Newbie need to know about OHMS

Username: Djcool563

Post Number: 2
Hello guys i am new to this kinda of stuff but i wanted to know what Ohm means. I have seen 2 ohm and 4 ohm and differnt amounts of wattage the amp can give depending on which one. I was wondering what is an ohm?which is better? can i change the ohms? any help would be great thanks.
DJ

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 819
an ohm is just a measure of resistance, as a foot is a measure of length.

Matching subs to an amp can be confusing for a beginner - there are many different configurations of subs - some single voice coils, some dual. Most common are single 4 ohm coils, dual 4 and dual 2 are common as well.

It might be easier to let us know what subs/amps interest you and we can help you understand how they match up.

Post Number: 3
OK i know i will probably get bad posts because of this but i ordered this on ebay before finding this site and really knowing what i was doing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5881789625%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT%26

I plan on upgrading sometime later after i upgrade my entire system in my car. Thanks guys
DJ

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 419
if you bought that, you got ripped!

Post Number: 4
Im sure i did but i think it will work for a while can anyone tell me what i wanted to know about ohms?

Bronze Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 87
Check Opti's post, he know what he talking about. And I'm not knocking on you for buying that but what the heck is Mitzu Audio? DJ, go to search, search by keyword and type in "list" click on the first result. This list will help. As far as ohms go check other threads.

Post Number: 5
Ok i think i got what Ohm by reading some other threads. I know it is prolly a cheap product but like i said i dont really know much and it looked like a good deal at the time.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 88
Like I said I wasn't trying to rip on you personally. When your ready to upgrade check back here and most people will help you out. Just make sure you have a budget in mind. Also, if you want e-mail me when your ready to upgrade and I might be able to hook you up with something. elriffe@hotmail.com

Sullivan, Ohio

Post Number: 6
Thanks hopefully i will be able to upgrade soon when i get my new job.

Sullivan, Ohio

Post Number: 7
Ok for those subs it says they have a 4 phm impedence does that mean it has to be 4 ohm or greater or can they work at say 2 ohms? Also is an ohm the messure of wireing the single has to travel through? If so how much is 1 ohm ect.? Thanks
DJ

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 446
www.the12volt.com read ohms law and check woofer wiring so you can get a diagram

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 822
with that amp and those subs you simply connect one sub per channel - each channel will "see" 4 ohms. That's all there is to it.

For future reference - if you were to connect the subs (any pair of svc 4 ohm subs) together on a single channel (monoblock) amp you could connect them parallel like this:
Upload
Which would present a 2 ohm load to the amp.

Speaker resistance is constant (well, not technically, but don't worry about that at this point). The only thing that can change is the load the amps "sees" by wiring multiple speakers, or speakers with more than one voice coil to produce the desired load at the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us