Mtx 1501d/81000d...run at 1 ohm?

Bronze Member
Username: Bassheadjosh

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 39
Anyone have any experience running these amps at 1 ohm? I have 3 12" audiobahn alumq 12's...yes I know everyone here hates audiobahn, but I bought them cuz I heard a few and they're decent. I just want to know if I can run them at 1 ohm off of a 1501d.

Bronze Member
Username: Nveselinovic16v

Post Number: 55
i had 4 mtx 1501 and all were working on 1 ohm... Do you want to modd your amp maybe?

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 40
Does it have to be modded? I'm not much of an electrical genius...

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7396
i read up on modding amps - they say it shortens the lifespan so personally i would not even bother trying it .

my motto - give the amp the load the manufacturer tells u

Also the problem with 3 sub config is u always get a weird fraction of ohm load ...

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
do not modd the amp unless u want to enter comps. It' not worth it. Mine did get warm. But only warm.
Excellent amps, had to sell them cause of need for stronger mono amp. If mtx made afordable 3kw amp i'd go easylliy with it...

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 41
Ok sweet. Maybe I'll just pick up one of those then. Thanks for the help guys. Rovin, I already know that the subs will come out to 1 ohm if I wire everything in parallel. The Alumq's are dual 6 ohm subs, I have 3...math is one of my strong points lol.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1623
don't forget that since the amp is rated at 2ohms it will put out double the power at 1ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
you really thin it can put out 2kw @ 1 ohm? :-)
not likely

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1627
well if it puts out 1000wrms@2ohms then yes i do think it will put out 2000wrms at 1ohm, isn't that how it works, it does on my amp 300@4ohms, 600@2ohms and 1200@1ohm. so yes it should put 2000wrms, well untill the amp overheats and shuts off, or you blow fuses all the time.

Bronze Member
Username: Don_beeski

Bourbonnais, IL Kankakee

Post Number: 18
Does anyone know of a good amp to run 2 12" cvx subs? The subs are 4 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
it does not work that way. some amps do some not. by switching the load from 4 to 2 ohms the amp changes stability and its usage percentage. that means that i can only dream of 12kw when i take the load from 1ohm to 0.25 ohm on my Z1

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 42
Yeah nemanja, I'm with you on this one. I'm not expecting more than the 1500 rms at 14.4 volts. There are verry few amps that I've seen that actually do double power output when going from 2 ohms to 1 ohm. For example, a favorite of smalltime competitors the JBL BP1200.1...same power at 2 ohms or 1 ohms...I have been thinking though. The 1501d doesn't have a subsonic crossover and I'm putting my subs in a ported box so it may not be the best bet for me...I've heard a few audiobahn amps and read on this forum that they actually put out the power they're rated at, so maybe I'll pick up the 2150hct or the 2200hct...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us