Is it wrong to lustr over a Amp Instal kit?

Bronze Member
Username: Mythy225719

Post Number: 66
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3935.html#

I am about to redo my power setup since my trunk lights dim when the bass hits... my head lights are stil fine tho... That set looks great! I'll use a JL grounding lug as well in both the engine bay and trunk... Toped off with repl;aceing the power wires from the bat to the frame... I'll do the big 3 later if my lights stil dimm... and I'm gona use battery terminal blocks instead of the O rings... lol

But what do you think about that kit? I can get it for $100/../

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1177
dont like it. for an amp kit get:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL-AK0

better made and great price.

your headlights dim only because of ur alternator

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7118
"better made and great price"

^^^Nope, kicker has the best wire, period....

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1183
i havent heard of that chauncey?? knukonceptz, i think have better wire for better price. IMO

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1184
oh, i didnt see that u are lookin for a dual amp install kit... my bad

Bronze Member
Username: Mythy225719

Post Number: 67
well... Since I got 2 respected members atention I will unload a few questions onto you!

I actualy have redone my power setup TWICE! And spent over $200 doing it.. So I want this to be the last and final time I waste money on it...

What should I use to bring power to a JL 450/4 and JL 500/1 amps?

Why arnt the JL SLASH series amps Fused?!?!

Should I fues them seperate from the main fuse?

And finaly, my most important question! Since the slash series amps can make there wattage from any respectable voltage should I even be concernd about upgradeing to 0 gauge? I got 4 ran now... (unfused, crap ground, 4 guge from battery to frame, coroded bat. terminals...) For me to fix all this it wont be cheap... Would all this be worth it to redo?

Thanks for your time! And more importantly your advice!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 925
Check out www.bcae1.com Section 16 (wires). According to their chart, you can use 4 guage wire up to 1084 watts using a class A/B amp at 131 amps.

Wire Gauge Current Flow Max Total Amp Power
Class AB (60% eff) Max Total Amp Power
Class D (75% eff)
0 awg 330 amps 2731 watts 3414 watts
1 awg 262 amps 2168 watts 2710 watts
2 awg 208 amps 1720 watts 2151 watts
3 awg 165 amps 1365 watts 1707 watts
4 awg 131 amps 1084 watts 1355 watts

The higher wattage numbers on the right are for class D amplifiers.

I do not know what you are running, but I am guessing that you are running the 500/1 for the sub (probably at full power), and the 450/4 you are running your components (probably using stereo 4 channel mode).

The 500/1 will consume 500 watts.

The 450/4 will consume 150 W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm -- 4 ohm (11 -- 14.5V) for channels 1&2.
For channels 3&4 you will consume 75 W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm -- 4 ohm (11 -- 14.5V).

So the 450/4 will probably consume 450 watts going 4 channel in stereo mode.

500 + 450 = 950 watts. Running 4 gauge wire will be absolutely ok.

Your JL amps will each accept up to 4 guage wire anyways. Your only concern would be that if the combined total wattage consumption would be greater than the table or electrical law would allow you.

"Why arnt the JL SLASH series amps Fused?!?!
"

I dont know, never had one. They are probably fused inside the cover. Some high end amps will have a fuse inside.

"Should I fues them seperate from the main fuse?"

Always run separate fuses. If I use multiple amps and a disto block I would put a fuse between the disto block and the batery, and one fuse between each amp and the disto block.

FUSES are cheap insurance.

DO IT !!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 926
The 500/1 is a class D amp, so running 4 guage wire to it would be less stressful on the wires anyways.

The 450/4 is a class A/B so it would also be ok, because the combined total of both amps is still less than the maximum allowed even if they were both class A/B.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us