AMP AND SUB LOAD PROBLEMS, YEA IMMA NOOB AT THIS

Username: Oaktowncrazyd

East Oakland, CA

Post Number: 4
first off im a noob at this, and im learning as i go, i have a RF 1000 amp and a jl 13w7, and i wired the sub in parallel which puts it at .75 ohms, and hooked it up to the amp and i turn the bass up, the amp goes into portection mode, so im now figuring out that this amp isnt for this speaker b/c i want to push to the max not just under power it. i keep seeing this 2 ohm load minimum, i thought it was rated for 1000w x 1 x 1ohm? i looked on the jl website and the closet thing to meeting the minimum "2 ohm load" is wiring the sub in series, and get a 3 ohm load, is that my best option? wat do u guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1090
Bad amp, overall, for your subwoofer. The RF I'm guessing by the way you're describing it (since you dont list the model number) is probably a mono amp that puts out 1000 watts at 2 ohms. By running it at .75 ohms, you're drastically under the minimum ohm load for this amp. A .75 ohm load will shut a lot of amps down even that are 1 ohm stable.

Your best bet, would be to either ditch the amp, or get another one, and hope that it'll work with your gains turned down, into a 1.5 ohm load, and run an amp to each VC.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2152
wire it to 3ohms and see if it still does it...

East Oakland, CA

Post Number: 5
oh im sorry it is a t10001bd mono amp
4 ohm load per channel 500watts x 1
2 ohm load per channel 750watts x 1
1 ohm load per channel 1000watts x 1

then the birth sheet says
669 rms watts per channel @ 4 ohms <1%>80 dBA (referance 1 watt into 4 ohms)

1044 total rms watts @ 2 ohms <1% THD+n all channels combined

and last 1452 total rms watts @ 1 ohm <1% THD

can sum1 tell me wat the heck <1% THD means?

and yea my gains is really low, im talking bout barely up around 1/8 of the way and i can turn it up reeeeally loud and have really good bass, but i kno its waay more capable than that. next im gonna be trying out wiring the speaker in series 3 ohm im ppretty sure it will work but not close to its full potential man this blows..............but yea keep the help coming guys

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 997
<1% THD means that at that ohm load the amp will have less than 1% Total Harmonic Distortion. It's not really what your problem is at this point. You are still running the amp at too low of a load and it can't handle it, hence the reason it is going into protection. Do what ty said and wire it to 3 ohms. You will be getting roughly 700~800 watts at 3 ohms from your amp. It definately won't be pushing that sub to it's full potential, but at least the amp will work.

That is what I have always found frustrating about the W7 series from JL. They make weird ohm loads so you are pretty much forced to buy their amps to power it, becuase of the fully regulated design that puts out the same ammount of power from 1.5 to 4 ohms. I guess it really is ingenious, those tricky bastards! lol.

East Oakland, CA

Post Number: 7
yea last night after work, i wired the jl w7 in series to 3 ohms and it doesnt go into protection mode anymore and now it pounds like crazy ,i could actually turn my bass knob all the way up, and also my gain higher now. i already had a tiny crack on my windshield now it expanded to a 1 foot crack! hahah damn, now i need a new winshield b4 it gets worse or roll my windows allll the way down, anyways im not gonna b fully happy yet until i eventually buy the jl 1000/1 amp and push the speaker all the way and get my HO alternator which excessive amperage is workin on right now, but thanx for ur help guys

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1093
You could get a phoenix gold 1200.1 Xenon if you can find anyplace that has them in stock.. :-) They're cheaper than the JL 1000/1, and put out 200 watts more RMS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us