Why remove the serial numbers from a amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Mythy225719

Post Number: 62
I have recived a JL 500/1 today from a ebay seller.. It is in MINT condition... but both the external and internal serials have been removed... It has been mounted/used before from what I can tell... It does work fine as well...

So why remove my Fing serial numbers?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7097
It might be stolen

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
or?

I'd hate to think I bought a stolen amp...

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 593
could be counterfeit to, but more than likely it's stolen. just hope you don't ever have to return it to jl for repairs, if so your screwed!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
ok, how can I tell whos it was since the serials are gone? Iwant to know if its stolen, and if it is I want to return it... Is there a 3rd serial on the other side of the PCB? It would be very anoying to rip the amp apart to get there so I am thinking it be a good place to stash a serial... Either wa yI want to find out. Because this dont feal right to me...

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 594
try calling jl and tell them about the amp and see if they can help you out with that^

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
oh, and I recived it in original box W/manual... ?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2073
that is done so the amp can not be traced if it is being sold on the internet.usually by an authorized dealer, not wanting to get caught by JL

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 193
counterfiet? does that happen often?

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 144
I would just about gaurentee it was stolen. Did you get it cheap? After everything was stonen out of my car, all the numbers were taken off. If the numbers are off good luck getting it back. Also, you lose your money if you return it....

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2174
what TY said ^

they aren't stolen, the ebay stores just aren't suppose to have them and their suppliers aren't suppose to be supplying online stores. its a way to protect the suppliers.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 486
Which eBay seller/store sold you this amp? Alot of them remove the serial numbers for the reason mentioned above.

Bronze Member
Username: Timothy_314

Post Number: 71
wow i wish i could get some thing thats stolin if its CHEAP!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 318
Hey, im missing one of those......naw just kidding but yea its gotta be stolen.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 487
NO, it doesn't have to be stolen! Read above. Removing serial numbers is a common practice for these unauthorized, internet dealers. They're covering their tracks.

Silver Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 191
im planning on gettin full jl system on ebay so should i only buy the subs and amp if the serial numbers are on them? or is it ok if there not there and if there not there whats the big deal. just wondering

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 488
You won't know if the serial numbers are there until you get your products.

It's not a big deal unless you want the factory warranty. Just remember, you WILL NOT get a factory warranty on JL from an online dealer. Contact JL Audio and ask them. They don't authorize any online retailers. Now, you just need to figure if the online savings are worth more than the warranty and the outrageous retail price.

Username: Brycew7

B.C., B.C.

Post Number: 9
I bought my 10W7 off ebay, no serial number but it was brand new, i haven't installed it in my car yet but i hooked it up to my buddies 500/1 and it pounded harder then his 2 12" JBL subs.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 801
well just remeber if you break that amp or it dies...u gotta go buy anutha 1...so bass lightly...

thats the drawback to online dealers...no warranty
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us