1 ohm vs 2 ohm or 4ohm ???

Username: Jrincon17

Post Number: 8
ok i hear that running 1 ohm is bad for your speakers or harder on them . i am buy some w6's and i dont want to damage them . remeber i am tarded so speak english !

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 877
Running your speakers at certain ohms is not going to hurt the sub, however it may be bad for your amp. Some amps cannot handle lower ohm loads such as 1 ohm. You just need to know what kind of voice coil configuration your subs have, how to wire them, and wire them for an impedance your amp can take. Let us knwo this information about the subs/amp you want to get and we can help you out.

Post Number: 9
JL 1000/1 AND THE W6 SER 10" FROM JL COULD I RUN THE E1400D AND NOT UNDERPOWER THEM

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 551
the subs are dvc 4ohm, and the 1400d is only 4 and 2ohm stable, which means you'll only be able to run it at 4ohms, getting at most 320w x 1, so each sub will only see 160wrms, maybe a little more cause that amps a little underrated. you need to either run a 1000/1 amp or another amp stable at 1ohm.

Post Number: 10
GOT IT ! SEE IM NOT AS DUMB AS I LOOK !

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2047
i sub use 500/1, 2 subs use 1000/1 and run them series/parallal, for a 4ohm load......

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 188
aren't the JL 1000/1's going to give 1kw at any ohm?

Username: Aflac_guy

Post Number: 1
No, ohms is electrical resistance...whatever the ohm rating is, divide the max power by the ohm's your running them at to get the watts your going to get. Think of it this way, your paddling a boat up stream wiht the same energy to get the boat to move 5 mph but the current going against you, the "resistance" is 3 mph, how fast are you going? 2 mph. Same concept. At least that's a simplified explaination of electrical resistance.

But anyway, my question: Is there a difference in SQ when with different ohm settings? More specifically, I have a sub that I'd like to install, but I'm not looking to make a statement to everyone within a quarter mile that I have subs, they're for my listening pleasure, so I don't need a whole lot of bass, my speakers put out a reasonable amount anyway, I just wanted to get better sounding supporting bass (obviously a 12 inch sub will do better SQ wise then the 6.5 inch component subs, at least I would hope in most cases, if otherwise, I've got to know what kind of components your using!!) and to take some of the load off of my speakers. My sub has 2 impedance set ups available, 2 or 8. Which one would I use for SQ? Or does it make a difference?

Thanks ahead of time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2050
yes it produces 1000w from 1.5-4ohm....

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1861
any of the jl slash series amps put out there rated power 1.5-4 ohms if i am correct they are the only amps that can do that bgecause jl has a patent on it

Gold Member

Post Number: 2053
pheonix gold xeon does also....

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 578
and alpine does now, and some jbl, jl's patent on it ran out beginning of '05
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts