800WRMS on stock alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Dub_c

Post Number: 65
I am thinking of getting the new cvx and running it at 2 ohms and my amp will give me 800WRMS. That will KILL my stock alt right??? I think the stock alt put out between 110-120 amps. WHAT IF I dont set the gain to 4V(my preouts are rated 4V) What if I set the gain low, will that help?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 970
I have heard people say that they have hooked up 1000 wrms or more to their stock alt and they were fine. I would personally never hook up probably more then 700 wmrs. Just becuase of what COULD happen. But impatience gets the best of most people, and they want to just hook it up now! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 16
i have an 1100 rms amp and a 400 rms amp on my stock alt and nothing happened

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 102
it would kill your alternator.. correct

rain.. rear defrost windshield wipers lights

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 230
If the preouts are rated 4V, that does not mean that HU gives 4V RMS. If you actually measured it, it would show about 2V and sometimes it would only peak at 4V:-)
Yes, the low gain will help, if it's set below the HU&amp match point. The amp then will not give it's rated power and it will draw less current than it can.
800W RMS is not too bad on stock alt, however, your alt is pretty small (110-120)

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 972
Rick Ross, that is a lot of power on a stock alt dude. I see a burned out alternator in your future.

Silver Member
Username: Gage

Post Number: 298
they are probably boss amps or something lol

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 652
you can put 800w rms, the difference will be in durability when your car is off, that's what you're going to notice

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 18
gage ware i know your not talkin about mine one is directed and the other is kicker

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
I think there will be some light dimming with 800WRMS.

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 103
itll burn up some batteries before the alt goes

that is if the alt is in good condition before the system

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 857
there are very few stock electrical systems that should have any problem at all powering an 800w rms system.

Silver Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 147
How many people have had somthing FRY or EXPLODE because of hookin up 1000-1500 watts on a stock alt? Never heard one case. Maybe on really old cars, but on the newer ones? like 1995+? i doubt any big issusys

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Yea but sometimes I listen to the system when the truck is off, I listen for about 20 min, with 800WRMS it will be like 3 min.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 990
Jeffrey, read this, straight from glass wolfs site:

"Everything works perfectly so long as the power requirements of the vehicle do not exceed the capabilities of the alternator. If the peak output is surpassed due to excessive load, then power will be pulled from the battery. If the alternator and battery combined cannot meet the demand, then the vehicle's voltage rails, and subsequently the electrical devices are diminished (dimming lights, spark plug misfires, audio distortion and amplifier clipping, or even the car stalling.)"

Yes, it can happen, beileve it.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 859
I've had one alt fail. It was 75A, in a car with fairly demanding stock electronics.

I started customizing the sound system when it had about 150k on it. Originally with just a few hundred watts. By about 180k I had 1000w rms in it, and eventually upgraded to about 1200w. Finally at 226k the alt died. No "frying", no "exploding". I just noticed my voltage not recovering one day - and the next day there wasn't enough battery to turn the engine over.

Replaced that 75 amp alt with a USED 110A and it's run fine ever since. Coming up on 265k. Never seen my voltage below 13v.

Still on the same battery, too. Should be about 7 yrs old by now. My only wiring mod is an 8 ga about 18" from the alt output to the battery (+).

Username: Fishentrails

Post Number: 4
Im running 800 watts rms on my stock honda accord alt that only puts out 80 amps. I reccommend you get a capacitor and an extra car battery and you should be fine. You shouldn't listen to your system with the engine off. When I do I turn of my subs so it doesnt take so much juice. Go ahead and do your install.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Something is wrong with my alt or something. Last night I really noticed the lights dimming, took a closer look and they were dimming pretty good, and the dash lights were dimming too. Either Grillz takes alot of power, or the alt is failing.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3050

quote:

I reccommend you get a capacitor and an extra car battery and you should be fine

Caps aren't for when your alt can't provide enough power. They're there when the alt can provide enough power, they just give you slightly better sound is all.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 1000
Grillz has some deep hitting bass. I will take a lot fo power if you got the volume up there. I love pounding to that song!

WOOOOHOOOOO!

GOING GOLD BABY! :P

Bronze Member
Username: Exman494

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 42
So im gettin like a 07 or 06 ford ranger and im gona put a kicker zx1000 amp (1000rms)(2000peak) and hook the amp up to a kicker l7 15"...
Would i need a HO altanator?
Thanks
Joe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us