High power class a/b amp list

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 147
i would like to make a list of high power class a/b amps for sub use

i plan on using this list to make my next purchase.. i think it will also give members of the forum a split amp recommendation.. one list for sound quality and the other list for efficiency

after finding out what kind of electrical system they keep or are willing to upgrade and the sound quality of their subs we can select from either list

i am looking for a class a/b amp to run a 12w7

i have come across these amps

DAB1800X
http://www.digitalaudioinc.com

Hifonics XX Chaos
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/4371

those are the only two that i can find that give 700+ watts @ 3ohm

this list needs to be at least 200watts @4ohm to fit into the high power category

im gonna start the list and i would appreciate if anybody adds to it

zapco 750.2
http://www.zapco.com/

LANZARMXA242
http://www.audioclubhouse.com/proddetail.php?prod=MXA242

LANZAR MXA252
http://www.caraudiodeals.com/product_info.php?products_id=565

HIFONICS TXi5006
http://www.audioclubhouse.com/proddetail.php?prod=TXI5006

HIFONICS Zeus ZXi6406
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?dp=E2F2C2D222E6421253B3D363C3B357E3736373731 34313&stk_code=hifzxi6406&svbname=32&CA=Y

HIFONICS Zeus ZXi1006
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=6517

HIFONICS TXi7506
http://cnet.bizrate.com/caramplifiers/pid415455452/compareprices__nwylf--.html

DUB Mag Audio DUB2502
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUB-MAG-AUDIO-DUB2502-Amplifier-2-Channel-Class-A-B-NEW_W0QQ itemZ110000917006QQihZ001QQcategoryZ18796QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8232
DLS has a few.....

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8233
http://www.soundstream.com/amplifiers-human.htm

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3846
yeah. DEFIITELY check out DLS.

my A6 puts out 500wRMS at 4 ohms.

and it is underrated.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 835
there's a crunch from maxxsonics that says 1600w @1 ohm, i bet is overrated but will put a nice amount of power

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 148
that dls amp puts me at about 650watts at 3ohm and i seen that crunch amp when i was making the list but i didnt consider it worthy

its not a bad list.. but i find it hard to believe theres only 2 mainstream amps that support 700watts+ at 3ohm

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 884
JBL Power BPX500.1 puts out 700w 1-4ohm

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 262
Arc Audio got some
Genesis (one of da best)
Brax
Some PPI's
Diamond Audio

and so on

Silver Member

Post Number: 848
why do you have lanzar on the list?

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 149
because its 2400 watts @ 4ohm

subtract 900 watts because the internals are filed as cheap

that leaves it with 1500 watts with a probability of being very clean

and that probability is high with the most sensitive test equipment

when i was finding amps for the list i put it here cause its a popular amp.. that doesnt mean ppl buy them but i see them often

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1236
Why would you say "sound quality" or "efficiency"? I can guarantee you arent super-human with your hearing.. :-) So, if your ears are in fact human, you will not hear the difference in the same amount of clean power, given to a sub, by a class AB, or a class D amplifier.

There are no disadvantages to using a class D amplifier to power a subwoofer, over a class AB.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1237
oh BTW - that dub mag audio amp you have, is only 550 watts bridged... And they're over-rated already..

Also - they are the single most lousy line of amplifiers in existance, I believe. I've used a couple of these, and literally...Words cannot begin to describe how truely horrible they are.

http://www.epinions.com/content_234916122244

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 150
class d amps have a buffer reading the output and sending it back in the chain

unless the map is psychic.. its not quality

its no different then playing first person shooters

if you render ahead your actually slowing down to add reliability.. basically you are a couple frames slower then the next person

if your upgrading for quality reasons you should know why your old quality sucks

play a 10hz note on a woofer and understand that each peak to peak is a crest

if the woofer slows down at all during the back to back motion it now becomes distortion because the wave has gone from playing strict 10hz to 10ish kinda 9hz

the feedback system isnt perfect and the woofer will slow down and speed up during the 10hz wave

its communication and communication takes time

i dont want a box of metal with two dip wads that have to talk everything out when i can let the hyperactive solo do it without question

and lets say they have all the feedback kinks worked out to 1 nano second

peak to peak @ 10hz with a 1 nano second correction time equals 1 billion possibilities of error

10hz means the speaker moves back and forth 10 times in 1 second

1 second equals 1 billion nanoseconds

that means every second there is a chance of 1 billion errors

now play 50hz.. thats 50 moves in 1 second with 1 billion chances for error BUT the higher the sub plays the smaller the peak to peak gets

as the excursion grows smaller the distortion is greater because the room for error is less

for example.. if your only movin millimeter by millimeter and you trip (amp error) thats cutting that millimeter in half and the speaker only moves half as much as it should

that is also the same thing as an amp clipping because if the amp has a 1 nanosecond error and only moves half a millimeter your sub just stopped.. instead of traveling that extra 1/2 millimeter the sub just sits still creating heat that will blow the sub coil quick

why dont my subs voice coil fry then?

well thats because the amp uses pulse technology that slowly pushes the speaker in and out while the music plays on top of it

so when the amp trips and that 1/2 millimeter comes up the sub doesnt stand still because its slowly moving in and out

watch some sub videos when they pulse.. they call it a camera trick but it shows the evil so i guess the only ppl who got tricked are the ones who dont understand

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 685
Elevation Audio DX 80x4

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
Seth that's the funniest review i've ever seen jaja, wait until you get legacy or pyramid lmao!

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1094
LOL, don't even bother Seth, I already argued with him about this and he wouldn't listen. It's worthless. Although you are completely right, there is no way to tell D from A/B when powering a sub. If you could tell then somebody would be getting paid $10,000 from Richard Clark. And it hasn't happend yet. So if he wants to waste his money with buying a VERY expensive and inefficient amp for negligible results, by all means let him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1238
Believe, this is in response to the crapfest you wrote earlier.

Sure, one nano second talk science behind it all you want.

So lets talk something else about the human biology we could relate this to.

The human eye see's about what? It's much debated, but the common answer is between 30-64ish, but to avoid debate on THIS subject, lets even say it was 100.

If your eye can see 100 frames per second, what good would it do, to watch a movie with 10,000 frames per second? You would notice no difference watching it at normal play speed, between 10,000 frames, and 100 frames.

The human ear can be related to this - in the fact that it has limits to it's abilities. At the frequencies a subwoofer plays, your ear is not going to even come close to hearing the difference in the output of a class A/B amplifier, and a class D amplifier.

Comparing it to my previous example (just a comparison, the physics behind it, are of course, different) a class D amp would be like watching that movie at 100 frames per second, whereas a class A/B amp would be like watching that movie at 1,000 frames per second. You're not going to see/hear the difference between these two.

So you can talk all your little nano second errors billions of possibilities half millimeter not-too-far gibberish all you'd like. I just put this into simple terms that maybe you'll be able to understand.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 153
slow a sub down to 5hz and put this in slow motion

as the sub slowly moves out a class d amp will push the cone at a variable speed

a class a/b amp will push out with a constant speed

that means a class d amp will slur and stutter musical notes before a class a/b amp will

why would you consciously buy 100 frames per second over 1,000?

all day long ppl in this forum are telling others to buy something better

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1096
OMG dude, I told you this before. Would you just shut up about it?

Who the hell listens to a 5 hz tone anyway?

Find your own damn amp if you aren't going to listen to us. Your ranting makes no sense and it is only making inexperienced ones in this forum dumber. So for everyones sake, cease talking.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 154
half @ssed quality here!

get your half @ssed quality here!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1241
Believe - get your half @ssed info here - should be your new slogam. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 878
believe is dumb, he's buying something that he won't listen, just because he's dumb. Why do you want to see a movie with 1000 frames if you're only going to see 100. Get 100 and don't be stupid!

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 894
Believe - there seem to be many, MANY trees blocking your view of the forest.

But - FWIW - if you look at Lanzar's manuals on line you'll see that the mxa242 is 400w rms bridged, and the 252 is 600.

However, you should probably still keep them both on your short list since they'll OBVIOUSLY sound better than a nice 1000w class D amp.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 155
well.. film isnt perfect and there are still times when the original film that the movie was recorded on has flaws

im sure youve seen at the movie theatre when theres spots all over the picture that flash

like an old vinyl record with all the crackles and pop

watching all those imperfections at 100 frames per second would be much more noticable then if you were watching them pass by at 1,000 frames per second

with 1,000 fps special effects would have better frame by frame detail

and i do believe we just upgraded optical mice to laser

same scenario.. the grid is much larger with a laser mouse then with an optical mouse

your hand might not need all the extra grid but its more precise when you need it

what about more megapixel in a camera.. how many megapixels can one percieve?

should they stop once they get there?
hell no! then they can start workin on 3D photos on flat paper with all the extra pixels they have

what about those pictures within a picture?

maybe your eyes are fooled at 5,000 and no longer see individual pics

but 50,000 would be like going from 16 bit color to 32 bit color

youll get farther with locked knees rather then trembling ones

(reverting back to my variable/constant push statement)

Silver Member

Post Number: 888
ok, listen to 5hz notes if that's what you want

Bronze Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio

Post Number: 65
um 5 hz you aint going to hear nothing but cone movemant so youll be looking and feeling not hearing it lol.. off topic you know theres a theory that we are 2d and not 3d.. oh and vinyl sounds better than cd according to dj's so wich is better cd or vinyl lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us