Bat tery keeps dying.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 337
Latly my battery keeps dying, I put a new battery in it, it will be fine for a day or so, but in the morning the thing is dead. Completly dead. Ive check to make sure nothing is on like lights or something, but nothing is on. any ideas? My alt is being replaced this week because I noticed a crack in the housing. Could a faulty alt cause a battery to drain. When i use a charger to start the car it starts and runs ok, but if i let it sit for 10-12 hours the battery will be dead. Also if there was a short some where wouldnt it trip a fuse or cause a fire instead of killing the battery? Lastly, I have not been runing any amps or subs during this battery failure thing so I am pretty sure that is not causeing it.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3483

quote:

Could a faulty alt cause a battery to drain.

yes.:-)

more than likely, that is your problem.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 341
thanks for replay

Bronze Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 94
ya... its never actually charging your battery...

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2090
make sure there is no power on the remote wire with car off.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 343
Well, My sub amp is warm. Toggle switch on the remote has been off for like two weeks now. (Waiting for my sub back from kicker) The amp powers on with it ok and appears to go off ok IE the display shuts off and the power light goes off. Yet when i felt it it was warm like it had been running. Well i disconnected the ground off it and will see if that works. BTW I just got this amp back from the repair shop as well. I think they must have jumped out something on the power supply maybe. Gonna open it up tomorrow and take a look. What a pain in the askes..If it not one thing its another.

Silver Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 193
Start your engine (wait about 3 minutes), then use a voltmeter or multimeter to measure the charge your battery is getting, at idle with the engine on, it should not be less than 12.5 (if so, the charge is minimal and will not last enough).

Comprende?

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 345
Diagnoses, Bad amp.. Battery is fine, Alt is fine. The amp consumes 10 volts even with the rem removed. It appears to be off, Display unlit, Power lights off, but it using juice for something. No sub wired in either. Back to the repair shop.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 71
That sucks....atleast im not the only guy here with the awful luck.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 352
So to recap, Amp is in shop. 3rd time since January.
Waiting on replacement L7 from kicker. 3rd one since January.
2nd new battery since January.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 353
Oh yea, I still need to replace/repair Alt. due to the housing has a nice crack in it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us