Is it ok to run 4 gauge to 1 amp and 8 gauge to another amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 97
is it ok to run 4 gauge to the distribution block then run 4 gauge to the sub amp and 8 gauge to the speaker amp? the only reason is because i dont have anymore 4 gauge to run to the speaker amp ill probly get some but would this work for now?

Silver Member
Username: Jonez788

Marshalltown, Iowa

Post Number: 178
Yeah, there shouldn't be any problems at all. I don't even know if you'd need 4 gauge to the speaker amp.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1203
Main thing you need to figure out, is if you're pulling more current than the first strand of 4 gauge can handle.

If you're using an amp that requires 4 gauge, and draws enough power to take that 4 gauge near it's limit, and another amp on top of that, you might risk causing the first strand of 4 gauge to burn if it's not properly fused.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2376
the amp tells you what is acceptable to run to it, if it has 4 guage terminals, you do not want to run 8 guage wire,, etc.... and, if you have 2 amps that draw alot oc current, then better to go to next wire up from the battery to the disto block.

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 100
i have 4 gauge from the battery to the distribution block. then 4 gauge to a 1600 watt hifonics, and 8 gauge to a 350 watt kicker for my regular speakers. Is that going to be ok

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2386
yes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us