Need experienced opinion of Kenwood amps YO

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 623
I seem to remember hearing a few minor bad things about Kenwood amps, but I have a friend who works at a local car audio shop who can get me the current model Excelon Amp that does "1017" rms at 1 ohm, for $240 with the factory warranty.

I really would like to be able to buy it today after work, instead of messing around with shipping and internet dealers.

Is this a decent amp or what?

Thanks yo

Bronze Member
Username: Gkaste

Post Number: 20
Go for it.

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 265
i have a small kenwood 4 channel and never had a problem with it, but have heard bad things about there bigger mono amps. friend has a kenwood mono running two kicker 12" comps and he always has problems with the amp shutting off and getting too hot.

don't know bout the excelon line though.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 410
lewass that excelon should be fine, i saw the numbers of that model and has been rated at 12.5 and 14.4, so it should be doing 1000w rms like it says

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5473
Kenwood amps are overrated. You won't get as advertised.
However, if you can get a good deal on it, then go for it. It'll do for your sub(s). Just don't use it to power W7 subs.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 624
It is CEA 2006 compliant, 2006 model, KAC-X812D brand new.

Doesn't that mean it is proven power?

Also, he can sell me a Orion 1200D for $330, brand new also, which sounded a little too good to be true, but he wouldn't lie to me, so maybe he just looked it up wrong, I'm not sure. If I can get the 1200D for $330, it's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I know it is probably a smart idea, what do you think?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 625
OK I think he meant Orion HCCA-D1200, which is only 600 at 1 ohm...

But there's no way it would be $330 for only 600 rms at the discount. Doesn't make sense, I'll check it out when I get there.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5476
If it's CEA 2006 compliant, then it should produce the rated power. It however, does mean quality. It could be a $hitty amp that just puts out under the test.
That Orion HCCA amp is for some odd reason, very costly. Maybe they're trying to put quality back into it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us