Question about ohms and all that jazz

Username: Scubaprashant

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
Ok so here's the situation.. I bought two 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs -> SVC 4OHMS Each

I have a 2-channel PPI 2360 AMP and according to the manual, here are the wiring options:

-> 90 x 2 @ 4ohms
-> 180 x 2 @ 2ohms
-> 360 x 1 @ 4ohms [MONO BRIDGED]

According to crutchfield's wiring diagrams, (2) SVC 4ohm subwoofers can be wired @ a 2ohm load or 8 ohm load.

Since my AMP's manual says 180 x 2 @ 2ohms, does that mean that I can comply with the 2ohm parallel wiring? How should I wire both the subs and the amp?

Thank you all in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1381
just follow the diagram:
yes, you can just wire it to 2 ohm and you will be gettin 180 on each channel.

Upload

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1382
wuts the rms on each sub? just hook a sub to each channel of the amplifier

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1053
Your problem here, is, you'll only be getting 180 to both subs, so each would only be getting 90 watts. If you wire them parallel, that is.

You cannot bridge the amp, for the full 360 RMS, into a two ohm load.. Your amp and sub combo are not a very good match at all. Dual 4 ohms are hard to work with, but you can find some amps that are actually made to put out full power at two ohms (mono amps).

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1386
^^ cant he just hook a sub to each channel seth?? i dont know how to show him how to wire that though

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 578
WOULD THIS WORK???
Upload

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1389
its hard to tell. but r u hookin the sub up to each channel? because thats what he will ne to do if he was to stay wit this amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1054
No, Driving, it would not work at all. That's not bridging it. Bridging the amplifier, would be when you hook up only one pos, and one neg (normally shown on your amp near the hookup for speaker wire, which one to plug in, or at least in the manual, if it's bridgeable)

Do NOT hook up your amp like that, you could damage it.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1395
do u have a diagram seth that will show this guy how to hook up to each channel?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1055
If you look where you plug your speaker wire in on your amplifier, it should look something like this.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 585
who sed i wuz bridging i wuz trying to get 2 ohm loads per channel not bridgeing...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1056
Upload
Upload
Upload

The last one is the one I would recomend, since if you're running your subs in stereo mode, they're each only going to be getting half of the signal (left and right channel going to each sub.) Whereas in the final picture, you're bridging your amp into a mono channel, that combines both left and right into one signal, and is still splitting the power evenly. Also, at 8 ohms, your amplifier will have more control than it would over a 2 ohm load, as well as run cooler. (in most cases).

With your current setup, there is no way to get the full 360 watts RMS from the amplifier safely.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
Upload
Upload
Upload

The last one is the one I would recomend, since if you're running your subs in stereo mode, they're each only going to be getting half of the signal (left and right channel going to each sub.) Whereas in the final picture, you're bridging your amp into a mono channel, that combines both left and right into one signal, and is still splitting the power evenly. Also, at 8 ohms, your amplifier will have more control than it would over a 2 ohm load, as well as run cooler. (in most cases).

With your current setup, there is no way to get the full 360 watts RMS from the amplifier safely.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1059
This is what your diagram had pictured...

Upload

Do NOT do that! This could damage your amplifier, or subs, or both.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1396
how do u know how many watts the amp would put out that much power at 8 ohm when it doesnt say?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1397
wut load will be on ach channel to give eahc sub approx 180 watts??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1060
Bassman, that's why I said roughly. At 4 ohms, if it puts out 360 watts, it should put out about 180 watts with twice the resistance. (Similar to how at 2 ohms, it's 180 x 2, but at 4 ohms, it's 90 x 2.)

And he cant give each sub 180 watts with his current setup. His amplifier and sub combo dont mix so well. If he had a pair of 2 ohm subwoofers, he could wire them together to make a 4 ohm load, and then bridge the amp for 360 watts @ 4 ohms, and each one would get the 180 watts then. But with dual 4 ohms, and a 2 channel amp, it's not gonna happen.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1398
i get it. i just didnt get that first sentence. alright

Username: Scubaprashant

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
hey guys, thanks for all the help :-) I decided to cancel out on those subs and go with 1 JL 10W3V2 DVC @ 4ohms so I can keep the PPI amp :-) You guys rule!

-prashant

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1399
u needed a DVC 2 ohm sub though so u could wire to 4 ohms.

Username: Kjacko

Post Number: 1
hi all, could anybody give me some info,i have an power v 1600 watt xht-268 amplifier,its all wired up but all i get is the dreaded red protection light and nowt else,ive tried 3 other amps on the same wireing and they work perfect,thanks

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1409
creat ur own thread^^^

and post a link of the sub and the amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Prashant Patel, dont do that!! Getting a DVC 4 ohm sub, is like having a pair of 4 ohm subs! :-) Get a dual voice coil 2 OHM version, so you can wire it to 4 ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us