HO low at idle what to do?

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 215
how can I stiffen the voltage lines at idle? my car idles at around 600-700 rpm, and the lights dim when at idle but i guess t around 800 rpm the alt turn out full output. Will an optima Yellow Top help this or will I need 2 batteries? (I hope I won't need 2 batteries.)

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 870
a smaller dia. pulley on the alt

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
thanks! but how much smaller? i saw the pulley was the same size as the stock..

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2325
better make sure you won't mess up the alt with a smaller pully when you hit higher rpms. might wanna contact the manufacturer before changing the pully.

or you can have a HO Alt built that puts out more amperage at idle. mine puts out 110 at idls and 200 at higher rpms.

adding a second optima will just strain it more i'd think.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1147
You could also raise your idle rpm to 800. This will have an effect on your gas mileage, but be much safer for your alternator.

Brandon - I'm guessing he already has a HO alternator, since he said the pulley was the same size as the
stock one.. :-)

Matt - an optima yellow top wont help this, unfortunately. Your alternator is probably around 14.4 volts output, and when your alternator is at idle, the voltage the lights see drops to about 12.6. Normally, as soon as your alternator goes idle (assuming your battery/ies are at 100%) they have around a 13.6 volt charge in most cases, however, this is just a surface charge, so to speak, and will be used up almost instantly with any real form of current draw - then drops to the voltage of the battery you have installed.

So yeah - you either need to get a smaller pulley (and verify it's safe to use), raise your cars RPM idle, get an alternator with a lower RPM kick-on, or simply give your engine a little gas to push the rpm to 800 while you wait.

Oh - by the way - even without a high demand on your electrical system, this will happen.

Do this - park your car infront of a wall at night so your headlights are shining on the wall. Now, let your alt drop to idle, it should slowly grow slightly dimmer. Then give it a little gas, and it'll recharge. Adding a second battery, would only slightly increase the overall time it took for the headlights to use the surface charge on your batteries, and drop back down to the 12.6 volts.

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 461
Big 3

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
seth, i did the wall test; that's how i found out! I also raised the idle but decided against it after a while. i just contacted Nathan about it. hopefully it will be alright. what do u guys think???? question: are ho alts generally lower at idle than stock alts? thanks for all the help!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1153
A lot of HO alternators wont even kick on until 900+ RPM. :-) So be careful thinking that'll solve your 'idle' problem.

Curious, why does it bother you so much that your lights dim only when you're idling? Your electronics should still all work fine at 12volts, and as long as it dosnt start dropping below 12.6 volts you should be fine. :-)

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3138
simple fix...

Matt, run a NEG ground wire, from front batt, to the back distribution block... or back battery, tie the negatives together... whalla.... NO DIMMIN...

thats saying that you already have a HO alt, and BIG 3 upgrage...

my2cents....

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
thanks B so u guys wouldnt worry about clipping my subs or components if i get a lil dimming?

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
bump

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3149
NO, worry about it; if its dims, and dont come back bright.... then you have a problem...

slow regulator will not really clip your amp as you think!

wire like I say, and it should help dramatically... do u have any deepcycle batts? a yellow top will take care of that also but not needed..

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
B...so far all i got is the stock nissan battery. a 200A alt. please explain to me the NEG wiring plan again in detail; i'm not very bright. What do u mean by the distrobution block? I am getting an Optima soon I hope.

Bronze Member
Username: Rykie

Post Number: 21
guys sorry for this dumb question but whats a BIG 3? and whats an optima yellow top? thinking about changing my ho soon so i need a little help =)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1169
Big threee are..

1. Neg battery to Chassis
2. Engine to chassis
3. Alternator to + bat.

An optima yellow top is a popular type of deep cycle battery. www.optimabatteries.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
o yea, also done the BIG 3 with 0ga..knokonceptz wire is da bomb.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us