Amp Problems

Username: Wetwilly1169

Post Number: 4
Ok i have a Jensen PS1220M amp. 650 watt mono subwoofer, Its connected to 2 Sony Xplode 1100 Watt peak power 10 inch subs in a sealed Box.

The problem i am having is about a month to 2 months ago my old amp started acting up and cuting out at random times and coming back on at random times. So i replaced it thinking it was fried.

Well the day i replaced it i tested this new 1 and it seemed to work fine. after about 15 min of driving it cuts out. So after work i start Looking for the problem. Maybe thought it was my battery. Tested the voltage and its sitting at about 11.59V constantly not dropping even when the amp is pulling power. Replaced the battery but yet it still does it.

Had a friend who has delt with this look at it with me and we Rerouted the RCA cables away from the power cable, checked all the levels, checked all the wiring and it still does not work.

I then Bought a Small Converter to convert the Speaker connections from my Highend speakers to RCA connection to connect to my amp. Tested it made sure of the levels and still it does it. I have an identical Set up to my Friends and yet it still does not work.

I am on the edge over this i have no idea what is going on. The amp has a blue light up front along with both the Protection and Power light. When the bass cuts out the Protection does not come one but the power light shuts off yet the blue light stays on that is on the cover of the amp.

Any insite to help would be great i just have no idea what is wrong. It makes no sense to me. I am no expert but i do have a fairly good understanding of Electronics and wiring so any Questions just ask.

Thanx, and hope u can help =(

Note* this was posted in the Subwoofer forum. I deleted and moved it here.

In reply to 1 of the post on the sub forums.
Yes the amp does run hot after only a few min of use.

Silver Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 377
Maybe ground is loose? Or somethings loose?

Post Number: 5
Cant be I Checked them, Ground is Secure. The Speakers are the correct polarity, all (-) and (+) connections are hooked up and are not grounding out any where.

It is acting like an Over heating problem. I have it mounted to the Back of my Box which is Carpeted and it is normally Sandwiched between the Box and The back of a Car Seat. Maybe If i Relocated it In the trunk where air can get to the Back and front of it would help?

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 441
could be^^ move it off the box and don't press it up against the seat can help. or install small fan in trunk if you can't get the amp somewhere else.

or get better amp and/or subs. lol

whats the specs on both the amps and subs?

Post Number: 6
I will have to get back to you on the Subs pretty sure they are DVC Sony P5 10 inch 4 ohms 1100 peak watt but not sure on the DVC SVC.

The amp is a jensen 650 watt mono channel amp. Bought a Jensen Because a Friend of mine has had his Jensen for years and it hasnt given him any troubles. I had some Cheap amp from the local Walmart figured it was an Upgrade. Year ago back i ran a P5 Sony 600watt Mono amp as well but it friend when i tried to Pull to much from it.

The Thermal Lockup , the more i think about it, Just doesnt add up. I have been testing it with my seat down and it open to the air but yet it will still do it ither as my Indash receiver turns on or a few min after wards.

Now the backlight on the Front panal does Flash when the bass hits. Could i need a capacitor? The line voltage is 11.59 V maybe it can power the subs just doesnt have enough juice to Do it all the time?

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 448
no, cap. won't fix you're problem.

and when you post specs, never post peak. they don't mean anything, always go off of rms.

and car audio should never be bought at walmart.

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 387
Only if its a set of DIN tools for ur HU. Lol jk.

Post Number: 7
"and car audio should never be bought at walmart"

Agreed. That is why i replaced the amp.

yeah i will get it all together tomorrow just grabbed what i remembered off the top of my head.

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 449
when you get it post it so someone can help you out a little better.

Post Number: 8
Sony XS-L101P5
Max Output Power 1100 Watt
Nominal Output Power 300 Watt
Sensitivity 88 dB
Impedance 4 Ohm
Response Bandwidth 18 - 2500 Hz

and the amp

Jensen PS1220M
Amplifier Type: Mono
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 220W x 1 @ 4 ohms
THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: <1%
Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 265W x 1 @ 2 ohms
Speaker Level Inputs: yes
Preamp Outputs : yes
Built-In Crossovers: LP
Bass Boost: 0 - 12 dB
Frequency Response: 10-200 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB

Should be It. Let me know if i am missing something.

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 450
well, if you checked all your wiring, connections, and everything else and everything is good, i don't know what. could possibly be overheating where it's mounted, try that. double check all connections agan though to just to make sure everything is correct and not loose.

"Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 265W x 1 @ 2 ohms"

you sure that's what it says? doesn't make much sense to me. is the amp 2ohm stable? cause you can only run 2 svc 4ohm subs at 2 or 8 ohm loads, so if you're amp isn't stable at 2ohms that could definately be the problem.

Silver Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 115
Jensen PS1220M doesn't give out 650 watts
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/jenps1220m.html

The lowest impedence is 2ohm will give out 265w. What is the spec of you Sony Xplode sub ?? and how you're wired those sub ?? It does seem like you have overload your amp.

Post Number: 9
It says it can handle 2ohms, Would a way to test it be Pulling 1 speaker off the amp and seeing if it runs 1 Sub rather then both?

Silver Member
Username: Hockeyknight

Post Number: 148
is ur ground connected to bare metal or is it painted? one of my friends had his ground secured to the painted metal in his trunk and his amp kept cutting out...no protect mode light or anything so we just sanded the paint off the area right around the ground and that fixed it...thats the best i can come up with good luck!

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 411
I think u should give ur amp sum air, it needs to breath, ur suffocating it! LOL jk

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 602
sell it all! jejeje

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 420
lol.

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 421
Sell it all and buy a 268. Lol, love my amp. Every1 who sees it does too.

Kool look^^^its my 420th post.LOL

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 606
people should ask to experts about systems, that's why this forum exists, DON'T GET RIPPED FROM S-TUPID DEALERS AND SELLERS
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us