How much power do i need?

Username: Aduncan_bu

Bonnyville, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
I want to install 2-1600watt amps each running a 2000watt sub in a 2004 pontiac grand prix gt,,,,will my stock altinator hold up if i upgrade my batteries and add a cap,,,,,or do i need to go with a ho altinator?,,,,if so how many amps will i need,,,,i've got the equipment now i need to power it,,,what do i need

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6566
lol,,, u wont need any electrical system upgrades ur stuff is crazy over rated

1600, maybe 200rms

Post Number: 4
So your saying i need nothing?,,,i can just hook this equipmnt straight to my stock battery (with the proper fuses of course) and i won't have any problems with it draining on my electrical system or battery?,,,,I've never done installed sterio equipment before so if you could spell it out for me that would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1831
what brand of amps and subs are you using?? there are a lot of brands out there that overrate their stuff and you will never see outputs even close to 1600 watts or whatever they are rated.

Post Number: 6
my subs are made by power acoustik and the amps are by pyramid,,,the amps are 2x800watt bridage,,,,i realize that both are over rated but how do i tell by how much,,,,i really just want the system to sound good with no side effects on the car

Post Number: 7
I was just reading up on my subs and the rms (could someone explain what 'rms' stands for and means) is recomended at 1000watts,,,,i haven't found the specs on the amps yet

Post Number: 8
I found a spec sheet on the amps and it says the the max current draw is 30A,,,,but i will be running two of these amps so do i double this #,,,so 60A,,,,and back to my first question now,,,will my stock electrical system run this alright?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1841
60A x 14.4V = 864 watts peak. thats the absolute most you'll get before blowing a 60 amp fuse. thats also at the highest possible voltage level your car will see, so it'll actually be less.

do you know what size your stock alternator is?? you'll need about 120amps from the alt.

RMS is Root Mean Square, but basically its the average wattage an amp will put out constantly or the average wattage a sub will take constantly.

Post Number: 9
so the way i see it then if my subs each have an rms rateing of 1000watts and a peak of 2000watts, the 2x800watt brigded amps i have at 30A a piece aren't going to put out even close to what the subs can handle,,,,should i get bigger amps then?,,,,something with an rms closer to what the subs can handle,,,,or will these amps bump those subs just fine,,,,and what would happen if i had an alt that put out way more power then was needed,,,,say like a 200amp or a 220amp alt

Post Number: 10
and by the way you are being such a big help Brandon,,,thanx,,,really helping me understnad this better,,,, thanx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I took a look at my altinator but it doesn't say on it anywhere what it puts out,,,,its the stock alt for an 04' pontiac grand prix,,,if anyone knows what that puts out,,,,if not i'll phone a dealership tomorrow and find out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
and could someone explain why the rms changes depending on weather it 2 ohms or 4 ohms,,,,and what is 'ohms'

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1855
what you have will work, you just have really overrated stuff.

having too large an alternator won't hurt. the bigger the better.

try autozone.com and look up a stock replacement for your car. it'll have the output there. its prob like 80 amps if i had to guess.

the output changed depending on impedance (2 ohms vs. 4 ohms) because the resistance has changed. the lower the resistance, the more current can flow. so thats why you'll get more power with a 2 ohm load then a 4 ohm load. but you have to stay within the amp's limits, or it'll get too hot, go into protection or just burn up.

Ohms is a unit of measure for the resistance to current flow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
so is it the subs that determine the load on my amps?,,,,,and if so, my subs have an rms of 1000watts should i get a better amp so not to overload it the ones i have. Of course i got my stuff on ebay b/c its the cheapest way for some one with no inside conections to go,,,,heres the stuff i got,,,let me know what you think,,,i know its not top of the line but this is also just a starting point for me,,,,it my first system.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/POWER-ACOUSTIK-15-2000w-CAR-AUDIO-SUBWOOFER-SUB-WOOFER_W0QQit emZ8057799679QQcategoryZ38647QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-PYRAMID-BLUE-LIGHT-1600w-2C-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQi temZ8057354412QQcategoryZ38638QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1864
thoes subs are over rated too, so they prob wont take 1000 watts rms like they say and they definally won't take 2000 watts peak!

i say, stick with what you got, hook it all up and see what you think. its not the best as you said, but it may suite your needs. you can always upgrade later on down the road.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 825
Those amps are capable of 700-800w rms at best -- combined. However, you need to consider the fact that your subs are dual 4's and you can only wire a 4 ohm stereo/8 ohm mono load per amp meaning their output will be limited to 200-250 a piece. So in your application you're only going to be running around 500w rms total.

I found two listings for a replacement alt for your car - it seems that 78A might be standard, which is unusually small for an '04, but still I don't think 500w should give you any problems as long as the installation is done well (use at least 4 ga - if you use 8 you'll just be replacing it within the year).
I did find an option at autozone for a 125A alt for about $200.

To make a long story longer, and to answer another one of your questions - yes, the subs determine the impedance the amp sees, and yes I would look into different amplification if I were you. It appears you have a tight budget so I would recommend you check out the Lanzar and Hifonics amps on ebay. The Lanzar Vibe 1200D, 1800D and Heritage 2600D will all give you over 1000w -- 500-600w rms to each sub. From Hifonics the BXI1206D, BXI1606D, BX1200D, BX1205D, bx1500D and BX1505D would all be good matches.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5495
Take Optidriven's advice. That Pyramid amp is all lies. I doubt you will get 700w rms. You can call Pyramid and they will NOT tell you the actual power of the amp.
Look at the fine print on their website, it says that they have the right to change anything at anytime.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks for all the suggestions on a different amp,,,i never thought about running both subs off one amp, thats probablly what i'll do,,,,I've been looking at some of your suggestions and the one thing that i keep running into is the different power ratings at differnet ohms,,,,how do i know what resistance my subs will give and which bracket i should be looking at

Bronze Member
Username: Swisher

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 60
" did find an option at autozone for a 125A alt for about $200"

why not just buy a bigger HO alt for a little bit more in excessive amperages group buy...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
one step ahead of you,,,already put in my order

Bronze Member
Username: Excessiveamps

Dothan, Alabama Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 68
Can you email me your info when you get a chance ? Your name, forum name and vehicle info. Thanks.
NaTe

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 835
"the one thing that i keep running into is the different power ratings at differnet ohms,,,,how do i know what resistance my subs will give and which bracket i should be looking at "

Those subs are dvc 4's. With a pair there are two practical ways to wire them - parallel parallel for a 1 ohm load - like this:

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 836
Upload

Or series parallel for a 4 ohm load - like this:
Upload

I would recommend the first method because class D amps are much more efficient than a/b amps, which is what you'd be looking for if you go the 4 ohm route.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 837
those subs are rated for 1000w rms a piece, but I would guess 500w or so each would give you plenty of power to work with.

So you're looking for 1000-2000w rms at 1 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
right on,,,,,that should work out good,,,thanx for the help,,,,i'm sure i'll have more questions before its all bump'n in my trunk but for now thats all i need to know till i start the install
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us