Anyone here ever worked at BestBuy ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3498
What is the discount of working there like. Im looking for a partime job. Do guys there get commission or not. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 749
5% over cost

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1295
dont be acting like those other dumbasses if ur gonna work in the car audio

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3500
lol

Bronze Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 51
ive herd its 5% more then waht besbuy actually pays for the item.... its REALLLLLY good and i would never leave there if i got a job there... no matter what... but as you can probably guess its very hard to get a job there... especially for me cuz i dint even finish high school yet =\

Bronze Member
Username: Genocyde21

Post Number: 11
my friend works there. They don't make commission. But the discount is sweat. He bought me a sub for my b-day, the thing was 99,99 and he got it for 49.99

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2768
the only reason i would work at best buy would be to get an LCD widescreen for like half price $$$$$:-) lol

Silver Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 109
Couldnt u....like buy everything really cheap on the discount u get if u work there and sell it on ebay or somthinG??

Username: Kungpow

Post Number: 10
Isn't it better at Circuit City. 1 order a year no questions asked at around 75% off.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 610
I've worked at both. Best Buy is indeed 5% over cost. (Where's sean to say "Holy midnight-tokers, batman, I just keep on learning from Polo!") Circuit City's discount is worse. They (management) were never able to tell me exactly how the discount worked, because they didn't know. Most people said it was at cost. It may be at cost, but it is still worse than Best Buy's discount, because their cost is apparently less than CC's. Every single time I compared the discounts on an item (which I did at least 5 or 6 times) Best Buy's was either equal or better.

Both places try to regulate what you buy and are usually fairly strict in enforcing it. Both also require you to be an employee for 30 days before it becomes active. If you are going to be buying more $$ than you are making, they will fire you with the quickness.

Also, I believe the discount applies to you and only immediate family members that live with you. You always have to be there in person to make the purchase.

Believe it or not, the BEST way to take advantage of the employee discount is not through the discount itself, but through "employee accomodations" from various outside vendors. For example, when I worked there, I could order from a huge list of Infinity/Harmon Kardon products brand new from the factory at over 70% off! I remember the highest end 12" Kappa Perfect was $420 msrp and they had it for $109. Along with all of their amps/speakers/etc..

I became aware of the employee accomodations site while working at Circuit City, and it was there I found out that many of these accomodations were available for Best Buy employee's too, but they never bothered to inform their employees about it.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 611
Oh and I almost forgot, neither place is commission, but as an installer you do get lots of "leads" to do side job installs, and you can make good loot doing it. Of course they will fire you if they find that out too.

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 505
Lewass did you find the employee accomodations from a co worker at CC?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 619
Circuit City has it's own "employee's only" website that can only be accessed from computers inside the store, there you will find the current list of accomodations, and they have some amazing promotions!

While I worked there they offered the XM2go for $30 just to cover shipping, and you also had to sign up for a 6 month XM subscription, but they gave you the unit, it's home and car docks, totalling about $300 if I remember right, during a time when stores were completely sold out.

It just depends on the promotion, some of them have a username and password that changes every month, and if you have the password, you can access the site from home. They do require proof that you work there though, for you scammers out there... LOL

But to answer your question, there is a list of current promotions on the employee in store web site for circuit city, and it was in reading the terms and conditions that I noticed that Best Buy employee's (and many other audio shops) were also eligible. Basically if your store sells a certain product, and this product is from a large reputable company, there is a good chance that the company will offer you a discount on it so that you know how to better sell it to the customers.

Also a lot of them worked by you taking their "classes" online. Samsung for example, if you did a lot of "e-learning's" about their products, they would offer you more and more money discounted off of a purchase, depending how many classes you completed. (These were a pain in the a.ss and most of the time weren't worth the time, but it all just depends.)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 754
Don't believe them when they say they don't get a commision, in truth they don't but there department will "Bonus" in which they split. I am employed by BestBuy but in no way am controlled by them like a majority are. Don't getme wrong it is an ok place to work at but if they don't want you there, YOU WILL BE GONE, QUICK..! Polo..:-O

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 755
Oh, and I am not one of those STUPID @SS'S that work in the store either.Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 508
Do you have to be MECP certified to get a installer job there and is the pay for a installer good?

Silver Member
Username: Shepyjay

Ont Canada

Post Number: 110
yes you have to be mecp certified and the pay it depends on experience make more money if your a super or manager

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 765
Probably have to suck more D!CK too, hahahahha.Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 195
hay polo....which bestbuy u work at...what streets?

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 768
I don't work at the store. I work at 610, distribution. I wouldn't work at one of the stores, unless they retrained everyone else, lol. Polo.. :-O

Bronze Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 63
hey im intrested in gettin MECP certified i searched it on the itnerent real quick and found out it cost some loot... is there any age requirments or any requirments at all and does anyone kno a free way to get the material to study or any information i cna use on it.... also while were on a bestbuy thread... whats starting minumum wage for like cashier.

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 245
minimum wage depends on what state you live in. just call bb and ask a manager what they pay.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1491
I work at CC, i do sales and light install work like headunits and amp/sub, sat radio install.

I make $11 an hour and the tips as an installer are pretty desent. (about 100 a week in tips alone)

As for discounts, the instore discount isnt all that great, but "accomidation discounts" are AMAZTING.

For example, An Eclipse CD5000 (msrp is 550) i can get for 275 straight from eclipse.

A Kicker 2400.1 amp, MSRP is 1,699,99. I can get it for 510 straight from kicker.

They do regulate what you order, but thats mainly the company, most companies will allow you to purchase 1 entire system a year through accomidations. If you get in good with your boss, he'll let you get a good in store discount whenever you really want/need. Open box items can also be your best friend, if you're in good with your maanger he'll take up to like 60% off the cost.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us