Amp for Alpine type R subs?

Username: Twist

Post Number: 1
Im in the process of buying an all alpine sound system, recently baught two type R componant sets, and my next buy will be two 10" Type R subs. My question is what kind of amp should I run? Or, should I be running 2 amps, one for the componant sets and one for the subs. And if so, then what two amps do i go with? Thanks alot. Im new to alpine stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 228
You would want 2 amps, u dont want to run components with subs...mess somthing up. How many components you got..... Front and rear(2 sets?) and the 2 10" type R's are going to be what 2ohm or 4ohm? SVC or DVC.. im not sure if they come in all those but i dont wanna search, give specfics about the subs and components...specs and you can get alot more help.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 136
Like John said, you'll definitely want to go with separate amps for your comps and your subs. And more specific info would be helpful but I'll assume you're running two sets of 6.5 Type R comps (since that's the most commonly used size). By "all alpine system" does that mean you're looking to go with Alpine amps as well?

Without knowing what brand of amp you want for sure, i'll just say that you'll probably want to push those speakers with between 60 and 100 watts RMS per, and those subs can each handle 500W RMS. With that in mind, you want to look for a 4 chanel amp that'll put out that kind of wattage RMS at 4 ohms for your speakers. If you wanted to stick with Alpine, something like this would probably work well for you.

For your subs, it'll depend (as John mentioned) what version you get and how much power you're looking to feed them, but I know Type Rs are DVC and, like I said, they're ratted for 500W RMS. Your wiring options are laid out here by selecting the number of subs and what ohm and voice coil setup. Basically, if you get a pair of 2 ohm DVC subs, you can run them together at 2 ohm or 8 ohm, or if you go with a pair of 4 ohm DVC subs you can run them at 1 ohm or 4 ohms. You just want to make sure that whatever amp and wiring setup you go with that the amp will push somewhere in the area of 500W RMS to each sub in order to get the most out of them.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 231
If your looking for the best sound you can get from the subs i would go with the 4ohm versions so you can run them at 1ohm, and get a 1ohm stable mono block :-)

Post Number: 2
thats awsome, thx for the info guys. And yeah, im going to be going with 2 alpine amps, 2 alpine subs and a alpine 7" dvd in dash. As for what im gonna be running them for ohms, im not really sure, thats why i decided to ask before setting myself in a decision. Oh and ya its two 6.5 alpine componant sets, type R. so 4 tweets, 4 mids and 4 crossovers. I already have one set wired into my car, im just waiting on my subs and amp because im going to mod the box to hold my other 2 speakers since their going in a 88 civic or possible a mazda3 or supercharged cobalt ss. Im not a big rap guy, so im hoping to go with whatever will give me the fastest pull. 10" seems a much better then 12", i have a rockford punch HX2 right now and its kinda slow. I listen to punk and hardcore mostly. Its fast, but 10's would be faster and more clear.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 817
post pics when you get it done

Post Number: 3
definatly. I actually test drove a Mazda 3 sport GT today, pretty sure im gonna buy it. My quesiton about running them at 1 ohm, and this could be entirely wrong, so I apologize if it is, but running 2 subs on a 1 ohm mono block, do I lose power? Basicly, Im hoping that I will be able to compare to my brothers truck, who runs 2 Power HX2's, 1 rockford componant set, and two BD500's. I know powers are big as$ subs, and they are 12's as opposed to mine which will be 10".

Oh and the comp sets are said to run at 75rms i think it is. So im thinking running them at 60 would be best, just for safety reasnons. The subs, like you said are 500rms each, so I guess running 1 amp to power them both would be good. Possible a 1000watt amp? Any suggestions would be great, i appreciate the info so far.Upload

This is what im driving right now.Me and my dad built it so it was a good project for 8 months.
Altezza tails,Porjector front,Body kit is fully molded into the car so its all one peice,Perelli (however you spell it) tires.

Post Number: 4
I just checked out that amp Alpine MRP-F450, thats perfect, im actually gonna be buying it off ebay like tommorow. Thats great, and coinsidently, its from the same guy on ebay i baught my componant sets from,haha. Its going for like 230 canadian right now. So basicly, My next buy will be the type R subs.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8225
alpine makes nice stuff - in fact i own their F545 4chan amp & 2 12s type R subs (see in bragging section)

if u want 2 play it safe with slightly underpowering comps like ur thinking , ya thats cool .

With type Rs however u can over power them like give them 600wrms easily like i & many others do so yes u can buy alpine MDR M1005 but u MUST buy the 2ohms dvc model if ur getting 2 subs

OR - u can buy 2 M605 amps but in this case u buy the 4ohms dvc model .

Oh & port those subs low like 32-35hz & u will def love them .......

Post Number: 5
ok so just to get it straight, i looked up both of those amps for prices, the m1005 is a 900 watt,600rms right? now if i get the 2 ohm dvc model, that gives each sub 300 rms?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8229
MRD-M1005

RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-200Hz)
* Per channel into 2 ohms : 700W x 1
* Per channel into 4 ohms : 500W x 1

RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-200Hz)
* Per channel into 2 ohms : 1000W x 1 (1% THD)

each sub will get 1/2 of total wattage yes

do note that most cars idle around 13.8v or close ....

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8230
MRD-M1005

RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-200Hz)
* Per channel into 2 ohms : 700W x 1
* Per channel into 4 ohms : 500W x 1

RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-200Hz)
* Per channel into 2 ohms : 1000W x 1 (1% THD)

each sub will get 1/2 of total wattage yes

& Alpine has come out with new 2oo6 models

do note that most cars idle around 13.8v or close ....

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 139
Yeah, I'm not sure where you got your numbers Andrew, but Rovin's specs for that amp are correct. That M1005 would power those Type Rs nicely, giving each sub somewhere just below 500W depending on your voltage.

Definately keep us up to speed and post some pics when you get everything installed.

Post Number: 6
i just looked up the amp quickly on a site that had some info, apparently they were wrong,lol. But thats good to know.Im definatly gonna look into the m1005.

Me and my brother are going to design and build a carpeted box on the weekend I think, and if im lucky ill con him into helping me fiberglass it to,haha. We'v built our own boxes and stuff from the start, I find you can build boxes with a much better sound quality then if you baught them.

What are your opinions on porting the boxes for 10" type R's? Iv never had a ported box before for any of my subs.

Oh and i also just baught two sunvisor screens. Not alpine, but whatever.Cant wait to get this all set up!

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2425
try the memphis 1000d
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us