Why is my amp cutting out?

Username: I_likes_da_bass

Post Number: 1
I have a Pioneer PRSD3000SPL amplifier pushing 2 12" Pioneer TS-W3002SPL subs. I have the gain set at normal and all the other settings turned completely down and it hits very well, unless there is a really low bass note and then the amp cuts out and makes a weird grinding sound through the subs. I have watched the amp while it does this and the power light goes off when this happens and comes back on when it tries to push the note again. If the note is sustained, it will go off and on repeatedly until the note stops or raises in pitch then will go on bumping like always. Is this a problem with the amp drawing to much juice from my battery and if so, whats the best way to stop this? I would really like to be able to turn the settings on the amp up so it will push the subs like they should be, but at this time that is impossible. I have heard arguments on capacitors vs upgraded alternators and don't know if I need one or both to solve this problem. I don't know if it matters, but my car is an '02 Chevy Cavalier LS. Someone please guide me in the right direction as this is extremely frustrating. Thanks for all your help.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2255
check the ohm load on the amp s/b no lower then 2ohms...

Post Number: 3
The amp is a 2 ohm and the subs operate in either 1 or 4 ohms. Pioneer had me wire them up to where it is pulling a 2 ohm load.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2297
then it seems like a power proble, an upgrade alt or something like a kinetik Battery....

Post Number: 5
Cool. I'll have to investigate the kinetik battery. I've never heard of it. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 88
From what i seen in your few forums i think u need more power, i had alot of the dumbest problems you wouldnt even think weould be related to power, but it was. My kenwood kdc-mp528 would skip whenever my subs would hit a low note, once i got more power it fixed that. I thought it was because my sound hit so hard but once i got the upgrade it hit 2 times harder and sounded cleaner with no light flickers... Also look into Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery they are nice for things like this.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 89
haha my bad wrong person haha/ too stoned >.< but that sounded like a problem i would have with my earthquake phd10000w\2 ran at 1ohm, i was pushing a good 3000-4000watts rms and attempted to run that before upgrading and it was nothing but problems...Overheating....cutting out.....distorting at higher power, still less then max rms.... ect.

Bronze Member

Bentonville, AR USA

Post Number: 15
Daaaaaaamn. Thanks for the info...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us