polk-Momo amp for $200, the 2 channel rated as follows:

Channels 2/1 (bridgeable)
Total Dynamic Power (all ch. driven) 850 watts
14.4 Volts RMS Not Bridged @ 1kHz
4 Ohms 150 watts x 2
2 Ohms 220 watts x 2
14.4 Volts RMS Bridged
4 Ohms 550 watts x 1

I guess one amp for my 2 subs would only be 150W X 2 at 4 ohms.

Anonymous

anything sony is CHEAP

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2698
Polk are nice components.
forget Sony completely. They make nothing but crap for car audio.
no reliability at all and very poor performance.

City of Angels

Post Number: 6
Yeah, I knew Sony was not a good match for my Polks, so I went out today and picked up a Polk-Momo C500.1 single channel amp today to run the two subs at 2 ohms.

I also got a smokin deal on the Polk C300.2, a 2 channel amp to run the coax's in parallel at 2 ohms. Maybe I'll get another of these 2ch amps so I can adjust the gain between front and rear speakers. Any suggestions on this idea?

$229 for the monoblock, and $169 for the 2 channel, I'm stoked on these prices.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2725
very nice

Anonymous

If you really want it for the rear speakers, go for it, I just ran mine off the head unit. Eventually I upgraded to Diamond Audio Hex S600, which has a rear fill crossover built in, and it is an AWESOME component set. Rear fill sounds nice. I'm pushing it with a JL 300/2. You probably won't notice a difference unless you like the rears almost as loud as the front speakers. The main difference with the component's crossovers was the fact that the frequency range was controlled.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2740
here's some useful info on rear fill and the problems with it:

http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=38.topic
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us