Do rca wires need to be grounded?

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 424
I bought teh wires of Knuckopetz or what ever and the rca wire have a tiny wire ontop of them end to end i tink its a ground wire would i need to use that?

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1207
That's for the remote wire. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Highstone

Post Number: 207
No, the RCAs do not need to be grounded. Like seth said Its the Remote Turn On Wire.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3223
Ground the RCAs and you'll quickly find yourself in the market for a new head unit haha :-)

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 427
Never does hurt to ask:-)

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 890
Some rca's do have a drain (ground) wire, but I don't think Knu's do. I would agree it's probably a remote wire. Knu's website should mention it.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 450
I just put black electrical tape over both ends and it works just fine. I havea tiny REM wire running from HU to Amp i think already so is that okay:S?

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 670
Its a balanced connection cable.
A method of interconnecting audio components using a three-wire cable in which there are two signal wires and one ground wire, all of which may be inside a cylindrical shield that is also grounded. The two signal conductors both have the identical impedances to the common ground terminal, hence the name Balanced. Because of this such interconnections are highly immune to ground-originated noises and hum. It is widely used in professional audio systems which routinely have very long cable runs and very complex interconnections of signal and power grounds.

http://www.jbl.com/home/technology/glossary.aspx?Language=ENG&Country=USA&Region =&act=connections

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 893
the only interconnects from Knu including a 3rd wire that I can find is the Klarity. It states clearly in the description that it is a remote wire.

"This 1 Meter (39") RCA cable also has a built in remote turn on lead."

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 688
It can be used as either.

Username: Mattysega

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 2
rca are earthed to the head unit which is in turned earthed. the outer shield is earth. the wire you are talking about is the remote wire but i wouldn't recomend using it. rca's are prone to interference although it is only carrying a small amount of current is still right next to your audio signal!! try running another cable on the opposite of the car.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 903
"rca's are prone to interference although it is only carrying a small amount of current is still right next to your audio signal!!"

no, not true.
A high current power wire can't even induce noise - although many people falsely believe it can. The remote wire is not in any way a noise source.

You're carrying the power wire myth even a step further.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1263
^^^ He is 101% correct.

Period.

Bronze Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 39
101!!!!But that's not even possible!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »