Is this a good amp for a Kicker 12 inch L7

Username: Tiggerboi87

Pensacola, FL United States

Post Number: 2
im just wandering if a Kenwood KAC-9152D amp would work good with the kicker L7 12inch sub. These are it specifications

Mono channel Power Amplifier with Dual Mono Drive Function
RMS Power: 500W x 1 @ 4 ohms
RMS Power: 900W x 1 @ 2 ohms
RMS Power: 900W x 1 at 1 ohms
RMS Power: 900W x 2 at 4 ohms (Dual Mono Drive)
Aluminium Die-casting Heat Sink
Detachable Aluminium Dress Plate & Top Panel Control
Dual Mono Drive (Bridged Connections of KAC-9152D x 2)
Gold Plated Input/Output Terminals
Single Side Exposure of Terminals for Multi Installation

its only about $189

If it isnt good or if there is is much better ones at around that price range let me know.

Bronze Member
Username: B_son

Post Number: 55
u could just get a audioburn A8000T and wire the sub into 20hms and let it rip plus tht amp is only like 120-150

Username: Lordvicadin

Post Number: 1
stay withthe kenwood . it beats the brakes off of audioban. better components, better engeinerring,better sound quality . just better overall its more then enuff for the subs you are running. audiobahn is a cherap brand where i am at(atlanta)
we laff at folk using that brand of stuff. its ok but the quality just aint there. or the folks that say " well it wins competitions" well anybrand can do that if uhave enuf of them .. go kenwood they have been around much longer then audiobahn has and know how tomake an amp the RIGHT way ..

Username: Lordvicadin

Post Number: 2
D-class Amplifier Circuit
(4 ohms) (20 Hz - 200Hz, 0.5% THD): 500W X 1 RMS
(4 ohms) (DIN45324, +B = 14.4V): 500W X 1 RMS
(2 ohms) (100 Hz, 0.9% THD): 900 W X 1 RMS
(1 ohm) (100 Hz, 1.0%): 900 W X 1 RMS
1ohm Load Capability
Dual Mono Drive (Two Amp Bridged Connection, 2-4ohms)
Single-side Exposure of Terminals for Multi-Installation
Detachable Aluminum Dress Plate & Top Panel Control
Wired Variable Bass Boost Remote (Off - 18dB, 40-100Hz)
Built-in Variable Low-pass Filter 50-200Hz (24dB/oct)
Built-in Infrasonic Filter 15Hz/25Hz (18dB/oct)
Speaker Level Input
Gold Plated RCA Line Input/Output Terminals
Power MOSFET
Power Supply Fuse : 30A x 2

and where did you get the 120-150 watt rating from?? thats the specs there.. just askin

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 593
I got this from Kenwood the other day..It was in regards to the X811D.. Same specs as that one, Almost And I asked about wiring a 750wrms sub to it. I like the part when he says it can catch fire.Lol

Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation.

Wired in parallel:
At one ohm, the woofer will be over powered by 300w and can catch fire.

Wired in series:
At 4 ohms, the woofer will only receive 400 watts RMS.

Post Number: 5
then what is a good amp for but is also not real expensive? All the ones that are listed above i counldnt find for the pricese that they said i could find them for.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1867
how the h3ll does the same amp produce 900wrms@1ohm and 900wrmsx2@4ohm am i missing something, and kenwood amps are overrated a lot, go with the audioburn.

Post Number: 7
Well thats what i saw on a website selling them and this is the specs on it from different website

1000W peak output @ 4 ohms, bridged
1700W peak output @ 2 ohms
1000W peak output @ 4 ohms
500W RMS (continuous), bridged
500W RMS (continuous) @ 4 ohms
850W RMS (continuous) @ 2 ohms

so i dont know wut the problem is with that.
and i really need to know this stuff.
if u cant tell im new straight out of high school and im on a budget so i need good info.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1870
ok first kenwood amps suck, they are overrated and just plain crap, second l7's have a high failure rate cause of the square design so don't be surprised if it blows, third give us a budget and im sure some1 on here can find a decent amp for that L7. ohh whats the vc config for the l7 you have, dvc2 or dvc4.

Post Number: 9
ok i want to spend about 200 but i will get what i need and if it cost more so be it. It comes in both so what ever amp and sub combination is best i guess

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1874
i'd look on ebay for a mtx1501d it does 1500wrms@2ohms, so i'd buy a dvc2ohm L7 wire it in series for a 4ohm load then if you ever want to get another l7 you have enough power. and plus those amps are cheap as h3ll.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok thanks. Are un well known brands safe to use or should i not mess with them even they they are real cheap.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1875
it depends, sony, dual, pyramid, bazooka, pyle, etc are crap don't ever buy there amps, kicker mtx, audioburn, make good amps at good prices. just ask questions on here im sure some1 will help.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 105
I want to give you some facts real quick, and I'm not trying to talk down to you or burst your bubble or anything, I just think you're getting a lot of conflicting information.

1) That L7 is a power hungry sub and to run properly needs to be powered correctly.

2) If you're planning on running it at 2Ohms, you should realize that you're going to end up putting a lot of strain on the electrical system in your car to feed the sub the 850+ Watts it's going to need.

3) Any amp that's going to perform well for an extended period of time and feed the sub at least 500W RMS (at 4Ohms) is almost certainly going to cost you more than $200 retail. Deals can be found on ebay no doubt, just be sure you know what your buying.

4) There are about as many differing opinions about amps as you can imagine. Everyone has had different experiences and has different preferences. Amps are the hardest thing to judge because for the average listener, there is no immediate evidence of superiority when it comes to the "sound" one amp is able to produce with a given sub vs. any other. Build quality, heat distribution and adjustability are some of the more tangible features of amps and can be just as, if not more important that the RMS wattage. One person's dealings with one amp from one company may be completely different than someone else's and negative or positive opinions are often based on a single good or bad experience. Your best bet is to ask around as much as possible. Friends, relatives, audio pros, whoever you can get to talk to you and really take your time in making the decision.

Here's my opinion: That's a pretty nice sub and could be run with great results if set up right and powered properly. However, it's not a sub that works well on a budget as the proper box and amp needed to get the most out of it are going to be pretty pricey. That being said, you could very well run it at 4Ohms (which you'd need the dual voice coil 2Ohm version for), giving it around 600W RMS and pound harder than probably anyone you know. The bottom line is that more Watts doesn't always mean more boom and if you have any interest in sound quality there's no need to push more than 600W unless you're planning on major upgrades to your head unit, speakers, speaker amps and vehicle's electrical system.

For the record, the amp that Dustin suggested would work well for you if you could find one. There are a few on ebay right now, not sure how legit or working any of them are though. Without trying to sound like I'm just selling items for a friend, I do have a buddy who's selling his Rockford 700s amp on ebay right now. I'm not a huge fan of the newer Rockford stuff, but old school Rockford amps like this are really nice. He just got a new truck so he's getting rid of his system and starting over. He was running an Alpine type R with it but it would push around 700W if you bridged the two channels. Here is the link if you're interested. It works great and I was going to buy it off of him but it's more amp than I need for my one type S.

Here is a chart that will show you how different subs can be wired to produce different Ohm loads so you can make your decision on which L7 to get based on how many Watts you're looking to feed it. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thank for the info Derek that really helped me.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1877
ya i'll agree pretty much everything derek said is right, but i have never seen a good install with an L7, i know a kid who has a 15 sealed and kx600.1 amp and replaced it twice cause it blew, and imo the sq sucks majorly, yes its loud but my 2 atlas's get just as loud and sound so so so much better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I see those ascendant audio make good subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I see does ascendant audio make good subs?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1580
yup. AA have some nice subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hmmm so would you take AA subs over a kicker? I also want to know about alphasonik subs. I know im in the amplifier forum so sorry but i dont want to start a new thread over there.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1583
AA and kicker is always in topics. people always want to know which is better. depends what models. the cvrs are better than the assassins IMO, but the havoc is better that the cvr, sooo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
ok wut do yall think about fusion products?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 107
And see, I thought you already had the L7 so I was trying to work with what you had. You can certainly put together a far more efficient and probably better sounding system for less money then you were going to end up spending trying to work that L7. Unfortunately though, I don't have any experiance with AA or Fusion. I know there are a LOT of AA fans on this board but I've never personally heard any of their equipment. I've never really been a fan of Kicker in general and I think all square subs are super ugly so I would probably go with any of the other brands over Kicker but I can't provide you with any first hand knowledge of how they sound or hold up over time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Ok so some poeple have told me to put atleast 1000 watts to the sub and then someone above told me that the woofer can catch on fire if i put all that power to it. So wut is worst overpowering it or underpowering it? And does 100 to 200 hundred watt of overpower or underpower make a big difference?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Naw i dont have a the L7 yet. I have a rockford P2 with some pioneer speakers and a kenwood receiver and its all powered by a sony 800 watt 4/3/2 channel amp that powers my whole system and i thought it wuz pretty good. Ive have it for about a year and now i want something much more powerful. I wuz gonna get the L7 until i came on here and saw everyone talkin about all these other subs. So now i dont know what i want to get. The thing is i have never heard of AA so i dont really know if i want to get it but ive only heard good things about it. Derek what would u suggest i get that will bang that is not to expensive but i also dont want a real cheap system if u know what i mean. alot of people on here also said sony and kenwood suck but the sony amp i have has worked real well and really like the kenwood reciever that i have. Note that it is the second one that i have had.

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 182
buy a type R they are really cheap off of onlinecarstereo.com and underpowering a sub does actually damage the sub cause its not geting clean power so overpowering the sub by just a little is the best way actually almost doubling the power is the best way then u can have the gain turned down and not so harmful on your amp dosnt have to work so hard and as long as u watch the gain u wont blow the sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Ok so the type r is a good sub? Thats an alpine right?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 109
Lawrence, give me a budget and your three favorite artists to listen to in your car right now and i'll put together some options for you.

TiggerBoi87, The Alpine Type R is a good sub, but again, it has to be set up and powered properly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
around i would like to spend around 500 but ill go to around 800. And i like to listen to anything with alot of bass. Young Jeezy, Pastor Troy, basically southern rap.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Im Lawrence by the way if u was wonderin who tiggerboi wuz

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 110
Alright Lawrence, I'll tell you this, I'm a big proponent in purchasing products you've seen or heard yourself so I'm not going to reccomend anything that I have no experience with (like AA equipment). From my experiance, one of the best subs out there right now is still the Alpine Type R. Alpine hasd always made reliable equipment across the board and their prices are decent.

To answer one of your earlier questions that's important here, underpower your sub is just as dangerous as overpowering it. If a sub is starved for power it'll burn itself out. As a rule, I like to stay in the area of 200W on each side of the RMS of the sub. Now granted, if you're carefull and don't crank up the sub and listen at full blast all the time, you could get away with a little more difference, but there's no need if you're buying new equipment.

Here's my suggestions:

Alpine Type R 12" (2ohm or 4ohm)
Alpine MPR-M650 Amp or Kenwood KAC-9102d Amp

-If you're going to run at 2ohm I'd go with the Alpine amp since that Kenwood would probably be too much for the sub, but if you're going to run at 4ohm the Kenwood might be the way to go and would leave to upgrade in the future if you wanted.

Don't get hung up on those prices though, everything can be had for cheaper than on Crutchfield.

You may also want to look at the Type S (which is what I run) and there's always the option of running more than one if you go with the cheaper type S.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Thanks for giving me the info ill probably try and get that set up but i was also looking at the pioneer premier subs. What do u think about those.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
For that sub would i have to make a custom box to have the right demensions and what not or is there a good place to buy premade boxes online?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 111
I used to run Pioneer subs and I didn't like them at all. You can see my old setup as well as what I'm running now on my cardomain which is here. The pioneer subs are on page 4, they were just too boomy for me. I go for sound quality over just SPL.

The only problem with ordering a box online is that you get killed with shipping most of the time. Boxes are pretty easy to make, especially if you're just doing a standard cube, but you can get a decent pre-fab sealed box at Bestbuy or Circuit City. Depending on what you're looking for in terms of sound you may want to look at ported boxes though, you'll get more boom, but loose a bit of sound quality. I like sealed boxes myself, but that's just me.

Alpine offers online owners manuals for their subs which will give you the optimum volume for different types of boxes, here is the manual for the Type R Subs, box dimensions are on page 4. You can also get preloaded enclosures from Alpine that are designed for the subs, but you'll pay a serious premium. This is what they look like, but you're better of getting a box seperately for the money. I got a box made by MTX at Circuit City for my Type S and some advice on that would be to buy it online and then go pick it up at the store, I saved $40 just by doing that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
thats good to know. I think im gonna go with that type R for now. but im still thinking but thanks for all the info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us