Good amp for 2 JL 8w7's

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 306
Hello all got a quick question,

I have a Soundstream Rubicon 500-1 that I got on eBay not a bad deal, and have tested it and it at least works. I don't know if this is the old school Soundstream or not, but it is blue in color.

Ordered two JL 8w7 and will run them parallel which should give the amp a 1.5 ohm load (the amp is one ohm stable) for 500 watts x1 so I guess the math says the subs should be getting somewhat close to their RMS rating of 300.

But I hesitate because this is such a little amp....in size anyhow. If this does not work out can anyone recommend a good amp for this setup?

I don't want to go crazy and look at stuff over 400 bucks or so but maybe give me some ideas. I don't know if it is a good idea to overpower vs. underpower these JL's they are my first ones by them.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 204
Soundstream is kind of crap.
You should get at least 600Wx1.
Check these amps:
DLS
ARC Audio
MBQ
Phoenix gold
JL
Alpine

and others

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2262
i'd run 400-500 to each. got two friends who have 2 8W7's with 500 watts a piece, very impressive subs. both said they started with them at 250 watts a piece, bumped it up and it sounds so much better.

with the amp you choose, just remember you will be giving it a 1.5 ohm load. so you need a 1 ohm stable amp, but wont quite get the full 1 ohm rating from it. Phoenix Gold Xeonon and JL's Slash series have the same output at any impedance.

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 152
LOL thanks for the laugh Maris, you just said soundstream is kind of crap, Have you ever heard any of there products in real life or are you just saying that because its a brand you arnt to familiar with.
I heard two XXX 15"s ran off there XXX amps and all I have to say is its amazing I think they hit like a 169db on the TL. I know theres a vid of a van similar to it on ROE and it would blow any of the other brands you listed out of the water.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3819
Old school soundstream are some of the best amps of all time. There entry level amps nowadays are kind crap but there higher level amps are impressive. Definetly some of the best.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 307
Thanks for all the replies so far; I guess first thing for me to do is just hook it up to the SS and see how it sounds, and I have heard the same thing, the old school SS amps are great but the newer ones are iffy.

I don't know if mine is old school or not, probably not, but if anyone knows here are a couple of pictures......

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 308
Anybody know if this amp is considered "old school" or one of Soundstream's cheaper ones?

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 227
Matt,
If 169db is all you are looking for, then I feel sorry for you:-)
There is so much more to sound than SPL:-)

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 967
Maris, they hit 169, but if you know anything about XXXs they are SQL drivers and definately have SUPERB sound quality. So they got really loud but I am sure they sounded great doing it.

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 228
:-) sounded great doing it:-)
Yeah, I am sure you would really enjoy 169db pounding in your ear:-)
BTW, we were talking about amps:-)

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2272
once you get in the 140s+, nothing sounds "good"

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 310
OK one last time, (and I am still going to try this rig out and see what it sounds like but I really would like a second or third opinion as to the quality of my amp)

I got this thing on eBay for 115 plus shipping, so I don't have a lot invested as far as a sub amp goes, however I really don't know if this is one of Soundstream's decent amps or not.

Can anyone tell me? I have the pics posted and as you can see it is in decent shape. If this is one of their cruddy amps then I can assume by moving up to an Arc, JL or whatever than my sound will improve but if this is halfway decent it is paid for and I will keep it. Old school, new, bad or good, anyone with any experience or knowledge on this amp??

Thanks again
Mike

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 312
bump? For gods sake somebody but me must have bought this amp?!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us