Ratios

Username: Gkaste

Post Number: 1
I am going to be putting a system in my car, with 4 new door speakers and 2 subs.

I want to build this system to produce top quality sound that is affordable to me. I do also want it to be loud, but quality is the priority.

I have narrowed myself down to a couple of amp options:

1) One Aura 4 channel amp and one Aura 2 channel amp.
This would give me 50 watts rms to each door speaker and 540 watts rms to the subs.

2) Alphasonik 5 channel amp.
This would give me 75 watts rms to each door speaker and 320 watts rms to the subs.

Both options cost exactally the same, around $220. To me the alphasonik is much more stylish, but Im going to let the priority be sound quality, not show off ability.

Which of those seems like the best situation. At first thought to me the first route seems like the ratio is way off; the subs recieve 10x the power of each door speaker. The second option seems more balanced. Is it? Or does it even matter? Is 320 watts to the subs going to be too weak? I am getting a pair of 10s or 12s ID overstocks.

Any input would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

Garrett

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1051
so seems like you got the subs picked out.. those are IDq's? .. how much you willing to spend.. and what do u have to buy. speakers, Head Unit, amplifiers?

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 802
i wouldnt get any of those amps. get better for 200 bucks

Post Number: 3
I am getting some of the ID overstocks (see ebay). 10" 350watt rms for $85 shipped and 12" 250 watt rms for $65. Not sure which I want, 10s have a little better specs. If you check out the specs you will see they are an awesome deal for the dollar. Ive already talked to Eric over at ID and know Ill like them.

All I have to buy is amps, speakers, subs, and build a box.

bassman3...care to share anything more than your unsupported opinion?

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1052
those amps arent that great.. built quality isnt up there by any means.. so you do have a head unit? cause that is the brain that can make or break the system.. for the sub size id personally get the 12's especially if u have room for them, they will hit just as quick and hit the lower notes better.. for amps look into orion,kicker, phoenix gold makes some good amps for the price.. and a little higher end would be a jl 300/4 (for speakers)top of the line speaker amp but ur lookin at 380 for that one.
what voice coil config are you getting for the subwoofers

Post Number: 4
I am retaining my stock headunit. Just using a LOC. I want to keep the stock look and save the pain. I dont know if you have ever put a new headunit in a taurus, but its not worth it. Mostly its to keep a stock look though.

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1054
you should be able to get an adapter plate from any audio store to switch with the one from the factory so u can use aftermarket decks, should be like 20 bucks tops, an loc will help you with the amps but it still doesnt give u the control a decent aftermarket deck will get you.. if u are set on keeping the stock deck look into the Jl audio Cleansweep. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94

Post Number: 5
No, its not that cheap. Try 60-80 bucks for the plate and wires. Then have to buy a head unit. Lot of money for next to no gain. Its actually a loss becuase I want a stock look.

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1058
? you dont need wires there already there, audio wise there is not going to be a loss by any means, it will much improve the system.. but i know where ur comming from alot of people like to keep the dash and things stock and not mess with it.. the clean sweep plugs into your oem head unit and basically turns it into a pretty good aftermarket one.. it boosts the signal. recalibrates your HU eq via. a Cd you load in... its a little pricey at around 370 but just a suggestion

Post Number: 7
In the taurus in the front console there is a cd player and a bunch of buttons. The radio and stock amp is in the trunk. It would be a mess to add in headunit, not to mention it looks goofy on the taurus. A cd player is very small compared to the taurus stock, so lots of dead ugly space.

That clean sweep looks nice, but very expensive. I got a real nice LOC and between everything I will have very sufficent adjustments.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us