PA vs. MTX

Bronze Member
Username: Gravytrain

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 24
should i get rid of my MTX THUNDER8502 amp and get a Planet Audio BB1250.1 to push my 12" MTX 9500 (single 4 ohm voice coil)?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3678
MTX

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 26
is there another amp that i could get that would be able to push my sub better than the 8502?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1727
the 9500 is svc, wow i thought mtx's best sub would be dvc, but i'd go with the mtx amp, or you could look into the kicker 850.2 it's probally better than both amps and around the same price.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1454
imo, i'd stay with the MTX.........have one currently, and just sold another....I loved them :-)

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 27
well dustin...mtx makes both single and dual voice coil versions of each size of the 9500.

from what i was told, when running only 1 sub per amp, you should use the mono block amps for dual voice coils and use 2 channel amps bridged for single voice coil subs. this is what my local mtx dealer told me as it is also posted on the mtx website under the matching subs to amps page.

i am not 100% certain how acurate it is, but i can tell you that i used the mono block 7801 when i had my 2 8500 12's in the prefab sledgehammer enclosure and things sounded great. i decided to switch to a single 12" 9500 because i need to free up some trunk space. i first used the 7801 and the sub wasnt getting enough power so i switched to the 8502 and things were much better.

my real question should have been do i use a mono block class d amp or a 2channel class ab amp bridged to run one svc sub? or one dvc sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 87
Jason how big was the difference between the 2 12" 8500 and the 1 12" 9500?. did you try the TA91002?

i've done almost the same setup but i did 1 12" 9512-44 (dvc) Sledgehammer enclosure with the TA81001 and it was great, it was very loud, but it was not as loud as when a tested 2 12" 7512-04(svc) sealed enclosure with the same TA81001. now i have 4 of the 7500 sealed wired at 1ohm power by the same Amp. and it is very loud compared with my other setups that i've done. the 7500 are know for spl they produce good spl. they work great even with less power, they are know to work great also sealed. the 8500 and the 9500 are great subs nothing wrong with them, just they require alot of power in order for them to get the same spl as the thunder 7500's.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 480
Class D amps are more efficient and draw less current. The reason your dealer told you to use a 2-channel amp is because your SVC sub can only be ran at the given ohm load. I'll assume your sub is 4 ohms. Most mono amps wouldn't do you much good because they put out their true power at 2 ohms or 1 ohm. Notice I said most. Some of the higher end amps (JL Slash Series) will give you the most output even at 4 ohms. Personally, I wouldn't run one SVC sub unless I were using a high-end amp. It's just not efficient. You're drawing more current than really needed.

If you switched to a single DVC sub, then you could use a Class D mono amp to match up and it would be alot more efficient. A DVC 4 ohm sub would require an amp that puts out its true power at 2 ohms. A DVC 2 ohm sub would require an amp that puts out its true power at 1 ohm.

Bronze Member
Username: Mythy225719

Post Number: 47
JL... MTX aint bad.. but there not that great either...

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 31
james...the sub is a SVC 4ohm and the 9500's only come in single or dual 4ohm vc's.

aruman...i got my 9500 (about 3.5 years ago) before mtx made the TA91002 or the TA81001 so my amp choices were limited. however there is one detail that i forgot to include...at the same time that i switched the amps on the 9500, i added a 5 fared capacitor as well...this definitely helped to add some extra juice to the 8502 but i never got a chance to run it on the 7801.

being that the 7801 is much easier to tune and more powerful than its 2 channel counterpart, i would think that it would be the first choice to be pared with any combo of 9500's (svc or dvc, 1 or 2 subs)...did i make a huge mistake by getting rid of the 7801?

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 90
Jason in your situation the 8502 is better than the 7801, you have the svc version, so i assume you have it wired bridged 4ohm of the 8502 presenting a 500 wrms load compared to the 7801 that is 400 @ 4ohm, and mtx Amps are underrated so you are gettin more than the rated 500 wrms of the 8502, assume you have the right current to feed them.

If you had the dvc version than it will be different, the 7801 will be then sligly better in that case given 800 wrms at 2ohm compared with the 750wrms bridged 2ohm of the 8502. in your case the 91002 will be the best choice of mtx amps, however it's more easy to replace a sub compared to replaced an Amp. i mean replacing your svc 9500 to a dvc 9500 will be cheaper compared if you replaced the Amps, right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us