Fuse Amps?

Username: Lickwid

PA

Post Number: 5
My amp has a 40 amp fuse plugged in. The wiring kit that i got came with 80 amp. I went to my local car audio store and got a 30 amp for my inline fuse. What is the leeway for amperage from one fuse to another? I heard it should be the same, everywhere i went though did not have a 40 amp fuse for the inline.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2651
if the amp has a 40A fuse, that means it's capable of drawing up to 40A.
You'll want an in-line fuse rated for 40A or slightly larger.
The in-line fuse is mainly to prevent a dead short so as long as teh amp itself is fused, you'd be pretty safe going with a slightly larger in-line rating.

Username: Lickwid

PA

Post Number: 6
so using a fuse that is smaller than the one on the amp for the inline isnt recommended? could it cause any harm to my vehicle? Could i use a 80 amp fuse for the inline with the 40 amp on the amplifier?

Bronze Member
Username: Oldman20

Post Number: 11
Read the thread. You need to have a 'slightly' larger fuse for the in-line. Having a smaller in-line fuse would just blow it when the amp is pulling hard. It won't hurt the car. Having a too large inline amp is not too bad but you better hope the amp's fuse is working...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2662
if the fuse is 30A it may work fine unless you use the amplifier at full output.
then all that will happen is you'll blow the fuse.
just means you'll need to replace that 30A fuse.
the 80A fuse is twice the size you need. I think you should look elsewhere for a 40A or 50A fuse for that holder.
try partsexpress.com or sounddomain.com
they both sell a huge assortment of fuses for car audio applications.

Douknowthewaytoebay
Unregistered guest
You can get all kinds of fuses on Ebay too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us