Will a capacitor hurt a stock alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 32
im thinkin bout gettin a 3 farad capacitor. would it hurt a stock alt?

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 110
It would probably cover the signs of ware on the alternator, so it would be dieing but your lights would not dim... how much are you running (watts or amps)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
1 directed 1100d (1100 rms) and a kicker zx350.4 (400 rms)

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 115
ya most people say if your over 800-1000 watts you need an alternator upgrade. get a 200 amp alternator or bigger.

check this out

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/230665.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
would a capacitor be good for my alternator or would it hurt it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
i cant get a new alternator right now because i just bought 18" rims, tires and got a paint job and my windows tinted

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7332
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 858
it's not going to benefit your alt, but it won't hurt it. Benefit for your amp would be minimal at best. No audible improvement.

I think it would be a much better option to save the money you're thinking of spending on a cap and put it toward an alt upgrade.

with that amount of power on an average size stock alt I'd just recommend you use a little common sense. Mainly - make sure after "spirited" listening you turn it down for a few minutes before turning the car off to make sure you leave a good charge on your battery.

Make sure the amps' wiring is done well, and prepare for a possible alt upgrade sometime in the future.

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 634
i want to see ur car...post a pic rick ross

Username: Maddcbl

Middlesex County, New Jersey US

Post Number: 1
to answer the question--no it wont hurt at all .the way i look at it is this. its common sense but one detail is often overlooked when upgrading a vehicles electrical system.

a cap acts as a battery, but the main difference is its ability to discharge power faster. you can keep the stock alt. but you must upgrade the wire running from your alt. to the battery to the same gauge wire that you use to run your cap and amplifiers. if not then your alts. ability to properly supply the power needed to your system lacks in that said ability.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
to be honest with you i was joking about getting 18' rims, tires, paint job and windows tinted my car really looks like crap but ima get a pic of my system anyway and try to put it on here

Username: Maddcbl

Middlesex County, New Jersey US

Post Number: 3
man screw the paint job and rims!!!!
buy a plymouth reliant,paint it with primer and throw 2 15s in it!!!
\/\/its all about the bass\/\/

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us