Amp Blown or Subs?

Username: Delux

Post Number: 1
I recently had my amp (Power Acoustics Gothic Series 820w) hooked up to two Pioneer 600w max Subwoofers. I don't know if i had already gone wrong there and if those are even compatable, they were bridged down to 2 ohms on a 4 channel amp. But they worked, for about a month, didnt sound bad or anything. Then, yesterday, I realised the subs stopped hitting, so i checked it out and both the amp fuses were blown so i thought that was it. Replaced those and now whenever the speakers go to thump the amp goes into protection mode and i hear no sounds, except from the factory speakers. I unhooked my RCA's and just had the speakers hooked to the amp and i get nothing, but the amp is still powered up. It stays powered up until the bass kicks in then it goes into protection. I have no clue what would cause this, But somebody told me my speakers may be blown. Is there anyway i can find out what the problem is, instead of going out and just buying all new amp and speakers? Any help greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 2
Im sorry i meant the amp is two channels and i have the speakers bridged where both pos go to the right Pos input and both negs are connected and go to the left neg input

Bronze Member
Username: Robman0079

Post Number: 68
i wouldnt bridge it bc thoose subs can barely hold 150Wrms. hook it up to each channel... also make sure your gains arent set tooo high... also power acoustik amps are really unreliable so there could just be somethin wrong w your amp... and you could have blown your subs... but that doesnt explain your fuses blowing

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 216
haha i havnt heard 1 thing about ohms here......that could be the differnce of everything. Brandon what model are those subs? are they SVC or DVC 2 or 4ohm.. all the basic info, if they are both 4 or 2 ohm u cant just connect them both bridged, by going both positives to positive and both negatives to negative, your ohm load would be either 1 or 2 ohm on a 4ohm minimum ...that would explain it all... give me the model and ill tell you how to wire them... but connecting each to thier own channel should fix the problem to. Or you could just have a positive\negative wire backwards switching polarities...(maybe in the box to)

all i can think of... i never had a problem with a power acoustik cutting out, just not enough power for me.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2389
if those are the single 4 then you prob have messed amp up by bridging to a 2ohm load....

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 222
even if they are 2ohm he could have, he said they are both connected ++ to Positive and -- to Negative from what it sounds like is its bridged... so from what it sounds like either way he has to low of a load on the amp. To make it simple go + to + and - to - NOT BRIDGED from each speaker(each sub gets own channel) to make it easy, but if those are 2ohm then you can bridge it by doing + from one sub to the negative on the other sub, and the last 2 terminals left.....+ to + and - to -, bridged... it would be fine. like......

sorry i cant give u a pic..... wont let me upload anything bigger then "-1kb" haha there isnt anything that small - ? haha

Post Number: 3
I am not even worried about wiring it correctly now because i went ahead and hooked up the subs to another amp and they are both deffinatly blown. So i went out and got 1 new 12" rockford fosgate Punch 4ohms 400wat max. I hooked it up to the mono channel (the positive on the left and negative on the right) and since my box has seperate enclosures and my amp is only 820w it sounds better now than with both of the pioneers. The amp has been working fine witht the new speakers and ive had no problems yet. I do plan on getting another matching 12" rockford fosgate and a new amp. Any suggestions on which to get first and what kinda amp i should get to actually push them both?

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 225
if it sounds better it deffinetly sounds like you had ohms wrong in the first place, the 2 pioneers should hve been louder

Post Number: 4
The pioneers were a louder but the bass wasn't as clean as it is now with only 1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us