Testing for power output

Bronze Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 91
I have a multimeter that I purchased from Advance Auto Parts and I tested my soundstream PCA2000d with two kicker L5 15s. I use the formula volts squared divided by ohms equals watts and I got some weird answers. I tested for resistence and i got 1.5 ohms on the amp. then i tested voltage on 20v and 200v scales however, the 20v scale reads up to 70 volts for like a second then it keeps changing up and down and it is difficult to determine an average. on the 200v scale it reads 0 volts so i am very confused. can someone help me test my amplifier for output power ratings?

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 266
get a sine wave in "downloads" from realmofexcursion.com and then go to AC voltage (~) on ye DMM. play that sine wave (45hz is a good choice) and test away!

try some of the sine sweeps to figure out which frequency knocks out the most from yer subs.

to measure resistance, disconnect the subs' speaker wires from the amp, and hold their ends to the test lead tips. hold em still, the resistance will drop slowly on yer DMM and stop at the proper load.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1846
that still doesn't tell the output. you can't measure without a load. the load will greatly affect the output. also, the enclosure will play a role.

you can always take the fuse rating and multiply that by what your car's voltage is and that'll give you the max wattage before the fuse will blow.

I think BCAE1.com has something on this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us