Protection light

Username: Powersm2006

Post Number: 1
A while ago I bought a package over ebay that included 2 12" sony x-plods and a f2800 sounstorm amp. This morning I bridged the connection on my amp and when i turned it on my ground wire started to smoke and then the protection light on my amp came on. I was wondering if it is just a bad ground or what I should do about this problem. is there an alternative thicker wire I should use to ground my system or is there a problem with my amp?

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 336
what size wire r u using?

Post Number: 2
Im not positive but it is relatively small black wire and it came with an amp wiring kit. here is a link to the whole package I bought off ebay if you want to check out the specs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-SONY-XS-L122P5-12-SUBS-F2800-AMP-SUB-BOX-NEW_W0QQitemZ9722 391565QQcategoryZ48613QQcmdZViewItem

"FREE AMP KIT (800W) FOR INSTALLING YOUR AMP"

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 339
Try replacing the ground with the same size as the power wire.. Is it still smokes check for shorts. make sure you have a fuse near your battery.

Post Number: 3
Ok so I took out the 800w ground wire and replaced it with extra wire I had connected from my battery, but i noticed that it had melted to the battery wire but it is still intact. Now when I turn on my car it sounds like the system is going to turn on and then automatically the protection light turns on. I checked the fuses and they are fine so I cannot figure out what the problem is.. any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2094
YOU WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO BRIDGE THAT AMP WITH THOSE SUBS, THEY ARE SINGLE 4OHM, I HOPE YOU DID NOT FRY THE POWER SUPPLY, THOSE AMPS BLOW THEM EASY....

Post Number: 4
would this mean I would have to buy a new amp? if so do you know of an afforable amp that I could use the same subs for? or what else I could do?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2099
if you wnat you need to look for an amp that is 2ohm stable, what is your budget on a new amp?

Post Number: 5
somewhere between 100 and 150 most likely

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 102
PPI or PG on Ebay

Post Number: 6
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-X400-1-CLASS-D-MONO-AMPLIFIER-PG-XENON-AMP_W0QQ itemZ9727976879QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotoho sting

would that be a good deal for that amp and would it be able to be bridged with my subs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us