Kicker zx1000.1 help amp turns off

Username: Th3di3s3l28

Post Number: 1
ive got a zx1000.1 powering 2 12" cvx's, third system ive had wired it all myself. worked fine, then i loodke into getting a cap so i wouldnt drain my batt. Picked up a 1.5 farad cap from i belie nitro? anyways, charged it hooked it up, and then as i was messing with the bass gains with my volume at 20 (of 30), the amp turns itself off, the only way i can bump now is by turning the sub volume down to like -3 (-6 to 6) it still hits, but not like it should be. I think the cap may be overpowering the subs. but not sure. any ideas?

Post Number: 4
sorry double post, the only things i can think of is that the ground may be over the recommended 18" , but does that really affect it? The other thing is i cant hear the fan running on the amp. its a brand new 2006 model. When its not cutting out, the sub gets pretty hot after awhile. could it be a cooling problem maybe?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2235
i bet you have it bridged to 1 ohm?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 357
as far as i know, the new zx amps dont have fans, they have a new aluminum heatsink on both sides instead. this is one reason i bought them, cuz i hate the fans on my kx amps, their loud as hell. yes, your ground length can effect it if it is too small and/or too long. and finally, caps dont solve electrical problems, they can only hide them at best.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 358
and caps cant "overpower" subs. that makes no sense

Post Number: 5
alright thanks. Yeah that makes sense with the fan and everything. yeah, im running 8 gauge for power and ground. I didnt really know much about caps before i got one, but after reading around a little here, I don't need one. I think im just gonna rerun ground and power with 1/0 gauge wire, take off the cap, and It should be good. Thanks for the help guys.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4055
also upgrading the big 3 with 0 gauge cable will help too. that is if you haven't dont that already.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2242
no, it is not all, you need to check the ohm load on the amp, unless the subs are dual 2 they do not match up to that amp, it is only 2ohm stable.....

Post Number: 6
alright i fixed it. just took off the cap, gonna sell it to someone i suppose. Upgraded to 4 gauge wire, i was goin cheap and was using 8 gauge. makes a hell of a difference. Thanks everyone

Gold Member

Post Number: 2260
you never answered what ohm load you have that amp at if you have dual 4ohm subs you either have to low of ohm load or not enough.

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 176
caps do help your amp not the electrical system but they do help the amp get the direct power it needs you just gota have a big electrical system in order to keep up with the cap is all

Post Number: 10
sorry ty, i guess i overlooked your post. The cvx's I have are 2 ohm, at 4 ohms the amp is pushing 500 watts to each sub. but the actual total output power for the amp is 1192.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2298
if those are the dual 2, then it should be wired series/paralel, giving you a 2 ohm load at the amp. make sure it is 2ohms, use multimeter to verify, if so it could be a power problem, need upgrade alternator, or something like a Kinetik battery near the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
yeah. ive got it in series wiring. i fixed it all. just upgraded the wires. its fine now. thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us